The Student Room Group

Exam clashes with Latin AS

Does anyone else have a clash with their Latin exam? Anyone on OCR Chemistry doing the second paper or Edexcel maths doing C2? I have clashes with both! And in both cases I have to do Latin second and I'd so much rather do it first, it's going to be such a nightmare, especially considering the chemistry exam is 1h45, I feel like I'm going to fail Latin just because the entire AS Level is a clash?

If any of you have a clash, how are you going to deal with revision/that exam? h e l p
Reply 1
My latin language clashes with OCR MEI stats, and one of my Class. Civ. papers clashes with C2 maths. :frown:

Luckily my latin teacher is the exams officer, so shes arranged for me to take latin first. I'm just revising for both subjects, which is actually ok because I get bored if I try to study the same subject for too long.

Why does you latin and chem clash? I thought the rule was that if the total exam time is over 3 hours one exam gets to be moved to another session. Both of my clashes are 3 hours totl, so I just get a supervised break between the two to clear my head.
Reply 2
Original post by avoxgirl
Does anyone else have a clash with their Latin exam? Anyone on OCR Chemistry doing the second paper or Edexcel maths doing C2? I have clashes with both! And in both cases I have to do Latin second and I'd so much rather do it first, it's going to be such a nightmare, especially considering the chemistry exam is 1h45, I feel like I'm going to fail Latin just because the entire AS Level is a clash?

If any of you have a clash, how are you going to deal with revision/that exam? h e l p

I have a similar clash: edexcel chemistry 2 and latin literature...

Btw it's optional to do the exams later if its over 3 hours but then there's the whole annoying process of making sure you don't cheat at home etc. so it's usually best to just do the exams next to each other anyway

i'm particularly worried as both papers require loads of content (translations, mechanisms) to remember. I'm doing chem first then latin, as we're allowed a half hour break in between where I can just do a last minute cram of the translations.
I've got a clash between Economics and English Literature. I hate English and I've pretty much given up on it because it's irrelevant to anything I plan on doing in the rest of my life, so I'm just focussing on Economics. I can see why you're worried though. I'd just relax and try not to worry about it - the more you stress the harder it's going to be to remember the facts.
Reply 4
Original post by Piguy
i'm particularly worried as both papers require loads of content (translations, mechanisms) to remember. I'm doing chem first then latin, as we're allowed a half hour break in between where I can just do a last minute cram of the translations.

i know, it's the worst clash i could possibly have got, other than c4 but that's an a2 so there is no way they could have clashed.
are you allowed to revise in your break? i thought you weren't because other people have already sat the exam
Reply 5
i know, it's the worst clash i could possibly have got, other than c4 but that's an a2 so there is no way they could have clashed.
are you allowed to revise in your break? i thought you weren't because other people have already sat the exam

You're allowed to bring snacks and revision material before sitting the first exam to the isolation room, which you're allowed to use while in the break... depends on how nice your examinations officer is basically, but you are definitely allowed as a similar thing happened to me last year.
Reply 6
Original post by Piguy
You're allowed to bring snacks and revision material before sitting the first exam to the isolation room, which you're allowed to use while in the break... depends on how nice your examinations officer is basically, but you are definitely allowed as a similar thing happened to me last year.

oh that sounds good I'm going to speak to my exams' officer when I'm in school on friday for S1, fun. what other subjects do you take, may I ask?
Reply 7
oh that sounds good I'm going to speak to my exams' officer when I'm in school on friday for S1, fun. what other subjects do you take, may I ask?

I'm taking quite an odd combination... physics, chemistry, latin and english literature, plus I'm taking further maths outside of normal timetable (did maths last year :P) I'll probably have to drop Latin next year, cause I'm really struggling with Ovid this year and I'm not sure that I'll manage A2, though bit disappointed won't do Aeneid.

what else do you take?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Piguy
I'm taking quite an odd combination... physics, chemistry, latin and english literature, plus I'm taking further maths outside of normal timetable (did maths last year :P) I'll probably have to drop Latin next year, cause I'm really struggling with Ovid this year and I'm not sure that I'll manage A2, though bit disappointed won't do Aeneid.

what else do you take?

ha you took exactly what I would have taken, had my school offered English Lit. A Level instead of the Pre-U. Doing Physics, Chem, Latin and Further Maths, but probably going to drop Latin next year and take another AS in something else. Latin is far too much work, and I don't have time to learn the Ovid or get to grips with the Cicero, ugh.
Reply 9
ha you took exactly what I would have taken, had my school offered English Lit. A Level instead of the Pre-U. Doing Physics, Chem, Latin and Further Maths, but probably going to drop Latin next year and take another AS in something else. Latin is far too much work, and I don't have time to learn the Ovid or get to grips with the Cicero, ugh.

Nice, I thought I was the only one who liked English and Maths. What (and where) are you planning for uni?

Learning the texts is a pain, although for latin A2 in the literature side you don't actually need to learn the translation for the set-text perfectly because you're only given essay's (two 25 markers in about 1hour) in the exam.
Reply 10
Original post by Piguy
Nice, I thought I was the only one who liked English and Maths. What (and where) are you planning for uni?

Learning the texts is a pain, although for latin A2 in the literature side you don't actually need to learn the translation for the set-text perfectly because you're only given essays (two 25 markers in about 1hour) in the exam.

Oh you're not the only one haha, I love English. Sometimes I wish I'd taken it even though it's a Pre-U, would have been so much easier than Latin. Really? There are two 15 mark translations, one for each (Ovid and Cicero) or are you doing the Lit in 2 parts?
Reply 11
Oh you're not the only one haha, I love English. Sometimes I wish I'd taken it even though it's a Pre-U, would have been so much easier than Latin. Really? There are two 15 mark translations, one for each (Ovid and Cicero) or are you doing the Lit in 2 parts?

I mean for the A2 exam you're never asked to translate the set text, it's just essays, unlike for the AS which does have the 15 mark translations and mini essay questions.
Reply 12
Original post by Piguy
I mean for the A2 exam you're never asked to translate the set text, it's just essays, unlike for the AS which does have the 15 mark translations and mini essay questions.

oh that's easier... why isn't AS like that!? but no set vocab list for language though.
Reply 13
oh that's easier... why isn't AS like that!? but no set vocab list for language though.

I'd love it if they had made AS like that, though you have to remember Latin is first and foremost a language / translation subject, not an essay one, so I think they'd be asking a bit too much for candidates progressing from gcse to start writing essays immediately at AS level when they're used to just translating and making short comments on language.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending