The Student Room Group

D1 (Decision 1) 17 May 2013 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by P!=NP
How many past papers has everyone done and how many more do they plan to do? Anybody done every paper after 2009? If so, which one was the hardest?

I've only done 4 :redface: 2 which are later than 2009.... but I couldn't possibly say which one's the hardest :redface: They're all pretty much the same in terms of difficulty, it's more about making sure you don't make silly mistakes
Reply 661
Original post by Westeros
Will you be posting answers for the D1 paper?
Also a quick question :colondollar:
Can you explain regarding linear programming - when it asks to find the optimal solution/amount, how do I know to use integer values? For example, in one question I used point testing and found (11.2,6) to be the optimal solution, but the mark scheme used (11,7), and my graph was definitely correct? :biggrin:

What were the variables representing? Normally it will be whole items like cars or buses so you have to use integers... but of course if it is litres of water or something, then decimals and fractions will work :smile:
Reply 662
Original post by posthumus
I've only done 4 :redface: 2 which are later than 2009.... but I couldn't possibly say which one's the hardest :redface: They're all pretty much the same in terms of difficulty, it's more about making sure you don't make silly mistakes

I did (and my marks are)
June 09 (65)
June 10 (62)
June 11 (65)
June 12 (73)
Jan 13 (69)

as you can see my marks are somewhat towards the top but vary from 70UMS to 95 UMS!!
what page is the list of definitions on?
Any tips on flow charts? I don't understand when you start a new row, is it after each step or after going through the whole flow chart once??:s-smilie:
Original post by tobywalsh
I did (and my marks are)
June 09 (65)
June 10 (62)
June 11 (65)
June 12 (73)
Jan 13 (69)

as you can see my marks are somewhat towards the top but vary from 70UMS to 95 UMS!!

That's really good ! I haven't timed myself or counted up my marks :redface: But I've gotten nowhere near those :redface:

I got 50 UMS in January's D1 exam :colondollar:
Original post by Jammy4410
what page is the list of definitions on?

Pages 38/39 for the graph related ones
Original post by Fortitude
Any tips on flow charts? I don't understand when you start a new row, is it after each step or after going through the whole flow chart once??:s-smilie:

Oh, I hate these the most !!!!!! Came up in January, so I'm just hoping they will not come up again..... arguably the most hated thing in D1
Original post by Fortitude

Okay crap, I just explained gantt charts hahah!
When it's a square, start a new row! Since a square represents an instruction.
Chances are it won't come up - It came up in Jan 2013
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by otrivine
OK good, and it would be great if you could check for me question 26) part d) page 172? i dont get it

Can't help, I don't have the book.
Original post by posthumus
Oh, I hate these the most !!!!!! Came up in January, so I'm just hoping they will not come up again..... arguably the most hated thing in D1

Yeah, really wishing one doesn't come up :redface:
Reply 671
Original post by P!=NP
How many past papers has everyone done and how many more do they plan to do? Anybody done every paper after 2009? If so, which one was the hardest?

Edit: Apart from maths247, any other last minute revision sources?

I have - I actually think Jan 13 was one the hardest recent ones, so I'm glad we didn't sit that! But thankfully the stuff that was hard in there probably won't come up this time :-) still worth doing though, if you haven't already :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Westeros
Okay crap, I just explained gantt charts hahah!
When it's a square, start a new row! Since a square represents an instruction.
Chances are it won't come up - It came up in Jan 2013

Ha, ha thanks!:smile:
Original post by P!=NP

Edit: Apart from maths247, any other last minute revision sources?

Did pretty much all available- don't even ask.. we got one every week.
With the answer book and the questions its been a lot of paper..
marks vary from 67-71- gotta watch out on stupid mistakes though, like not answering parts of questions :rolleyes:
guys is it okay to do the exam all in pencil I just find it easier, also do you think I should do a practice paper straight before the exam just to my mind working??

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really really don't want scheduling diagrams to come up but it looks likely :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Flounder1
guys is it okay to do the exam all in pencil I just find it easier, also do you think I should do a practice paper straight before the exam just to my mind working??

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's less likely to be readable if scanned and sent via computers. Though it does state at the front to do all writing in pen, I don't think you'd get 0 marks or anything :tongue: ... I certainly wouldn't risk it, personally :tongue: Maybe some places where you could write big or clear go for pencil if you really prefer it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes you can do the paper in pencil but to be safe I'd do any written answers in pen, and diagrams in pencil
Reply 678
Original post by tobywalsh
My teacher tells me that you should always write every working value you obtain - even if it is bigger than your lowest working value, just put it in brackets... .

Imagine you get 26 then 23 then 24, you would write 26 [space] 23 [space] then (24) - note the brackets... .

Don't give them an excuse to take a mark off you!!

if a working value is bigger you don't have to write it down; however, I do as it can help on a part b) or c)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd do it in pen due to the scanners not being able to pick up pencil. However if you want to use pencil on the linear programming incase you make a mistake on your graph, then go ahead but make sure you go over it in pen! But that would waste precious minutes in the exam :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending