The Student Room Group

Arsey's M1 May 2013 (International) Model Answers

Scroll to see replies

Any predictions for grade boundaries?
Reply 21
Original post by Elbridge
I looked it up in the Edexcel website. The "UK" version of the paper will be done in countries from GMT +0 to GMT +6.5. The "international" version will be done in countries from GMT+6.5 to GMT+9

well that does make sense.
Reply 22
I am confused about Q3.
2gcos30 = 16.974, but you seem to have done 4gcos30 = 33.948.
By using 16.974 you get a = (1/3)g and T = (8/3)g

I did say I did them very quickly :colondollar:

no idea how I did that one, damn you calculator... I wouldn't normally even bother writing out the decimals for 30 degrees, but students find them easier to follow.
Original post by Arsey
It really will not make very much difference, but at a guess they could lower them a tiny bit. I don't know but my gut feeling is that results from international schools will be higher than UK.

Both the papers will have the same grade boundaries?

I looked it up in the Edexcel website. The "UK" version of the paper will be done in countries from GMT +0 to GMT +6.5. The "international" version will be done in countries from GMT+6.5 to GMT+9

Yes, I'm an International Student but sat the English one. Maybe because our times could be shifted (our am exams are at 13:30 and our pm exams are at 17:30). But for those who sit the Edexcel exams at a greater distance maybe it was practically impossible to sit the exams when the UK does (wont be able to sleep) so they could do in the normal times with another paper.

Original post by gdunne42
Edexcel have to separate UK from International A levels because the UK Govt has put an end to January exams and the international market for qualifications still wants/needs them.

It's a good thing to end the nonesense that students in China etc have already taken the paper before those in the UK leaving open a potential avenue for abuse in the internet age.

It's really unlikely to affect boundaries as international are a relatively small proportion of overall entries.

But this paper is not an International Advanced Level paper.
Reply 24
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE

But this paper is not an International Advanced Level paper.

No it isn't as it doesn't lead to the award of an International A level, just a regular one. I think the first 'International' A level will be awarded in Jan 2014.The poster asked for the rationale why Edexcel would introduce different exams. One is to address the issue of the same paper being used in different time zones and the potential for cheating, the other is the future need to offer 2 exam sittings to international candidates.
Reply 25
Can you pls download the s1 model answers?
Reply 26
Original post by RamRoom128
Can you pls download the s1 model answers?

Lol u wot m8
Reply 27
Original post by Vaner
Lol u wot m8

Whaaaat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Arsey, could you please upload the S1 model answer here for the international paper? would really appreciate it if you could :smile:
Reply 29
Haven't seen it yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by Arsey
Haven't seen it yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Arsey did u get my quote! this is my last question , sorry again:smile:
Reply 31
Original post by bubblegummer
Arsey, could you please upload the S1 model answer here for the international paper? would really appreciate it if you could :smile:

Hi. Graham has uploaded the question-paper to the Emporium now (so he does work weekends - everyone give him a round of applause!)

I've had a go at it. The S1R paper seems significantly harder than the S1 to me.

Here are my answers. I haven'tbeen able to check them with anyone, so there are probably some mistakes. Let me know if you find any.
Reply 32
Bit irrelevant to M1, but does anyone here do any other earlier time zone papers?
ie. Physics or biology unit1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending