The Student Room Group

Primary Education Timetable 2013?? Anyone currently studying primary ed?

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help please? I have just accepted a place to study Primary Ed (early years) at Roehampton uni starting in September. I am currently a part-time nanny and I want to know whether the first year timetable will allow me to keep my job (I really don't want to leave it) or whether I will have to hand in my notice in august.

I have already tried contacting a few people including the uni to find out what this years timetable is but nobody seems to be able to help me. Can anyone help please? I need to know:

1) The current timetable?
2) How many hours are you required to attend a week of lectures/study?
3) Do you get half terms?
4) Do you think the course will allow me to do a part-time job during the week mon-fri? or is it too demanding?

Sorry to bombard you with all these questions, I would really appreciate your help!!

Thanks a million in advance...

Kaneisha x
its usually around 9 hours a week but it really dpends on the uni ect. you get half terms - the holidays are quite generous! you maight have to do job share if that is a possibility because the course means hours in classes but also doing essays and other coursework. i am not sure what your timetale will consist of sorry!

i hope this helps any qusetions on what i have said i will be happy to answer for you!

stephanie xo
1) not sure on that one sorry!
2)usually 9 but depends on the uni
3)yes you do - they are quite generous with hoidays on this course!
4)you could maybe go job share if that is a possibility for you because there is alot of coursework e.g essay writting that needs to be done at a good standard so i reccomend that as an idea and that way you can still do the job just not as many hours as you are. this means you will have a busy lifestyle though so wont have a lot of freetime which can be hard when you are on a course and just wanting a break form it all !

really hope this helps, any more questions i will be happy to advise you and good luck!

Stephanie xo
Reply 3
Original post by keeks92
Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help please? I have just accepted a place to study Primary Ed (early years) at Roehampton uni starting in September. I am currently a part-time nanny and I want to know whether the first year timetable will allow me to keep my job (I really don't want to leave it) or whether I will have to hand in my notice in august.

I have already tried contacting a few people including the uni to find out what this years timetable is but nobody seems to be able to help me. Can anyone help please? I need to know:

1) The current timetable?
2) How many hours are you required to attend a week of lectures/study?
3) Do you get half terms?
4) Do you think the course will allow me to do a part-time job during the week mon-fri? or is it too demanding?

Sorry to bombard you with all these questions, I would really appreciate your help!!

Thanks a million in advance...

Kaneisha x

Remember that when you do placements, it'll be all day 5 days-a-week eventually.
Reply 4
Thanks guys, that's really useful! It's so annoying that we have to wait right up until September to find out. I guess im going to have to quit! :frown:

Sorry not to reply directly to each individual post, I haven't quite figured out how to use TSR yet.

Are you both currently studying Primary ed? And at what uni?

K x
Reply 5
I'm starting in September at Chichester. On the admissions portal, it has this years 1st year timetable, I guess to give us an idea of what it'll be like. If I get on my computer later, I'll try and post it on here to show you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Thank you that would be very helpful! Your amazing! :smile:
Reply 7
I'm a little late to this topic and I just thought I'd add to the point about the part-time job!

I've just finished my 2nd year of Primary Ed and I've kept a job (2 nights a week and Sundays) going which actually did surprise me!
I did 5 weeks placement before Easter and things got tough (all the planning and work out of school I had to do), I didn't quit my job; I was lucky enough to find cover for a few nights!!
When I'm not on placement I find no problems with having a job!

Good luck!
Reply 8
I work as a tutor at a tutor center and am fortunately transferring to a local center near Roehampton in September. However, next week they want to discuss working hours, i don't know my timetable(Primary Ed) yet but was wondering whether there are any trends in the timetables - i've heard wednesday afternoons are free. Are there any other hour adjustments during the week? And are lectures actually run at 5 o'clock?

I really want to keep weekends free to travel home or to visit my boyfriend at hull if i want to.

Thanks!
Reply 9
Original post by nataliexo
I'm a little late to this topic and I just thought I'd add to the point about the part-time job!

I've just finished my 2nd year of Primary Ed and I've kept a job (2 nights a week and Sundays) going which actually did surprise me!
I did 5 weeks placement before Easter and things got tough (all the planning and work out of school I had to do), I didn't quit my job; I was lucky enough to find cover for a few nights!!
When I'm not on placement I find no problems with having a job!

Good luck!

What hours were you working in the evenings?

Quick Reply

Latest