The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 1 May 14th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tabby.1.2
can anyone who did deserts help ?
on the 15 marker where you had to explain two causes of aridity, i wrote about hadley cells, then the rain shadow effect. thing is, the basic principles of them are kind of the same (air rises, condenses, dry air descends etc) and i only realised afterwards ! will they penalise me for this ?! :frown:

I wrote about all, it said 2 or more
Has anyone got the paper? I really want to see where i lost marks! Thank youuuu
What were you meant to write for the description of the Dam? I firstly mentioned it was a Dam, talked about it regulating water flow, sluice gates releasing water during times of low discharge and drought, HEP, it takes up alot of space therefore people have to resettle therefore not many houses/buildings surrounding the Dam, reservoir hold the water and can be used for recreation. I dont know how many marks out of 4 that would be!
Original post by MobQ
Yeah it was 5 marks, guess if you talked about 3 it should hopefully be enough to get the 5 marks :smile:. What issues did you talk about in the 15 marker if you can remember? It talked about demand for seasonal produce and high demand for from rich countries from poorer countries.

Food from poor countries I said the usual cash crops leading to ghost acres, cash crops, less local food supply. And then I realised halfway through you should have some positives in there as well. So I think I said something briefly about improving their economies.
For out of season food I threw up a bit of food miles and damage to the environment. I also said about local farmers being out competed by countries like Kenya, which could lead to urban migration. Positive I said it gave consumer more choice.
I did a brief conclusion just to say it wasn't sustainable but was unlikely to change anytime soon due to the demand. Although not sure how good/relevant it was.
Overall, I think it went well enough to get at least 12, but who knows?
Original post by bumbakrak
What were you meant to write for the description of the Dam? I firstly mentioned it was a Dam, talked about it regulating water flow, sluice gates releasing water during times of low discharge and drought, HEP, it takes up alot of space therefore people have to resettle therefore not many houses/buildings surrounding the Dam, reservoir hold the water and can be used for recreation. I dont know how many marks out of 4 that would be!

I think you may have been dragged into explanation a bit too much. For description questions you are literally meant to say what you see. Probably why there was a 6 marker on dams as the next question.

won't be available to students until it is on the aqa website. Teachers have already seen it, and it will be available for them on aqa site soon. It is also illegal (under copyright law) to put up a copy of the past paper before it is in the public domain ... which is on the aqa website in the non-secure part of the site.

Mate do not worry about it now. It will not make any changes on what your grade will be. Just hope for the best and focus on what u got left. I also did terribly on that paper. If I worry about that exam now I loose confidence in my other exams still to come cuz I can't focus if I am worrying. You can only make it right before you sat the exam :frown:. I hope the grade boundaries are lower and hopefully the teachers/examiners who mark our work are not harsh markers. :smile:.

Original post by Mr Potato
I think you may have been dragged into explanation a bit too much. For description questions you are literally meant to say what you see. Probably why there was a 6 marker on dams as the next question.

So what were you meant to say for the Dam question?
So what were you meant to say for the Dam question?

You had to describe it. Eg upstream it had got wide section allows to trap water
Downstream it has got narrower, less water goes down. Acts as a resit our as it has got a storage. It is structured between the valleys.

Original post by fil.sissay
You had to describe it. Eg upstream it had got wide section allows to trap water
Downstream it has got narrower, less water goes down. Acts as a resit our as it has got a storage. It is structured between the valleys.

Acts as a Reservoir *

What about the second question on rivers, about if the graph is useful?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What about the second question on rivers, about if the graph is useful?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never saw a graph like that one so I just guessed the answer. I said its good for predicting the magnitude of the flood.

Original post by lucasluke
I wrote about all, it said 2 or more

ohh might have missed the 'or more' part :')
the 15 markers were excellent!!!!! I talked about EVERY factor that changes discharge but i didn't write anything about a case study!
the 15 markers were excellent!!!!! I talked about EVERY factor that changes discharge but i didn't write anything about a case study!

You didn't have too. There is no specific case study. The factors apply generally to all drainage basins. :smile:.

Just thought I'd say, that isn't describing what you see, that's explaining :s-smilie: All of that would have been good for the 6 marker. For describing I think it was stuff like, large reservoir, steep valley, massive drop in water level before and behind the gates etc.
All of you come over to the Unit 2 paper discussion :biggrin:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2351107&page=2&page=2
What were you meant to write about on the SocioEconomic and Social Welfare questions?
And what about describing the changes to the glacier on the diagram? Thanks

Quick Reply