The Student Room Group

The OFFICIAL AQA AS Philosophy May 2013 Exams Thread. (Units 1&2)

Scroll to see replies

Please someone explain regularity and necessity to me in terms of free will and determinism. I'm really confused on it.
What are weaknesses of Hume in terms of free will and determinism?
Regularity relates to regular occurances and is how we formulate the laws of nature - it relates to trends and patterns we see so is a compatibilist argument.
Causal necessity is the idea that some events must be caused and we know this given the laws of nature ( we know if you drop a pen it will fall to the ground because of gravity) so is therefore a deterministic argument.
I hope this helps!:smile:
[QUOTE=>Username

Kant accuses Humes definition of free will as "word jugglery" and a criticism is that the way describes free will (our character - our will) is a determinist approach. Whilst Hume doesn't call himself a determinist it's what many people say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For tolerance if we were to get a question on the 'good life', how would you go about structuring it and what content would you include?
Original post by EleanorKeats
Neutrality based liberalism view differs from autonomy-based liberalism (Mill, Locke).
Autonomy-based liberals focus on a conception of ‘the good life’ or ‘the good for man’: this is constituted by liberty, individualism and diversity.
However, some liberals prefer to be neutral concerning conceptions of what constitutes a good life: toleration refers only to the political process through which disagreements are aired and resolved.
The emphasis is on a shared commitment to rational procedures to resolve differences in the political sphere for example, those that occur through religious diversity in the UK this is more important than any conception of what a good life in itself would consist in.

In other words, neutrality based liberals don't care what the 'good life' is and think it's more important to resolve our differences through discussion. Classical liberals believe that we have the right to autonomy (to make all own decisions), without any state interference as we cannot be forced into believing something we don't believe. The only limit is that we shouldn't tolerate violence.

Hope that helps.

Also, I'm definitely a radical.

so essentially netural based liberals just see it as pragmatic but autonomy liberals see it as also having other values such as the good life? thanks :smile:

Original post by EleanorKeats
For tolerance if we were to get a question on the 'good life', how would you go about structuring it and what content would you include?

I would probably start by outlining Mill's arguments for tolerance and liberty; they allow people to better themselves as individuals are unique and have different needs and can also find new ways for life to flourish.

i might then look at criticisms from conservatives such as devlin that perhaps it is more utilitarian to not tolerate minorities such as homosexuals if the majority dissapprove, or that too much liberty and tolerance can be bad as people are irrational and need moral/social guidance.

i'd counter these points by saying that the strife of a minority far outweighs the inconvenience of the majority, providing that their practices are not harmful, and that tolerating minorities might actualy benefit the majority anyway; and a social/moral background can create a tyranny of the majority which can be as detrimental as legal law for minorities, and that perhaps a bit of irrational behaviour is better than the social oppression that minorities can face. so i'd conclude that tolerance of minorities is beneficial for society and needed for the good life as we are fallible and need to be tolerant to allow society to find new ideas to flourish and to allow individuals to find their own paths to fulfilment.

(make sure to find some illustrations for each point) hope that helps
can someone please outline to me where Hume stands with free will and determinism? I don't understand what my textbook says.
Original post by Charlotte:))
Regularity relates to regular occurances and is how we formulate the laws of nature - it relates to trends and patterns we see so is a compatibilist argument.
Causal necessity is the idea that some events must be caused and we know this given the laws of nature ( we know if you drop a pen it will fall to the ground because of gravity) so is therefore a deterministic argument.
I hope this helps!:smile:

I thought regularity was referring to determinism... How we expect things to happen i.e cause and effect?
Can someone outline some tolerance essays or write up there essay plans it would be great!
Sorry for changing the subject slightly but does anyone have any idea what 90 and 100ums is on the PHIL1 paper generally? Like mark wise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 310
Original post by PaulyRivs
Teach me some stuff about Tolerance if you have the time to! :biggrin:

Hi, want to do some tolerance Q & A? :smile:
Reply 311
Anyone up for Tolerance Q and A?
How can artwork be seen as epiphanic?
Reply 313
Original post by LordFishlock
Sorry for changing the subject slightly but does anyone have any idea what 90 and 100ums is on the PHIL1 paper generally? Like mark wise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

About 62/63+ is 90-100 UMS. I think 100 is around 67/68. Some guy on my class managed to get 65, which was 94 UMS.
Original post by >Username<
Is this question related to PHIL1 or PHIL2?

You posted it after the PHIL1 exam, so I assume its to do with PHIL2? But sense date relates to PHIL1? I can't see how this question relates to art tbh. :s-smilie: What topic is it? Is it definitely art?

dont panic haha. im certain its something to do with the external world :wink: haha for epiphany, if you have the aqa text book there is a small section on art gives us an opportunity to reflect....so im sure it has something to do with that.

does anyone know the difference between illuminate experience and truth or can thjey be used interchangebly?
Original post by the A* guy

i will be... :smile:
Reply 316
Original post by bananaterracottapie
i will be... :smile:

Given the time now, I think we should do this tomorrow morning instead of now.
Reply 317
any nutty geezas want to help me out with tolerance? oh and the religious point of view

yes me! i find tolerance a nightmare. especially if a question like 'tolerance requires us to accept lifestyles we believe to be objectionable but there are limits to what we can accept, discuss' comes up, i will have no idea what to write. any help greatly appreciated!

Just read your message above... I would be more than happy to do a Q and A on Tolerance tommorow! :biggrin: I'll be available from 9:35 until 12:20 and then free for the rest of the day after 1:10! :biggrin: Talk then! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending