The Student Room Group

English literature of mice and men aqa

Hi, I need help with Of mice and men. I need contextual information to relate to Slim, Curley, George, Lennie or Candy for the B question for the aqa gcse paper.
I say these characters because I think these are the most likely ones to come up. Also, how much do you need to write for each part A and B? Would 3 points for each be ok?
I would be grateful if someone could send me a module of an a* piece of work to help guide me, thank you.
Original post by MrB24
Hi, I need help with Of mice and men. I need contextual information to relate to Slim, Curley, George, Lennie or Candy for the B question for the aqa gcse paper.
I say these characters because I think these are the most likely ones to come up. Also, how much do you need to write for each part A and B? Would 3 points for each be ok?
I would be grateful if someone could send me a module of an a* piece of work to help guide me, thank you.

I'm on AQA!
Consider things like,
Companionship, discrimination, foreshadowing, etc

3 points should be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Olympiad
I'm on AQA!
Consider things like,
Companionship, discrimination, foreshadowing, etc

3 points should be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Link to your notes?
I'm doing the same thing :3
For Qa I detail at least five points, however writing a lot about one quote will secure you plenty of marks. For Qb, most of the questions revolve around how the characters are presented to represent society, so for instance Candy represents the weakness that was present in the 1930s (as he is missing a hand) and how this weakness causes him to be devalued by society and the ranch-men (as he lacks the ability to carry out physical tasks). Curley represents the doubt (he is doubtful of Lennie and George's relationship) insecurity (he wears high-heeled boots to usurp his authority and appear taller) and dreams (his tenacity reflects this) in 1930s America. Slim is the only character who's flaws are minimised, and acts as the symbol of unwritten authority and hope, as his 'flawless' personality and appearance equips the ranchmen with an ideal to strive towards (reflects the theme of dreams). The relationship between Lennie and George conveys the desperation that was present during the Great Depression (George expresses his confliction between loneliness and Lennie's companionship). In addition, their friendship can be viewed from a cynical perspective, as George uses Lennie for physical protection and Lennie uses George for comfort.
Original post by Chicago
Link to your notes?

Getrevising.com
Username: Shanij
Posted loads
Reply 5
Original post by Olympiad
Getrevising.com
Username: Shanij
Posted loads

It keeps saying something about me having to pay to subscribe
Reply 6
Thanks for that, I am getting the hang of it now. How does Steinbeck use the character of Lennie to represent violence in America during the 1930's. I got the quote: 'Why do you got to get killed? I didn't bounce you hard' and said this created gruel imagery, Lennie is a weak character, yet him being violent to ones weaker then him represent that people in America were all violent, as they desperately tried to get out of poverty. Is there any other good contextual info I could say about violence from that quote?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending