The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
I really hope they don't ask about positives for the tectonics 40 marker ):

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 321
I think my biggest problem with this exam is the lack of time since I'm kind of a slow writer, does anyone else get this problem aswell??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gary
I think my biggest problem with this exam is the lack of time since I'm kind of a slow writer, does anyone else get this problem aswell??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes Gary I find this as well, it is difficult. I feel as if I rush to get finished on time sometimes forgetting to put things in my answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 323
Original post by jacktomos95
My friend said it was quite hard, what did u make of it?

edit:bearing in mind the esker has a few lines in the textbook..this was something like 8 mark question

Posted from TSR Mobile

i didn't resit it! Everyone I knew who did said it was ridoculous, the wording was really weird to how it normally is and they asked for a sketch diagram of an esker which you either knew or you didnt. it sounds as though grade boundaries may possibly drop
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 324
do you guys think i should revise for all 4 topics or just concentrate on 3?
Reply 325
Original post by romahen
do you guys think i should revise for all 4 topics or just concentrate on 3?

Concentrate on 3 would be my advice.
I'm confused on the types of volcanoes - they have so many different names in different text books :frown: help?
Original post by Daniel George
I'm confused on the types of volcanoes - they have so many different names in different text books :frown: help?

look at AQA book and use them.
Original post by clareramos
look at AQA book and use them.

I have three endorsed aqa books and each is slightly different - maybe I will just stick to one :smile: thanks
I have three endorsed aqa books and each is slightly different - maybe I will just stick to one :smile: thanks

stick to the main text book that your teacher uses. That way you won't confuse the examiner.
Original post by clareramos
stick to the main text book that your teacher uses. That way you won't confuse the examiner.

are you a teacher - I have a couple of quite broad questions! with essay writing examiners say that the marks come in the evaluation and explanation rather than case study examples ( these just give evidence) does this mean i would write a line or so on each paragraph just on case studies - and the rest on analysis! Im confused on the best structure - oh, are the examiners looking for specific stuff or your own interpretation? :smile: kind regards

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry about them all they won't cover specific ones. I have learnt 4 in detail.

Fissure-constructive boundary. Eg Iceland. By nature Icelandic
Caldera-hot spots or constructive. Eg Yellowstone Wyoming USA. By nature Krakatoan.
Composite or stratovolcano-destructive or collision zone. Eg mt St. Helens by nature Vesuvian
Shield- constructive. Eg Mauna Loa Hawaii. By nature Hawaiian

Talk about their shape and nature (frequent eruption?, is it powerful?)

Also include lava types and silica content to show u have got the higher level understanding and possibly temperature of the types.

Hope this helps you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jade10128
Thanks! Very useful, I'm doing the same topics

Me too. You just saved my life.

have you got the one by redfern.? Published by phillip allan. Given he writes the geog3 paper i would go with that if you have it!
Original post by Aron17
Can I just ask why I haven't seen anyone on here say they will be using Japan as a case study for tectonics? Its the easiest case study to remember, it involved tsunamis and if any questions about preparedness for seismic events come up this would be the best case study to use.

Our teacher said its good as an example but not as a case study because not enough is known about long term effects yet aparently.
Reply 335
Original post by gracecooke55
Our teacher said its good as an example but not as a case study because not enough is known about long term effects yet aparently.

I disagree..think its a great case study! you only include case studies if they relevant anyway and its a good one for seismicity -both tsunami and earthquake and a good example of an MEDC with a high death toll even with their planning and mitigation techniques

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 336
has everyone revised their 3/4 topics for the exam?! ive only revised plate tectonics! :frown: is that really bad? do you think i should have covered all my 4 topics by now?
Original post by emah123
has everyone revised their 3/4 topics for the exam?! ive only revised plate tectonics! :frown: is that really bad? do you think i should have covered all my 4 topics by now?

I'm almost done revising my fourth which is tectonics. Left it last as I felt most comfortable with this topic. There's a lot to revise trust me and I get stressed if I leave it to late. It's the detail required for the top marks that take the time to remember. People work differently so it will be hard to tell for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm focusing on tectonics, world cities and development and globalisation- finding that tectonics is MUCH more expansive in terms of things to remember than the other two- anyone else finding this?
are you a teacher - I have a couple of quite broad questions! with essay writing examiners say that the marks come in the evaluation and explanation rather than case study examples ( these just give evidence) does this mean i would write a line or so on each paragraph just on case studies - and the rest on analysis! Im confused on the best structure - oh, are the examiners looking for specific stuff or your own interpretation? :smile: kind regards

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used to teach A Level, now lecture geography/outdoor education, but do a lot of work with students who are going to do a bachelors in Geography and give them preparation. I used to mark unit 2/unit 4A, so unit 3 isn't the best in terms of exactly what is needed.

Examiners will generally look for specific stuff if the question asks for it or your own interpretation if the question asks for it. It will be clear in the question asked. For case studies say how they back up what you're trying to say, and fit it in the explanation, rather than just saying the case study.

Quick Reply

Latest