Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Computer Science Firmers 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by gowans07
Uni's do look at GCSE grades, not as much for degrees that aren't veterinary or medicine degrees, but they do take them into account when choosing candidates.

But a B in maths will be enough for Comp Sci :smile:

That's alright then :smile: Just out of interest, who's got an a-level in maths?
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by Hannah215
That's alright then :smile: Just out of interest, who's got an a-level in maths?

I don't but I assume most going into Compsci will, I think I'll look through what I've missed out on over the summer.
Reply 82
Original post by Hannah215

[QUOTE=4c:75:6b:65;42433132]I don't but I assume most going into Compsci will, I think I'll look through what I've missed out on over the summer.

Me neither and think I recall Gowan saying he hasn't either so youre far from alone!
Reply 83
C at AS level :/
Reply 84
I did do AS maths but got a pretty rubbish grade so that's fine then :smile:
Reply 85
Relatively new to this site but looks really useful haha. I've an unconditional offer for a computer science masters at Newcastle and am really tempted to accept. I also have offers from Birmingham and Kent. My first choice is Bristol who I'm still waiting on. Other uni's I'm waiting on are Glasgow and Sussex.

If I get an offer from Bristol, I'll likely go there but at the moment it's between Newcastle and Birmingham with the former edging it. Though it's really choice as both are great. Birmingham seems slightly more prestigious but Newcastle seems to me a better City and I think I would enjoy life more there. Any advice lol?

My order of preference at the moment is probably Bristol, Newcastle, Birmingham/Glasgow, Sussex and then Kent
Reply 86
Original post by Sandman62
Relatively new to this site but looks really useful haha. I've an unconditional offer for a computer science masters at Newcastle and am really tempted to accept. I also have offers from Birmingham and Kent. My first choice is Bristol who I'm still waiting on. Other uni's I'm waiting on are Glasgow and Sussex.

If I get an offer from Bristol, I'll likely go there but at the moment it's between Newcastle and Birmingham with the former edging it. Though it's really choice as both are great. Birmingham seems slightly more prestigious but Newcastle seems to me a better City and I think I would enjoy life more there. Any advice lol?

My order of preference at the moment is probably Bristol, Newcastle, Birmingham/Glasgow, Sussex and then Kent

Welcome to TSR then, congrats on offer too.

Well it depends what sort of advice, I've given a brief accommodation overview a few posts before, with regards to the course it's more of a personal choice (have you looked through the course, seen the differences between Bristol and newcastle? )

The other aspect is location, how far it is to travel home, type of campus (don't know if Bristol is city rather than campus). Obviously Newcastle has a great social buzz about it.

Also take a look at the societies and clubs that are on offer at both Uni's.

That's me out of ideas for now, hope it helps.
TG
Reply 87
Original post by Sandman62

Out of interest, what grades did you get? Did you do A levels?
Reply 88
Thanks! I currently live in London so Newcastle is further away but that's not too much of an issue for me; though I plan on going there soon to check the uni out. It's true what you said about Bristol being a city rather than a campus, so I'll have to decide what a prefer. Good idea about the societies and clubs, I'll have to check them out.
Reply 89
Original post by EagleWing
Out of interest, what grades did you get? Did you do A levels?

Yh got a BCC in 2009 for A levels. However because this is a postgrad course, none of the unis that I applied to asked for my A level results. All they asked for is a minimum 2:1 for my undergrad, 2 academic references and a good personal statement.
Reply 90
For any current A2 Computing students on the AQA course, heres a link to some useful revision notes. I found that the AQA textbook is very useful, plus if you can get your hands on a copy of the revision notes this company produces http://www.zigzageducation.co.uk/ it is really handy (I do have a copy and will try to upload if needed).
I've firmed for computer science(game engineering) I can't wait, I'm a local student but I aim to move out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Original post by TheGreenwood
I've firmed for computer science(game engineering) I can't wait, I'm a local student but I aim to move out

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome, same as me then! I assume you've opted for a placement year as well?
I have :smile: I can't wait, who's planning on moving into accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
Original post by TheGreenwood
I have :smile: I can't wait, who's planning on moving into accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations on your offer! My first choice is Windsor Terrace. I've got an unconditional offer so hopefully I have a good chance of getting my first choice..

Which accommodation did you decide on? What are the grades in your offer?
Reply 95
Congratulations on your offer! My first choice is Windsor Terrace. I've got an unconditional offer so hopefully I have a good chance of getting my first choice..

Which accommodation did you decide on? What are the grades in your offer?

Your first choice accomm is pretty much guaranteed surely?
Reply 96
Original post by Kalisnoir
Awesome, same as me then! I assume you've opted for a placement year as well?

Hey Kalisnoir, how is it going with the Android SDK? I downloaded Eclipse last weekend and got to work with some of the built-in functions (like dialogs, alerts, buttons etc.) How is the game going? What game engine are you using if any?

I started looking into something called LibGDX (a decent game engine) and it looks really fun to use so I'll start getting into that once I'm better with Java/Android in general.
Reply 97
Original post by gowans07
Your first choice accomm is pretty much guaranteed surely?

Not sure. One would hope so... lol
Reply 98

Hey Kalisnoir, how is it going with the Android SDK? I downloaded Eclipse last weekend and got to work with some of the built-in functions (like dialogs, alerts, buttons etc.) How is the game going? What game engine are you using if any?

I started looking into something called LibGDX (a decent game engine) and it looks really fun to use so I'll start getting into that once I'm better with Java/Android in general.

Made a couple apps but nothing release worthy...

http://ryansandsportfolio.wordpress.com/

If you goto the Project Page you will find them on there; it's just a site I did as a portfolio for a college module.

Android released Android Studio today (or yesterday maybe) which is their new IDE for Android instead of using Eclipse with the SDK plugins although I haven't tried it yet.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/studio.html

Have you got Skype? I'm currently working on a BTEC Grade Calculator; although I won't need it anymore I figure it'l be useful for others if I can rustle up a spare £30 for a license and put it on the market!
Reply 99
Original post by Kalisnoir
Made a couple apps but nothing release worthy...

http://ryansandsportfolio.wordpress.com/

If you goto the Project Page you will find them on there; it's just a site I did as a portfolio for a college module.

Android released Android Studio today (or yesterday maybe) which is their new IDE for Android instead of using Eclipse with the SDK plugins although I haven't tried it yet.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/studio.html

Have you got Skype? I'm currently working on a BTEC Grade Calculator; although I won't need it anymore I figure it'l be useful for others if I can rustle up a spare £30 for a license and put it on the market!

Wow thanks for sharing this! Will look at it from time to time. Definitely put it in the store once you're done. I just registered as an Android developer - it's a one-off payment anyway.

Your projects are looking great :smile:

PM'ing Skype.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending