The Student Room Group

English Lit B-17th May exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KayeH
I have a feeling it might have been chapter 9, but I'm really not sure!! I am praying for chapter 6 and then a debate question on women or something !

do you have any idea how to integrate form into your answers, because I have got good marks in the practice essays but never directly mentioned form!

I'm hoping either chapters 1,2,3,4,5,or 6 come up.
form is just like comedy or tradgsy or mentioning it is a novel apparently!¬
Reply 181
Thank you!! I looked at the raw mark grade boundaries on the aqa website and in June 11 all you needed was 50 / 84 for an A... So does that mean they mark it crazily harshly ??!
Does anyone know which Browning poem came up in Jan 2013?
And if anyone has any ideas on context points for Browning's poetry, I would appreciate your help greatly.
Reply 183
Original post by Fishstickers
Does anyone know which Browning poem came up in Jan 2013?
And if anyone has any ideas on context points for Browning's poetry, I would appreciate your help greatly.

Original post by Hannahmay01
hi is anyone doing AS aqa english lit b tomorrow and doing the great gatsby in section a ? does anyone know what chapter came up on the January 2013 paper on Gatsby? thanks x so worried about the exam tomorrow I've revised lots but I'm still so nervous!

Should provide some clarity, for those wondering what came up this January.
Reply 184
Does anyone know what poem for Keats came up in January?xx
Reply 185
Just saw the document above.. Ignore that!!
Original post by KayeH
Thank you!! I looked at the raw mark grade boundaries on the aqa website and in June 11 all you needed was 50 / 84 for an A... So does that mean they mark it crazily harshly ??!

Well yeah, I think they are pretty harsh, but it's more that two hours isn't really enough time to come even close to full marks unless you write very quickly. I guess having more potential marks available gives people more freedom in their answers without missing out on top marks (in theory).
hey guuuys i'm doing this exam tomorrow and i am way too nervous about the section B question :-( i'm really struggling to get to grips with how form structure and language link in to something such as speech, repetition or symbolism.. i know how to write the essay but i'm struggling of how to link all these ao2 points with what the question will ask :-( please help me :confused:
the texts i will be doing for section b are the kite runner, tennyson and rossetti and my section a is gatsby :-)
Original post by leanne1996
hey guuuys i'm doing this exam tomorrow and i am way too nervous about the section B question :-( i'm really struggling to get to grips with how form structure and language link in to something such as speech, repetition or symbolism.. i know how to write the essay but i'm struggling of how to link all these ao2 points with what the question will ask :-( please help me :confused:
the texts i will be doing for section b are the kite runner, tennyson and rossetti and my section a is gatsby :-)

For section A, its all AO2 language, form & structure: For gatsby there is TONS of symbolism! The green light is the biggest one and how it represents the postiveness and belief that everything will go right for Gatsby but how he never achieves this, also reflects the failure of American dream.
Also, where Myrtle gets killed she runs towards the yellow car- it represents hope and light she thinks Tom is driving it and he will provide this hope for her, but it doesn't and she dies because she cheats her way through life. Same with Gatsby. Reason why Tom & Daisy don't die is because Tom has power.
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by SharminaSyeda
For section A, its all AO2 language, form & structure: For gatsby there is TONS of symbolism! The green light is the biggest one and how it represents the postiveness and belief that everything will go right for Gatsby but how he never achieves this, also reflects the failure of American dream.
Also, where Myrtle gets killed she runs towards the yellow car- it represents hope and light she thinks Tom is driving it and he will provide this hope for her, but it doesn't and she dies because she cheats her way through life. Same with Gatsby. Reason why Tom & Daisy don't die is because Tom has power.
Hope this helps :smile:

thank you so so much! i know how to write about the chapter question and the Ab question, it's just section b where we have to write about three texts i'm struggling on, could you give any advice/examples for that? so for example describe the significance of symbolism within the three texts you have studied.. how would i go about answering that with form structure and launguage points D: ?
Good luck guys!:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cheetahs56
Good luck guys!:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You too!

Best of luck all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 192

Section B is AO1-2-3
So firstly they are not asking you to compare the texts (just in case anyone was wondering, common mistake) - in relation to symbolism and how you would link FORM LANGUAGE & STRUCTURE to whatever the 'thing' may be, what you have to do is say why the writer employs specific language/structure to create the significance of 'symbolism' for example. As the question is usually along the lines of 'write about the significance of _____ in the work of 3 writers you have studied' Why is symbolism relative? How does the writer employ it, and how can it be seen alternatively in other reader's eyes. I hope it helps! Good luck!
Original post by shauna123
Section B is AO1-2-3
So firstly they are not asking you to compare the texts (just in case anyone was wondering, common mistake) - in relation to symbolism and how you would link FORM LANGUAGE & STRUCTURE to whatever the 'thing' may be, what you have to do is say why the writer employs specific language/structure to create the significance of 'symbolism' for example. As the question is usually along the lines of 'write about the significance of _____ in the work of 3 writers you have studied' Why is symbolism relative? How does the writer employ it, and how can it be seen alternatively in other reader's eyes. I hope it helps! Good luck!

oh my god trsdjsnjkdfx thank you sosososo much you don't even understand! :-)
so language i would write about how the symbols are described and why they are significant?
form how the symbols help to emphasise the genre of the novel
when these symbols are placed in to the text and the significance of it?

IF THIS IS RIGHT I THINK IT'S FINALLY CLICKED, THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH SHAUNA! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: x
Reply 194
oh my god trsdjsnjkdfx thank you sosososo much you don't even understand! :-)
so language i would write about how the symbols are described and why they are significant?
form how the symbols help to emphasise the genre of the novel
when these symbols are placed in to the text and the significance of it?

IF THIS IS RIGHT I THINK IT'S FINALLY CLICKED, THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH SHAUNA! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: x

Yes, SIGNIFICANCE should be your key cue here, don't be thrown off if the wording of the question is different tomorrow, as the mark scheme hasn't changed. Another tip is that as long as you are continually referring to the READER, WRITER + LANGUAGE/narrative techniques all in relation to the question whether it be symbolism or repetition you should be alright. Constantly be asking yourself - why does the writer employ this language in reference to symbolism? what effect does it have on the reader, etc. I'm glad I could help :smile: Good luck!
What is A03 and how can I incorporate it into my section B answer? and what would you talk about for juxtaposition/symbols in the Great Gatsby?
thankyou so much guys!
Original post by shauna123
Section B is AO1-2-3

so we are not supposed to compare the texts? my whole life has been a lie :frown: seriously thankyou so much for pointing that out!
Original post by XxMizzChocolatexX
What is A03 and how can I incorporate it into my section B answer? and what would you talk about for juxtaposition/symbols in the Great Gatsby?
thankyou so much guys!

AO3 is basically different interpretations which could be interpretations of quotes, meanings etc, i'm not doing gatsby for my section b so i can't be much help with that but
symbols in the great gatsby is that of the green light as that is symbolic of daisy and gatsbys love for her however it is symbolic as it is out of his reach and then i don't really know for juxtaposition but just look for contrasts within the book for example a good event followed by a bad event and they are juxtaposed to show a large contrast or something, i'm doing gatsby for section a so i can't be of much help but i'm sure you'll do great! good luck! :smile: x
Reply 198
Original post by XxMizzChocolatexX
so we are not supposed to compare the texts? my whole life has been a lie :frown: seriously thankyou so much for pointing that out!

You're meant to link them, for example, Writer A structures ____ to further emphasise the CRISIS (for e.g) ahead. Writer B similarly structures bla bla - But you are not to explicitly compare the three in paragraphs of comparisons, Linking is ok. But don't get carried away, Its all about the Writer and the Reader and the fundamental aspects of narratology used in order to elicit responses from the reader and how the writer does this etc.

In relation to what A03 is - it is alternative interpretations so you insert a quote from whatever text you have studied and explore it in terms of what other readers might view it as, and what effect it would have.
Reply 199
I was told to not compare but refer to the other texts if it is a good point to get into the top bands with critical understanding and viewpoint

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending