The Student Room Group

POST-MORTEM: AQA Additional Science Biology B2 (May 2013)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by 08spencerk
No, mesophyl is where photosynthesis takes place. Xylem transports water around the plant and phloem transports sugars.
i got 8 for the squares
and 8d is 12 because gametes have half the number of chromosomes to normal cells

I've been having a massive debate with everyone including my teachers because the revision guide I've got doesn't label them as xylem and phloem
hopefully the grade boundaries will be relatively low
how did u find it anyway??
Reply 221
So is everyone thinking around 40 for an A* or is that too low??
it was 48 January this year and 42 June 2012, but this paper wasn't similar to any past paper- except for some questions
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 08spencerk
That should be fine you could have had oxygen, carbon dioxide or water vapour :smile:

Its not carbon dioxide, its either Water vapor or Oxygen as it said from B to A (which means what diffused out of the plant cell not into the plant cell, which carbon dioxide does)
and Water vapor diffuses out the plant cell through transpiration and Oxygen through photosynthesis..:smile:
It seems like you are talking about the latest B-2 Exam Paper which was done on Tuesday. After the exam i read through the paper to be honest it was fairly easy my students said it was easy; but lets hope what they said is true and that was from a Triple Science class Year 10, and "RAWAN" The first question was Xylem and Phloem so you are correct.

-TheScienceGuy
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 224
what was the question for 1c?
Original post by SuccessAYB
Its not carbon dioxide, its either Water vapor or Oxygen as it said from B to A (which means what diffused out of the plant cell not into the plant cell, which carbon dioxide does)
and Water vapor diffuses out the plant cell through transpiration and Oxygen through photosynthesis..:smile:

...It could have been carbon dioxide, in Respiration, the opposite happens and although it insinuated that it wanted you to write with regard to photosynthesis many will have written carbon dioxide and thus they will not be able to deny that on a hot day..or even on any day, respiration also occurs and thus carbon dioxide is given off as a waste product. - CO2 will diffuse out of the plant.
Original post by Robocop656
...It could have been carbon dioxide, in Respiration, the opposite happens and although it insinuated that it wanted you to write with regard to photosynthesis many will have written carbon dioxide and thus they will not be able to deny that on a hot day..or even on any day, respiration also occurs and thus carbon dioxide is given off as a waste product. - CO2 will diffuse out of the plant.

I wrote of Carbon dioxide too, even though my teacher it was wrong. Lets hope the examiner is feeling extra nice when they are marking xD
Reply 227
Original post by Applequestria

a) The chromosomes duplicate the genetic material to create two identical sister chromatids. (1 mark)
b) Gametes have half the number of chromosomes as a normal body cell. As meiosis consists of two divisions, this means that they need to duplicate the DNA so that the gametes formed will have half the number of chromosomes. (2 marks)
c) Four chromosomes in species A, eight chromosomes in species B (1 mark)
d) The offspring will have 12 chromosomes. (1 mark)

For b) would it be okay to talk about mitosis? Because the question simply says about cell division and doesn't specify which one.
and
for c) I know I'm wrong but don't know why. I got 2, 4 because I thought the chromosomes in the diagram had been replicated so there would be a double division for meiosis so I halved the numbers twice.
Reply 228
For the quadrants question I did.. 50x50=2500 (for the area of the feild), then 7x2500 and got 17500, will i get any marks for this or was i just plain stupid?
Reply 229
For the quadrants question i did 50x50=2500(for the area of the feils) then did 7x2500=17500. Will i get any marks for this or was i just plain stupid?
Original post by AparnaX
For b) would it be okay to talk about mitosis? Because the question simply says about cell division and doesn't specify which one.
and
for c) I know I'm wrong but don't know why. I got 2, 4 because I thought the chromosomes in the diagram had been replicated so there would be a double division for meiosis so I halved the numbers twice.

The chromosomes in the diagram had doubled, however each X represented four different chromosomes, each little arm being one chromosome, if you look on google images you can see that chromosomes in the process of 'doubling' look like a cross before they split.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BB554
For the quadrants question i did 50x50=2500(for the area of the feils) then did 7x2500=17500. Will i get any marks for this or was i just plain stupid?

Just plain stupid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sammann123
The chromosomes in the diagram had doubled, however each X represented four different chromosomes, each little arm being one chromosome, if you look on google images you can see that chromosomes in the process of 'doubling' look like a cross before they split.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's right. Each chromosome in the picture had a duplicated sister chromatid (but it's still stuck on to the original), so on the first divison, the number of chromosomes stay the same. It's the second division that really divides the chromosomes.
Reply 233

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh I get it now, thanks :smile: I think I got confused because in the diagram it pointed to one cross like shape and said that was one chromosome. At least it was only 2 marks. Do you think I'll get a mark for the offspring one due to error carried forward? I added the gametes of species A and B but since my answer was wrong I got 6, which is also wrong.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 234
Thought so! I thought putting 7 was just too simple
Reply 235
Did anybody do the foundation paper and understand the question about the worm experiment?
Reply 236
Grade boundaries??
Original post by AparnaX
Ohh I get it now, thanks :smile: I think I got confused because in the diagram it pointed to one cross like shape and said that was one chromosome. At least it was only 2 marks. Do you think I'll get a mark for the offspring one due to error carried forward? I added the gametes of species A and B but since my answer was wrong I got 6, which is also wrong.

Yeah it was very ambiguous! however i think that it was simply referring to the bottom left section of the cross, rather than the whole left hand side. Yeah you almost certainly will, so only one marked lost :smile:
Original post by Applequestria
That's right. Each chromosome in the picture had a duplicated sister chromatid (but it's still stuck on to the original), so on the first divison, the number of chromosomes stay the same. It's the second division that really divides the chromosomes.

I have to admit I've never heard of sister chromatids! I just took an educated guess, due to teachings on meiosis etc.
Reply 239
Yeah it was very ambiguous! however i think that it was simply referring to the bottom left section of the cross, rather than the whole left hand side. Yeah you almost certainly will, so only one marked lost :smile:

Ohh! haha I spent ages looking at that diagram :P that's good :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending