The Student Room Group

English Lit B-17th May exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by oli1395
Anyone know the best way to structure/answer section B questions (42 marks) ??

basically my teacher told us to do like three mini essays on each of your remaining texts with a small introduction introducing them and then about a third of a page on each text and conclude it, you dont really need to compare texts or anything which is good

also they usually use the word 'significance' so make sure you really understand it in relation to the question :smile:
[QUOTE/]Medicine. I aspire to save the world by becoming an oncologist :biggrin:
You make Dentistry sound so boring!:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone doing Small Island? :frown:
Hi can anyone help me with how the story is told in The Patriot as I think its the only Browning poem that hasn't come up yet.
Reply 144
Original post by ohsnapitsjam
Also, what do you guys think will come up for the section B question? Any predictions?

I'd say symbolism or openings, but they could go for something completely random like they did with 'descriptive language' or 'narrative gaps' (I feel really sorry for the people who sat the June 11 paper)

Posted from TSR Mobile
So to recap what are we guessing the grade boundaries to be at? I am dreading this exam :-((
Original post by andrews101
So to recap what are we guessing the grade boundaries to be at? I am dreading this exam :-((

For the last two papers it was 46 for an A and I think the highest has ever been 54 (not fully certain)...so between those really :/. It depends on how hard they judge the exam to be
Original post by lisa96
Whats your technique for section Aa ?

I used unsworth's method but i tend to get a high band 4 so around 13/21 which is what most people in my class also get :/

Just state the obvious tbh, don't over-complicate things, say things how they are and always link back to why and how the writer is using it to tell the story. E.g in Victor (an Auden poem) say something like this:

"In Victor, Auden uses the a child-like, ballad structure. This guides the reader to understand that Auden is portraying the characters life as boring and mundane- it is not worthy of a serious analysis and he is pouring scorn over the restricted life that Victor lives"

Not perfect, but not doing anything there that nobody else can't do:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lisa96
I'm doing it as well but for section B

I'm struggling to think of any decent examples of symbolism, what do you think?
Reply 149
I'm resitting this exam as an A2 student on Friday - last year I didn't revise at all, didn't know the AOs etc and totally bombed it and got a C. Feeling the pressure as I need an A this time! This year I've revised completely differently and I feel a lot more confident. Last minute stuff:

Section A 1 hour: the first question is basically all AO2 so just talk about Setting, Form, Structure, Language and Narrative Voice. You don't need AO4 or AO3 at all here, and including this will just waste time (made that mistake last year!). Go through all the chapters/sections that might come up and make brief bullet points of setting, form, structure, language and narrative voice points.
The second question is on AO1, AO3 and AO4. So you need to support your argument by talking about the context of the text, and by discussing different critical views. You don't necessarily have to quote critics, but be open to different interpretations. Don't spend ages analysing language in detail, it won't get you marks.
Section B 1 hour: All the AOs! Roughly 20 mins on each text. Talk about language, structure etc (AO2) then back up all this analysis with a bit of context (always relevant, not just bolted on) and an alternative view or two. Don't forget to read the question thoroughly - 'how significant is..' is completely different to 'how does the author use..'. Top marks in all questions evaluate, so really evaluate your points and your response to the question.

Do some past papers, or if you haven't got time plan essay answers. Look at critical views. Learn the context of each text. Practice language analysis. Know your texts!
Original post by mollymasm

Section B 1 hour: All the AOs! Roughly 20 mins on each text. Talk about language, structure etc (AO2) then back up all this analysis with a bit of context (always relevant, not just bolted on) and an alternative view or two. Don't forget to read the question thoroughly - 'how significant is..' is completely different to 'how does the author use..'. Top marks in all questions evaluate, so really evaluate your points and your response to the question.

In section B you aren't marked on all the AOs, there's no need to bother with context! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by lisa96
the only thing i can think of is the bell that hortense keeps talking about at the beginning of the book and in her before section which i guess is symbolic for her expectations of britain but then it doesnt work as she thought it would.

I cant think of anything other symbolisms in small island, or any of my other texts either :frown: I dont think i'd pick this question if it came up

Yeah, it's a really difficult text for symbolism! At first I thought that the war could be symbolic of the capability for unity between races, but it was a bit of a tenuous link. I tried to write about it during a timed essay and it just sounded silly!
Hmm, it's a shame really because the poems I'm doing are great for symbolism. Let's just hope it doesn't come up though.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm doing this exam also! My texts are Gatsby, The Kite Runner, Rossetti and Keats... I have S1 on the same day though, which is taking up all my time so I'm really nervous! Really need to get a high B or A in this exam :frown:
Hey guys, not posted here yet, I'm doing The Kite Runner, The Great Gatsby, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Keats! Actually looking forward to the exam :tongue:
Reply 154
Original post by Lucy96
Hey guys, not posted here yet, I'm doing The Kite Runner, The Great Gatsby, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Keats! Actually looking forward to the exam :tongue:

i'm doing exactly the same as you but I'm studying the Browning poems instead. Do you have any specific points for Ancient Mariner because it is literally running my life! I'm hoping to do it for section A too
Reply 155
Original post by Arissa
i'm doing exactly the same as you but I'm studying the Browning poems instead. Do you have any specific points for Ancient Mariner because it is literally running my life! I'm hoping to do it for section A too

i have some points for ancient mariner if you wanted and im definatley doing it for section A, what sort of stuff did you want to know??
I really need some advice because my teachers haven't been too helpful. For section B, can I talk about just one of the poems for Keats or do I have to mention them all in some way? :tongue:
Reply 157
Original post by charrey
i have some points for ancient mariner if you wanted and im definatley doing it for section A, what sort of stuff did you want to know??

Just some key points for all the parts, so things like sctvpd (scenes and places....) I'm staying up and reading the kite runner and the rime of the ancient mariner and the annotating them all over again! Going to be a long night!
Reply 158
Original post by Lucy96
I really need some advice because my teachers haven't been too helpful. For section B, can I talk about just one of the poems for Keats or do I have to mention them all in some way? :tongue:

You have to mention all of the books you've studied except for the one you wrote about in section A :smile:
Reply 159
Original post by Arissa
Just some key points for all the parts, so things like sctvpd (scenes and places....) I'm staying up and reading the kite runner and the rime of the ancient mariner and the annotating them all over again! Going to be a long night!

Ive written essays for five of the parts but then i got bored so i can help you with structure/setting/perspective/form/language on these, i also posted some stuff on context in another thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2167542 i think its on the 23rd page of that :smile:
oh no! i still havent even read all of one of my texts yet because its soo long and im so lazy :/// so im watching the film version of Birdsong now and am definitely not using it for section A :tongue:

Quick Reply