The Student Room Group

Statistics S1B 17/05/2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I really suck i can get A in C1 and A in C2 but S1 i suck so badly its beyond belief time to practise some mixed ex now :frown:. Good luck people
Original post by Son234
I will upload it in 1-2 hrs but i
don't have the Mark scheme unfortunately

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Already beat you to it lol ... :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by Tha Realest
Already beat you to it lol ... :smile:

You saved me the hassle and I needed the Mark scheme!

Original post by Son234
You saved me the hassle and I needed the Mark scheme!

Haha ok cool ... That's good I provided the link in that case lol

Enjoy :cool:
Reply 44
Haha ok cool ... That's good I provided the link in that case lol

Enjoy :cool:

enjoy really? Lol

Original post by Son234
enjoy really? Lol

Everyone to their own satisfaction haha :u:
Reply 46
I have a graphics calculator too (the casio FX-9750GII) what things can it be very useful for in exams and can you show me how to do it please, thanks
Reply 47
Everyone to their own satisfaction haha :u:

Lol you using a graphical calculator or standard?

Tbh I don't think calculators make any difference

The standard ones you can calculate everything r, a, b mean etc

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Son234
Lol you using a graphical calculator or standard?

Tbh I don't think calculators make any difference

The standard ones you can calculate everything r, a, b mean etc

I am using a Casio FX-83GT Plus calculator ...

How about yourself ?
Reply 49
if you use a calculator to give the answer of the probability in a normal distributions, would just putting the answer down give you FULL MARKS? I don't think it would but just double checking
Original post by Welbeck
if you use a calculator to give the answer of the probability in a normal distributions, would just putting the answer down give you FULL MARKS? I don't think it would but just double checking

I think in most cases it is fine to just put the answer for full marks, but it has to be correct and to a sufficient amount of significant figures otherwise you'll get no marks, no matter how close you were.

I have the same calculator as you, the FX-9750GII. I use it for binomial and normal distribution, calculating the PMCC and least squares regression line, and even for simple stuff like the median and IQR. It can all be done on it relatively easily, but if you make one silly mistake you'll lose all the marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Original post by andyt8765
I think in most cases it is fine to just put the answer for full marks, but it has to be correct and to a sufficient amount of significant figures otherwise you'll get no marks, no matter how close you were.

I have the same calculator as you, the FX-9750GII. I use it for binomial and normal distribution, calculating the PMCC and least squares regression line, and even for simple stuff like the median and IQR. It can all be done on it relatively easily, but if you make one silly mistake you'll lose all the marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you know the sufficient amount of s.f.
Original post by Welbeck
How do you know the sufficient amount of s.f.

In some cases the question will state "to three significant figures" or whatever, but if it doesn't say, I'd go for around 4.

They can't penalise you for having too many, so always do at least 3 or 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone please explain to me what does " Residual for the point" mean and how to calculate it thanks
Can someone please explain to me what does " Residual for the point" mean and how to calculate it thanks

The residual for a point is how far it is from the least squares regression line (line of best fit).

To calculate it, you need to have already calculated the least squares regression line.

The formula for residuals: (actual y value) - (predicted y value).

So if you have a line of (y = 30 - 0.75x) and you're calculating the residual for (y = 20, x = 5) you'd do : (20 - ( 30 - 0.75 * 5)).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55

It is the difference from the actual value, to the value given from the line of least squares regression where both points are the same.
Original post by andyt8765
The residual for a point is how far it is from the least squares regression line (line of best fit).

To calculate it, you need to have already calculated the least squares regression line.

The formula for residuals: (actual y value) - (predicted y value).

So if you have a line of (y = 30 - 0.75x) and you're calculating the residual for (y = 20, x = 5) you'd do : (20 - ( 30 - 0.75 * 5)).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great simple explanation ~ Thanks
Original post by Welbeck
It is the difference from the actual value, to the value given from the line of least squares regression where both points are the same.

Thanks
Roger is an active retired lecturer. Each day after breakfast, he decides whether the
weather for that day is going to be fine (F), dull (D) or wet (W). He then decides on
only one of four activities for the day: cycling (C), gardening (G), shopping (S) or
relaxing (R). His decisions from day to day may be assumed to be independent.
The table shows Roger’s probabilities for each combination of weather and activity.
Weather
Fine (F) Dull (D) Wet (W)
Activity
Cycling (C) 0.30 0.10 0
Gardening (G) 0.25 0.05 0
Shopping (S) 0 0.10 0.05
Relaxing (R) 0 0.05 0.10

(iii) to go cycling, given that he had decided that it was going to be fine;
(iv) not to relax, given that he had decided that it was going to be dull;
(v) that it was going to be fine, given that he did not go cycling. (9 marks)
(b) Calculate the probability that, on a particular Saturday and Sunday, Roger decided
that it was going to be fine and decided on the same activity for both days.
(3 marks)

HELPPPPPP PLEASE
Reply 59
I have a question about quartiles of non grouped data - I know that when you're finding the median and get a whole number you take the average of the value value and the value above, but what about for quartiles? If you get something like 7.5 for Q1 do you take the 8th value or the average of the 7th and 8th values? What about 22.5 for Q3? Or Even 22.75?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending