The Student Room Group

Men have it harder then women

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by rosee92
If it wasn't we wouldn't have been given the tools to do it or the hormones that encourage the urge to have children (this is more the case in women, to do with estrogen production.

All mammals are programmed to mate because their species need to survive. If they didn't have this urge then the world would be run by frogs and birds and insects who lay eggs. Humans and all other mammals would've died out thousands of years ago because we'd have said "nah I'll just play with these rocks instead of mating."

It may also be easier to "choose" in western society, but what about women in Africa who don't have access to contraception and get forced into sex by their husbands and cannot help but have endless children, of which several will die in infancy.

I still think your overall argument is focused on a very narrow part of society, like the MIC or TOWIE set who expect guys to be like that.

Just to make a point, I am not talking about women in africa, I am referring to women in the western world who have a lot more power and influence that is now causing a role reversal between men and women.

Women in africa and oppressed countries have it harder then western women. There is no such thing as equality for them and their quality of life is ****.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by consumed by stuff
to think most of the **** you put up with all so she would have sex with you. thats like tthe only major power women have over men, withholding sex. you can only use it with certain men or they just get the **** outta there.

it was bull**** tbh.

Men have feelings too.
Until someone gets the opportunity to experience being both male and female, this is pointless anyway.

Actually, even then, it would be a pretty lousy conclusion since you couldn't base a valid argument on your experience of being one out of over 3 billion of each sex.
Original post by wildbluesun
There's stuff about being a man that sucks and stuff about being a woman that sucks. There's no real way of comparing the two, and trying to decide who has it "worse" is ridiculous. There's no objective measure of suffering. Rather than having a ridiculous, swooning argument along these lines: "but vagina people have it so awful" "no but penis people have it worse" "well vaginas have children come out of them" "well penises hurt when you punch them" "well if you weren't - " "if you didn't - " "MY SUFFERING IS MORE VALID THAN YOUR SUFFERING"...how about we say that both gender's issues are valid, worth talking about, and worth fixing?

Seriously. Silly discussion. It's like asking whether cancer patients or AIDs patients have it worse. Although hopefully none of you think being a man or a woman is as bad as either cancer or AIDs.

funny you say that, i'd rather be a man my age with aids here in the uk than be a women with no aids in some inpoverished lawless country.
Original post by fat_hobbit
To be honest, I am more concerned about my career these days, but thanks for telling me that I am desperate for a woman.

How old are you?

Career...also to impress the ladies?? Just kidding. Well that comment wasn't specifically at you although it did seem your comments were geared towards attracting women.

I'm not going to say that men have it easy; there are certain pressures but at the end of the day conformity is a choice. Your complete lack of understanding and empathy for women regarding childbirth doesn't do your argument any favours either.

Not sure what my age has to do with anything but I'm 24.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 45
Don't make me laugh.

- You are less likely to be raped
- you are less likely to suffer domestic violence
- you are more likely to get promotions because you don't get pregnant or stay home with your baby
- You don't have to face the discomforts and numerous health risks of pregnancy and childbirth
- You mentioned women can just not have a career if they're stupid. Did you stop and think about the discrimination faced by women who do want a career and aren't stupid? We are still expected by many people in society to be stay at home mothers- I don't know a single man who would give up his job and volunteer to stay home with his children
- You are judged on merit at the workplace and not on appearance
- Your reproductive rights and bodily autonomy isn't turned into a political debate.

A small note to the person who compared being kicked in the balls to childbirth. GET A LIFE. Labour is hell that lasts up to 5 days during which time women can't eat or even drink water while battling the pain. Needless to say, they don't get to sleep either. Some of them are left with lifelong complications like pelvic organ prolapse and incontinence or the inability to orgasm due to the damage done by childbirth.

Secondly, women are not given the option of a cesarean or even an epidural in most hospitals unless medically necessary. (This is partly what I meant by women's reproductive rights being curtailed). So natural childbirth is hardly self-inflicted torture. Most women don't have a choice.
Reply 46
Original post by Nomes89
Career...also to impress the ladies?? Just kidding. Well that comment wasn't specifically at you although it did seem your comments were geared towards attracting women.

I'm not going to say that men have it easy; there are certain pressures but at the end of the day conformity is a choice. Your complete lack of understanding and empathy for women regarding childbirth completely doesn't do your argument any favours either.

Not sure what my age has to do with anything but I'm 24.

TBH

I never said childbirth was not painful, but making it sound like it is some sort of naccessity, is really stupid. especially since I never mentioned childbirth originally, and for good reason.

I know I compared it to being kicked in the balls, but you guys need to develop a sense of humour - it was obviously sarcasm.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 47
We are expected:

- to be successful, independent and able to provide for a woman (if in a r.ship). Every girl I have been with, eventually expects me to pay for everything.
- With pin up boys like Ronaldo etc, the pressure on men to look good is a bigger deal now then in the past. So that they have a heads up in the dating game. A LOT of women on the other hand, can get sex much more easily then men.
- Acquire status, respect from our peers otherwise are considered weak.
- Not meant o show weakness/emotions to anyone. As a result men bottle things up more easily.

Failing any of the 3 (not so much point 2), the man is normally treated as a loser.

Do you agree that men have it harder then women?

Discuss.

- Women are expected - and want! - to be successful and independent too, you know. There's a lot of pressure for women to "have it all" - build a good career, whilst juggling a family and marriage commitments as well as looking good and staying fit.

- Men and women both face pressure in terms of appearance. In my personal opinion, girls face more pressure, from an earlier age too.

- I don't agree with the "acquire status", "never show weakness" bits of your arguments... I've got a twin brother and lots of guy mates, and this is not something I've observed / agree with at all.

I was going to mention childbirth, ex was going bang on about it.

But then I realised:

1) what its like being literally kicked in the balls, which is painful as hell. Women will never have to experience this.

and

2) Women these days can always get a cesarean or choose not to have children at all.

So the pain is self inflicted if they go the natural route.

Oh! Just saw this delightful post. And to think I was answering your question seriously, OP :rolleyes:

1) No one can ever experience both, so your argument is idiotic.
The tests they have run so far on men, simulating the pain of early labour only (i.e. the first contractions), suggest that men could not cope with the pain. Also just think about how long a kick to the nuts lasts. Then think about how long labour lasts. Not only does the woman have to carry a child inside her for 9 months, she then has to push it outside of her body in a process which can last for DAYS on end. Painful if it all goes well, but there are also lots of complications which can occur. How many men have died from a kick to the balls? And how many women have died through complications during labour? Hmmm.

2) Wow, what an idiotic thing to say! A C-Section is major, painful surgery which is not a decision women take lightly. And you can't get a C-Section just because you don't like the idea of natural labour.

TO BE HONEST - I think the answer to the debate is pretty obvious with just one word. Childbirth. :rolleyes: Any problems that men have pale into insignificance when you consider that :lol:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by rosee92
No one can ever experience both. So your argument is completely idiotic.

Having a cesarean isn't the easy option either. You have to spend 6 weeks recovering, it's a serious operation. Plus you have to recover while looking after a newborn baby.

I dare you to go up to a woman in her 30th hour of labour with serious complications like foetal distress or the danger caused by a narrow pelvis and say "well you could've had an abortion, love."

Small correction- a vaginal birth also takes 6 weeks to recover from. In fact, it can even take up to 6 months or more depending on how badly you tear. I am not saying a cesarean is easy, but it is a total myth that it always has a longer recovery.
Original post by Desperate7

Plus it's not as if it's only women that want their own children - men want children of their own too! But who has to provide one? Men can't have children, so in that respect it's not a choice. If a couple want a child, a woman's gotta brace herself for the hellish ride that is 9 months pregnancy (didn't get mentioned at all??) and childbirth.
Reply 50
Original post by Nomes89
Plus it's not as if it's only women that want their own children - men want children of their own too! But who has to provide one? Men can't have children, so in that respect it's not a choice. If a couple want a child, a woman's gotta brace herself for the hellish ride that is 9 months pregnancy (didn't get mentioned at all??) and childbirth.

Exactly.
Reply 51
Original post by emilie18
- Women are expected - and want! - to be successful and independent too, you know. There's a lot of pressure for women to "have it all" - build a good career, whilst juggling a family and marriage commitments as well as looking good and staying fit.

I wouldnt go as far to say it is expected. It is more like they want too.

There are plenty of women that are content with being a house wife and looking after their kids. Traditionally that was the role of women until recently.

Major difference.
Reply 52

There are plenty of women that are content with being a house wife and looking after their kids. Traditionally that was the role of women until recently.

Major difference.

FFS. What about women who DON'T want to be housewives or stay at home with their kids? They are still judged and are often forced culturally and financially to stay at home anyway.

If one person has to give up his/her career it will be expected of the woman, not the man.

And yes, women want to have children but so do men. But who goes through the pain and trauma of childbirth? Women. Who is likely to have to give up her job and independence to look after the children? The woman.
The men get a pretty sweet deal. Their lives barely change after having kids.
Reply 53
****s sake point spread is too high now.

CAnt bet on the heat.

I bet you're glad you didn't now lol
TBH

I never said childbirth was not painful, but making it sound like it is some sort of naccessity, is really stupid. especially since I never mentioned childbirth originally, and for good reason.

I know I compared it to being kicked in the balls, but you guys need to develop a sense of humour - it was obviously sarcasm.

Yeah because getting 'status' and looking like ronaldo is a necessity right? :rolleyes:
I already said, you are not under obligation to provide for anyone else but yourself or your child when/if you have one. You also don't have to hide your emotions at all.

That is what I mean by your argument being *******s because it applies a double standard where men's problems are 'necessity' (even though they aren't) and women's aren't (despite the fact that giving birth to another human people is far more significant than anything you mentioned).

And ah the 'sense of humour' retort. Why didn't you have a sense of humour when your ex told you to 'man up'?? Or are only men allowed to be offended and women are 'sensitive' if they stand up for themselves?
Don't make me laugh.

- You are less likely to be raped (allowed, if limited in scope to the UK)
- you are less likely to suffer domestic violence
- you are more likely to get promotions because you don't get pregnant or stay home with your baby
- You don't have to face the discomforts and numerous health risks of pregnancy and childbirth
- You mentioned women can just not have a career if they're stupid. Did you stop and think about the discrimination faced by women who do want a career and aren't stupid? We are still expected by many people in society to be stay at home mothers- I don't know a single man who would give up his job and volunteer to stay home with his children
- You are judged on merit at the workplace and not on appearance
- Your reproductive rights and bodily autonomy isn't turned into a political debate.

A small note to the person who compared being kicked in the balls to childbirth. GET A LIFE. Labour is hell that lasts up to 5 days during which time women can't eat or even drink water while battling the pain. Needless to say, they don't get to sleep either. Some of them are left with lifelong complications like pelvic organ prolapse and incontinence or the inability to orgasm due to the damage done by childbirth.

Secondly, women are not given the option of a cesarean or even an epidural in most hospitals unless medically necessary. (This is partly what I meant by women's reproductive rights being curtailed). So natural childbirth is hardly self-inflicted torture. Most women don't have a choice.

I've highlighted which points of yours should be accepted without debate. The others are debatable, but for the purpose of advancing this thread these two are undeniable and should be considered.
Reply 56
FFS. What about women who DON'T want to be housewives or stay at home with their kids? They are still judged and are often forced culturally and financially to stay at home anyway.

If one person has to give up his/her career it will be expected of the woman, not the man.

You expect me to buy this? In the western world, really?

Ever heard of stay at home dads?

And yes, women want to have children but so do men. But who goes through the pain and trauma of childbirth? Women. Who is likely to have to give up her job and independence to look after the children? The woman.
The men get a pretty sweet deal. Their lives barely change after having kids.

Again, you expect me to buy this?

I dont know about you, but if my wife wanted to adopt, and I loved her dearly I would be ok with it.

And besides, you are all focusing on the pain aspect, what about the side of it where you actually feel the child growing in you? There are beautiful aspects of the whole process too which a man will NEVER experience.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by Nomes89
Yeah because getting 'status' and looking like ronaldo is a necessity right? :rolleyes:
I already said, you are not under obligation to provide for anyone else but yourself or your child when/if you have one. You also don't have to hide your emotions at all.

That is what I mean by your argument being *******s because it applies a double standard where men's problems are 'necessity' (even though they aren't) and women's aren't (despite the fact that giving birth to another human people is far more significant than anything you mentioned).

And ah the 'sense of humour' retort. Why didn't you have a sense of humour when your ex told you to 'man up'?? Or are only men allowed to be offended and women are 'sensitive' if they stand up for themselves?

Because my ex didnt say that sarcastically , she was serious.

Your only argument against me is childbirth. Its getting boring. I have addressed your points on multiple occasions.
Reply 58

Major difference.

Of course it is!

Have you actually done any research whatsoever into this topic? I'm no expert, but even with my limited reading of the subject over years of sociology work, I can tell you there's heaps of studies which have been done which disprove what you're saying.

Girls are no longer expected to become housewives, and no longer aspire to be housewives. This change isn't THAT recent, it started a while ago. It's the reason girls are out-performing boys at [most levels of education] school and why more girls than ever are reaching management level careers.

There are SOME women (the minority) who are happy to be home-makers, BUT it's not a choice that is encouraged anymore. It's looked down upon - women now are encouraged to raise a family, but also have a job at the same time.

Each and every part of your argument is pretty much falling apart.... :lol: :erm:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by wildbluesun
There's stuff about being a man that sucks and stuff about being a woman that sucks. There's no real way of comparing the two, and trying to decide who has it "worse" is ridiculous. There's no objective measure of suffering. Rather than having a ridiculous, swooning argument along these lines: "but vagina people have it so awful" "no but penis people have it worse" "well vaginas have children come out of them" "well penises hurt when you punch them" "well if you weren't - " "if you didn't - " "MY SUFFERING IS MORE VALID THAN YOUR SUFFERING"...how about we say that both gender's issues are valid, worth talking about, and worth fixing?

Seriously. Silly discussion. It's like asking whether cancer patients or AIDs patients have it worse. Although hopefully none of you think being a man or a woman is as bad as either cancer or AIDs.

You, madam, are my hope for humanity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending