The Student Room Group

Wjec exam-17th may 2013, poem structure

hi,
im studying Carol Ann Duffy and Sheenagh Pugh (AS Level) and was wondering if anyone knew how to structure the 50 mark essay? my exam is tomorrow!

for example if the question was on power, would i make a point for each paragraph and then use several poems to back up this point?

Paragraph one-; Point- physical power. Talk about all the poems that relate to this such as Shooting stars, Lizzie, Six, Education for Leisure (make short analysis of Sheenagh Pugh poem ie She was nineteen and she was bored)

Paragraph two- Point-power of imagination, dear norman, in your mind (short anaylsis of Pugh poem, ie eva and the roofers)

and so on

OR

do i structure it one poem at a time? Ie

Paragraph one-physical power, talk about Shooting Stars in depth
Paragraph Two-power of imagination talk about dear norman in depth (in some way linking to para one)
Paragraph three- pugh poem link to previous paragraphs?

Im confused as to how to do it? thank you
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
At my college we were taught to do all of the analysis on poem one first. Then follow this and repeat all of the analysis with poem two, but linking it back to poem one, your main argument and of course comparisons and differences. Then poem three with the same, linking it back to both. Finally your conclusion before you celebrate the end of the essay!

I'm taking the WJEC exam tomorrow too, albeit with different poets. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Pembleton
At my college we were taught to do all of the analysis on poem one first. Then follow this and repeat all of the analysis with poem two, but linking it back to poem one, your main argument and of course comparisons and differences. Then poem three with the same, linking it back to both. Finally your conclusion before you celebrate the end of the essay!

I'm taking the WJEC exam tomorrow too, albeit with different poets. Good luck!

thanks for your response! yeah, i figured it'd be that way, it just seems a lot simpler to do it the other way imo7
good luck to you too!!!!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by aliyah08
thanks for your response! yeah, i figured it'd be that way, it just seems a lot simpler to do it the other way imo7
good luck to you too!!!!!

I guess the exam board just like making things harder. Oh and I just found this on the WJEC examiner's report from Jan this year:

'In section A, (poetry), as previously noted, the strongest responses were those where candidates:

discussed the core poems separately rather than moving between them,'

Thanks for the good luck. :smile:
Reply 4
I guess the exam board just like making things harder. Oh and I just found this on the WJEC examiner's report from Jan this year:

'In section A, (poetry), as previously noted, the strongest responses were those where candidates:

discussed the core poems separately rather than moving between them,'

Thanks for the good luck. :smile:

ahhh thank you sooo much! exactly what i was looking for!!!!!!
Reply 5
ahhh thank you sooo much! exactly what i was looking for!!!!!!

No problem, happy to be a help. Good luck again! :biggrin:
Reply 6
No problem, happy to be a help. Good luck again! :biggrin:

how do you think it went?
Reply 7
how do you think it went?

I think it went well. One of the questions I chose was a bit nasty I think I managed it.

What about you?:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest