The Student Room Group

help! falsification of data in dissertation

I planned to do my dissertation in 2 schools, comparing childrens opinions as I thought I wanted to be a teacher. However, after doing some voluntary work in said schools I really hated it and totally put me off. This led me to go totally of doing my dissertation and it didnt help that my parents got divorced and there was alcohol abuse at home and had to go home to look after a parent, but travel into uni 3 hours for my lectures so my dissertation kept being put off.

This left me with hardly any time (2 weeks before deadline!) and a tutor that I was pretty scared of. The only option I saw was to make up some of the research. I feel soooo bad about it and now my tutor is asking for the schools I went to and she will probably ring them and ask about me.

I'm panicking now on what to do, should I come clean? What will happen, will I get kicked out, meaning the last 3 years of really good grades and hard work a waste?
Try going to a third person staff member. Someone not connected to your supervisor. Explain what happened. Either way you'll probably told to come clean but depending on how you do it you can minimise any damage to your mark/enrolment status.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
The only members of staff I know are the ones on my course and i really get on with my course director but obviously she is connected to my supervisor. Do you think if I come clean before they make an more investigations that this will help? What is the best way to do this? thank you so much for your help!
Original post by lpb19
The only members of staff I know are the ones on my course and i really get on with my course director but obviously she is connected to my supervisor. Do you think if I come clean before they make an more investigations that this will help? What is the best way to do this? thank you so much for your help!

Do you not have a rights and advice centre? Some kind of advice email?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Yes i've just remembered that there are staff at my student union that can help with these kinds of things. In my panic I didn't remember about it. Thanks you've really helped. I would be interested in hearing from others that have experience of similar situations if there's anyone out there reading this??
Original post by lpb19
Yes i've just remembered that there are staff at my student union that can help with these kinds of things. In my panic I didn't remember about it. Thanks you've really helped. I would be interested in hearing from others that have experience of similar situations if there's anyone out there reading this??

Not done anything similar but the student union advice can be brilliant (I had a housing issue).

I personally recommend coming clean to your department head and seeing if redoing the dissertation is an option. You should be able to do a uncapped retake due to the extenuating circumstances (hopefully).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending