The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE - Unit 3 (P3,B3,C3) New specification papers.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1560
How did everyone fond the B3 exam...? Personally, I flopped it because I had a panic attack in the exam - so I just went blank :'( Plus, this exam was the exam I was most prepared for... :frown: - so that was very upsetting...

But, yeah anyways.. I have one question on P3 which don't really understand... - can anyone help me please??
As for concave lens (diverging) what difference does it make if the object is either inside or outside the focal point...? Just like the convex lens.. When it is outside the focal point it produces a real image whereas when it is inside the focal point the image is virtual... ? I hope you get what I mean... :confused:
Aww, Arhsii don't be go disheartened about biology, it was a hard paper, most peolpe didn't do as well as expected and besied, by looking at the poll of how the test went for everyone, lower grade boundaries are anticipated.

What do you think you got /60?
Reply 1562
Original post by Arshii
How did everyone fond the B3 exam...? Personally, I flopped it because I had a panic attack in the exam - so I just went blank :'( Plus, this exam was the exam I was most prepared for... :frown: - so that was very upsetting...

But, yeah anyways.. I have one question on P3 which don't really understand... - can anyone help me please??
As for concave lens (diverging) what difference does it make if the object is either inside or outside the focal point...? Just like the convex lens.. When it is outside the focal point it produces a real image whereas when it is inside the focal point the image is virtual... ? I hope you get what I mean... :confused:

As far as I know (someone please pick me up on it if I'm wrong), the distance from a diverging or concave lens doesn't affect the TYPE of image produced, only it's size. In other words the further objects are away from a diverging lens, the more diminished the image. The image is always virtual, diminished and closer to the lens than the object wherever the object is relative to the lens so in other words, images from diverging lenses can never be projected onto a screen.
yeah that's right i believe
Reply 1564
Original post by Captain Anonymous
Aww, Arhsii don't be go disheartened about biology, it was a hard paper, most peolpe didn't do as well as expected and besied, by looking at the poll of how the test went for everyone, lower grade boundaries are anticipated.

What do you think you got /60?

Thanks! And..Really..? I really do hope the grade boundaries are low! To be completely honest.. i think i may get about 30ishh - But, I don't why I paniked - I'm so stupid >.< (I actually got stuck on the first question which, like lowered my confidence during the whole exam and knowing the fact the heart was actually one of my favorite&strongest topic and getting blanked was just crazy!)
What about you.. ? How did you find the exam..?

Original post by CD223
As far as I know (someone please pick me up on it if I'm wrong), the distance from a diverging or concave lens doesn't affect the TYPE of image produced, only it's size. In other words the further objects are away from a diverging lens, the more diminished the image. The image is always virtual, diminished and closer to the lens than the object wherever the object is relative to the lens so in other words, images from diverging lenses can never be projected onto a screen.

Oh okay! thank you so much! :wink: x
Reply 1565
I did but B3 and B2 (B2 was a resit), unfortunately it was one after the other with no break in between. It wasn't too bad though, but I found B3 easier. Everyone else that did both said B2 was easier. What do you guys think? If you remember B2 enough to make a comparison, which was harder?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1566
Original post by Arshii
Thanks! And..Really..? I really do hope the grade boundaries are low! To be completely honest.. i think i may get about 30ishh - But, I don't why I paniked - I'm so stupid >.< (I actually got stuck on the first question which, like lowered my confidence during the whole exam and knowing the fact the heart was actually one of my favorite&strongest topic and getting blanked was just crazy!)
What about you.. ? How did you find the exam..?

Oh okay! thank you so much! :wink: x

No problem! I'm so worried about P3 because we rushed it, and I have English lit on the same day...

Could anyone help me in forming an explanation as to why a freely suspended object only comes to rest when its centre of mass is directly below the point of suspension?
Reply 1567
can someone give me some tips on how to revise for C3 i need like 90ums marks to get an A lol mostly not gonna happen but u have to try!!!!!
Thanks
Original post by CD223
No problem! I'm so worried about P3 because we rushed it, and I have English lit on the same day...

Could anyone help me in forming an explanation as to why a freely suspended object only comes to rest when its centre of mass is directly below the point of suspension?

it's because it's only when the C.O.M (Centre Of Mass) is directly under the point of suspension, that the object reaches equilibrium and when the anticlockwise moment = clockwise moment.
the object "wants" to reach equilibrium, which only happens when C.O.M is below point of suspension.
Reply 1569
Original post by Graviton-Pulse
it's because it's only when the C.O.M (Centre Of Mass) is directly under the point of suspension, that the object reaches equilibrium and when the anticlockwise moment = clockwise moment.
the object "wants" to reach equilibrium, which only happens when C.O.M is below point of suspension.

Thank you :smile: So when an object is suspended could you say there's a resultant moment due to the line of action of its weight acting downwards, until the COM is vertically below the pivot point?

With physics I always struggle to know what terminology the mark scheme is getting at...
Original post by CD223
Thank you :smile: So when an object is suspended could you say there's a resultant moment due to the line of action of its weight acting downwards, until the COM is vertically below the pivot point?

With physics I always struggle to know what terminology the mark scheme is getting at...

yes, and say that it reaches equilibrium where the anticlockwise moment =clockwise moment
Glad i could help :biggrin:
Hey guysss :smile:
Quick question. How much would I need for an A* in :

Chemistry -
C1 - 89
C2 - 93
ISA - 43/50

Physics -
P1 - 92
P2 - 97
ISA - 43/50

In terms of UMS and an estimate of raw marks too, please :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pinkgorilla
Hey guysss :smile:
Quick question. How much would I need for an A* in :

Chemistry -
C1 - 89
C2 - 93
ISA - 43/50

Physics -
P1 - 92
P2 - 97
ISA - 43/50

In terms of UMS and an estimate of raw marks too, please :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you assume that 43 in the ISA's will secure you 96 UMS then you'll need 82 UMS in Chemistry and 75 UMS in Physics for an A*.

As for raw marks, it totally depends on the exam. However, judging by your past performances I wouldn't be worried at all if I was you.
Reply 1573
A diverging lens never produces a real image, it's always virtual

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1574
Because the suspended object has a force of weight and therefor has a line of action frim it's centre of mass. The point of suspension acts as the pivot(in a way) and it is only when the object is directly below the "pivot" that the line of action of the weight of the object(which has a force) is 0 distance from the point of suspension (pivot) so there is no moment produced to make it swing:smile:
Sorry if this makes no sense!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What UMS marks would you say these ISA marks are worth?

Chemistry: 40/50
Biology: 39/50
Physics: 40/50

Many Thanks, Henry :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1576
Talking minimum here:
39=81
40=85
40= 85
:smile: so you have nothing to worry about!
Hi, in my ISA's I got,
C: 44/50
B: 44/50
P: 43/50
Am i still on track for A*'s?
Reply 1578
People can you all please work out your own grades or UMS points needed. You add up all of your UMS and take it away from 360 if you're aiming for A*, or 320 if you're aiming for an A
Original post by luluellz
Talking minimum here:
39=81
40=85
40= 85
:smile: so you have nothing to worry about!

Thank you for that! :smile:

Quick Reply