The Student Room Group

Unofficial AQA Biology Unit 3 GCSE NEW SPEC Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quantaˌ
Thanks. I found it but was just correcting my original post. On Question 7, what did you mean by 1+3 marks? I left that as 3 marks and made the rib cage question (Q2) 4 marks. I remember it being 4 marks...

Anyway, I editing the original post. Only two questions left! I've made them bold...

Why is water taken up by osmosis in the plant and why are ions taken up by active transport (4 marks)
Answer:
Higher conc of water in soil than in root, osmosis works along a conc gradient so can be used to transport water in this case.
Higher conc of ions in roots, (therefore no diffusion as diffusion only works along conc gradient), instead active transport is needed as active transport can work against a conc gradient.
Also on question 7 there was
a) Graph question (3 marks)
ai) question on why glucose levels continued to drop: Answer used in aerobic respiration (1 mark)
b) Second graph question (3 marks)
Original post by Quantaˌ
Thanks. I found it but was just correcting my original post. On Question 7, what did you mean by 1+3 marks? I left that as 3 marks and made the rib cage question (Q2) 4 marks. I remember it being 4 marks...

Anyway, I editing the original post. Only two questions left! I've made them bold...

On the second graph there was a 1 marker- (why it was lower I think), and a 3 marker about glucagon
I thought the rib cage question was 3 marks, not sure though...
Reply 223
Original post by sammann123
Why is water taken up by osmosis in the plant and why are ions taken up by active transport (4 marks)
Answer:
Higher conc of water in soil than in root, osmosis works along a conc gradient so can be used to transport water in this case.
Higher conc of ions in roots, (therefore no diffusion as diffusion only works along conc gradient), instead active transport is needed as active transport can work against a conc gradient.

Thanks! I've edited it in. What about the one explaining the graph/equation?
Original post by ellipsis...
On the second graph there was a 1 marker- (why it was lower I think), and a 3 marker about glucagon
I thought the rib cage question was 3 marks, not sure though...

What was the maths explanation question about? I think this might of only been 1 mark?
Original post by Quantaˌ
Thanks! I've edited it in. What about the one explaining the graph/equation?

Not sure cant remember! Think it might of only been 1 mark though?
Reply 226
I'm going to going to bed soon.

Let me know if I need to edit anything. PM me if possible- I wouldn't be able to check through everything since I've got exams coming up and I'm revising for those...
Reply 227
Hi, this is keeping me awake. In my previous exams I got:

Unit 1: 92
Unit 2: 93
ISA : 36/50

I completely mind blanked during B3 and looking at the mark scheme I have got around 30/60. Was wondering what I would need to get to get an A?
We hope to get all the questions and answers finshed by the weekend. Thank You so much Quanta :smile:
Original post by Cxxkie

I completely mind blanked during B3 and looking at the mark scheme I have got around 30/60. Was wondering what I would need to get to get an A?

Considering that Your ISA UMS is 72 - Just double the mark - no one is aware of the definite mark scheme - but hopefully it is higher.

Your total at the moment is 257

You need 320 for an A

SO... 320-257 is 63

So you need 63+ for an A
Reply 230
Original post by MsFahima
We hope to get all the questions and answers finshed by the weekend. Thank You so much Quanta :smile:

No problem! I'm pretty sure we'll get it done soon. We've only got one question left if we're not missing any...
Reply 231
Considering that Your ISA UMS is 72 - Just double the mark - no one is aware of the definite mark scheme - but hopefully it is higher.

Your total at the moment is 257

You need 320 for an A

SO... 320-257 is 63

So you need 63+ for an A

I understand that, just any idea of raw mark needed for 63+?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Cxxkie
I understand that, just any idea of raw mark needed for 63+?

I think around 27-30 as 63 is a B
Btw in the mark scheme its vasoconstriction not vasocontration :smile:
There was a Q on explaining why the leaf lost mass after the stem being cut off or something like that.
I think around 27-30 as 63 is a B

63 is a low C isn't it?
Reply 237
Original post by unique_freak
im pretty sure they said blood composition

What did it actually mean by blood composition ?
Original post by Cxxkie

Bear in mind that this mark scheme doesn't include all the marking points and additional guidance that the official one will, so you probably got more than 30:smile:
Original post by PriyaPaul
What did it actually mean by blood composition ?

Whether it is oxygenated or deoxygenated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending