The Student Room Group

Somalians in Britain...

Just general opinions

Do you feel they're too closed off from other races?

Don't except they're British?

Do you think they're slightly racist?

Seriously whatever! I'm trying to keep awake and I had noticed on TSR (I am new to it) their seems to be a negative attitude towards Somalians... Explain

And yes I'm Somalian, I swear I shall spew no hate against your opinion :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I live in an area in Birmingham that is full of Somalians (probably the most in Britain)and I've never had a problem with a single one of them. If anything, they treat me a lot better in shops than the Asian and White people do so I've got a lot of respect for those work values.

Tbh I would say that they are closed off from other races, as In they stick with eachother and I can't honestly recall seeing a Somalian person with someone from another race, as mad as that sounds.

Not too sure what the question is here.

I've never noticed any racism from any Somalians whatsoever so I guess that's a no.

Not too sure why there would be a negative attitude toward Somalian people, I've honestly never encountered any trouble with them but have done with British white, black and Asian people...
Reply 2
Wurriya. Allow making threads like this saxxib.
Reply 3
Original post by theonefrombrum
I live in an area in Birmingham that is full of Somalians (probably the most in Britain)and I've never had a problem with a single one of them. If anything, they treat me a lot better in shops than the Asian and White people do so I've got a lot of respect for those work values.

Tbh I would say that they are closed off from other races, as In they stick with eachother and I can't honestly recall seeing a Somalian person with someone from another race, as mad as that sounds.

I've never noticed any racism from any Somalians whatsoever so I guess that's a no.

Not too sure why there would be a negative attitude toward Somalian people, I've honestly never encountered any trouble with them but have done with British white, black and Asian people...

The questions basically the general attitude towards Somalians. Haven't been on TSR for long (very new) but quite a few posts I've seen aren't exactly positive about Somalians, so since I've got the time I thought I'd ask

The bit in red sounds about right though. I've NEVER understood this, most of my cousins and the somalia people I know never date or befriend anyone that's not Somali.

Have you noticed any other groups like this? I don't think I have
Reply 4
Original post by QUANTAM
Wurriya. Allow making threads like this saxxib.

Lool why? Aren't you curious ...
Reply 5
Original post by Hodan1996
Lool why? Aren't you curious ...

LOOL i'm joking, just wanted to fit in all the somalian vocab I knew. I get Laqqag.
Reply 6
Original post by QUANTAM
LOOL i'm joking, just wanted to fit in all the somalian vocab I knew. I get Laqqag.

Loool You're ahead of me by 3
Reply 7
The questions basically the general attitude towards Somalians. Haven't been on TSR for long (very new) but quite a few posts I've seen aren't exactly positive about Somalians, so since I've got the time I thought I'd ask

The bit in red sounds about right though. I've NEVER understood this, most of my cousins and the somalia people I know never date or befriend anyone that's not Somali.

Have you noticed any other groups like this? I don't think I have

There is this somali girl I know and her sister married a white guy. They even have a baby together.
Reply 8
Original post by Sammi_K?
There is this somali girl I know and her sister married a white guy. They even have a baby together.

Yeah girls are a lot more open than boys, well the people I know at least
Just general opinions

Seriously whatever! I'm trying to keep awake and I had noticed on TSR (I am new to it) their seems to be a negative attitude towards Somalians... Explain

What negativity?

P.s: I dislike it when people say "Somalian." It's "Somali." XD

Hey I'm from Boringham--I mean Birmingham too
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by PreppyNinja

P.s: I dislike it when people say "Somalian." It's "Somali." XD

Um no its not.. but ok

I'm just curious as to why we're one of, if not the only, race not to mix with other cultures more
Um no its not.. but ok

I'm just curious as to why we're one of, if not the only, race not to mix with other cultures more

Haha I swear it isn't. XD But I'll let it slide.

--

Hmm, we are a secluded race and the people I am around with (You know the old Somali women) are pretty racist towards other races.
I think it is because we feel more safe within our community.

I don't know to be honest actually. :/

I never asked.

**I think it is the generation before us though, I do mix with all cultures.
Reply 12
Hilarious bunch. One of my best friends is somalian and the guy's a legend.

In my part of the world (south east laaaanden) there's not quite enough somalians to create a closed off community so it'd be pretty lonely if they were insular like that. They're not.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Just general opinions

I can only comment on the Somalians in Cambridgeshire. Somalians don't really tend speak to non blacks. They also run around calling each other "*******" which i don't think they know the meaning of. Also they are generally in the less able classes and wear baggy clothes. They are like the blacks that you see in the American gangster movies.
I'm sure there are perfectly nice/smart Somalians but i haven't met any so far
Original post by bahjat93
I can only comment on the Somalians in Cambridgeshire. Somalians don't really tend speak to non blacks. They also run around calling each other "*******" which i don't think they know the meaning of. Also they are generally in the less able classes and wear baggy clothes. They are like the blacks that you see in the American gangster movies.

Lol really? I never knew there were Somali's like that. :O
You mean the low slung-let-me-show-the-world-what-type-of-boxers-I-am-wearing baggy jeans?
Reply 15
Original post by PreppyNinja
Lol really? I never knew there were Somali's like that. :O
You mean the low slung-let-me-show-the-world-what-type-of-boxers-I-am-wearing baggy jeans?

Those are the ones :smile:.
Interesting story, showing your boxers started in American prisons to let other inmates know that your butt hole was available for use :smile:. Here over the pond people don't know this and instead they just follow the fashion blindly :/.
Original post by bahjat93

I know two Somalians and they're quite nice people.I know one of them tends to hang around with a Pakistani girl, and of them I think he went on to another course?

These two definitely mix.

Not necessarily, as per the quote above. I've had the same feelings as you towards Somalian people tbf. I've never encountered any problems with the Somalians I know, and I have had problems with White and Pakistani people, though that may be just because a sample of two is a bit small :biggrin:
I worked with a Somalian in a charity shop once, I got her to talk about the war in the early 90s and about Black Hawks all day.

Was funny when she talked about them flying over her and she made like a really shocked face at me to show how she felt at the time :rofl:
Reply 18
Original post by de_monies
I know two Somalians and they're quite nice people.I know one of them tends to hang around with a Pakistani girl, and of them I think he went on to another course?

These two definitely mix.

You should tell that to her parents :wink:. I'm sure they'll have something to say about this :rolleyes:
Reply 19
I think a handful of foreigners from every race and country a bad name. People generalise that to everyone from that country/culture and hate on them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending