The Student Room Group

Unfair driving test fail...

So I just took my test for the first time and failed - 3 minors and 1 major. The major was approaching a roundabout with 3 lanes, he said "ahead 2nd exit" .. to me this means middle lane, as the left is for going left and the right is for going right... so the middle means ahead, no?

I got a major for going into the middle, apparently the wrong lane, then he looked at me and repeated the instruction as if I had gone into the wrong lane, so I moved into the left lane and it was too close to another car.

What would you have done in this situation? I still think I was in the right lane, as the middle lane leads onto the left lane of two on the next set of lights on the roundabout, whereas the left lane was an immediate exit to the left.

It was the ambiguity in his instruction that threw me, and I asked him to explain before we got there, he just repeated the same ambiguous instruction.

What would you have done in this situation, left lane or middle lane?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by natalieoneill
So I just took my test for the first time and failed - 3 minors and 1 major. The major was approaching a roundabout with 3 lanes, he said "ahead 2nd exit" .. to me this means middle lane, as the left is for going left and the right is for going right... so the middle means ahead, no?

I got a major for going into the middle, apparently the wrong lane, then he looked at me and repeated the instruction as if I had gone into the wrong lane, so I moved into the left lane and it was too close to another car.

What would you have done in this situation? I still think I was in the right lane, as the middle lane leads onto the left lane of two on the next set of lights on the roundabout, whereas the left lane was an immediate exit to the left.

It was the ambiguity in his instruction that threw me, and I asked him to explain before we got there, he just repeated the same ambiguous instruction.

I would've been in the left lane for first and second exit. I use middle for third exit. And right lane for fourth. Better luck next time.
Reply 2
google map link or explanation of exactly where this is and from what direction were you approaching it please
Yeah left lane for second exit (assuming straight across roundabout).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I failed my first test because I stopped at the zebra crossing (it was school time) and I let the kids cross. Then it was empty and i drove past, and WHEN i got over the zebra another kid was on the OTHERSIDE of the road and there was a middle bit in the road for people to stand in but I still got a major for it.
Original post by Yawn11
I would've been in the left lane for first and second exit. I use middle for third exit. And right lane for fourth. Better luck next time.

There are some roundabouts where the left lane is exclusively for the first exit only. There's one near my house, from the dual carriageway, there's a big roundabout on the A10 and the left lane is only for the M25, so it would be pretty disastrous if a learner driver went down the motorway.

:/
It's hard to say without a Google maps image to show the roundabout you were on. Not all roundabouts are the same.
Original post by James A
There are some roundabouts where the left lane is exclusively for the first exit only. There's one near my house, from the dual carriageway, there's a big roundabout on the A10 and the left lane is only for the M25, so it would be pretty disastrous if a learner driver went down the motorway.

This isn't really relevant. There are signs and there are lane markings for roundabouts which allow you to determine the correct lane during the approach. There is much variety in roundabouts and if the OP isn't able to adapt to this then they were rightly failed.
Reply 8
Yh, it depends on the roundabout you were on, perhaps provide us with a googlemap view of it? But the bottom line is that you were failed because you were too close to a car when you switched lanes, not because you were in the wrong lane, you would have probably gotten a minor at most had you exited the middle lane safely.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Yawn11

Depends on the roundabout. If there were three entry lanes, and three possible exits plus the road I was coming from, I would normally assume that each lane corresponded to one exit. If there were more than three exits I'd only use the right lane for the very last exit.

OP, were there maybe some signs or road markings indicating which lane you were supposed to be in? That's the only way I can imagine the examiner could say you definitely were in the wrong lane. And even if you were, you could still have avoided a fail if you had safely managed to get into the correct lane, even if it meant waiting until someone left a gap for you.
Original post by Sammydemon
This isn't really relevant. There are signs and there are lane markings for roundabouts which allow you to determine the correct lane during the approach. There is much variety in roundabouts and if the OP isn't able to adapt to this then they were rightly failed.

Why isn't this relevant? That's exactly why I said some roundabouts.

All drivers including the OP should know what lane to be in on approach.
Reply 11
Original post by James A
Why isn't this relevant? That's exactly why I said some roundabouts.

All drivers including the OP should know what lane to be in on approach.

I thought that till coming to Wales and find some roundabouts with 3 lanes and 5 turn offs (I think) and 2 being first turn off only :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by James A

That bloody roundabout...
Reply 13
We can't help you without a picture. Yes, often enough; left lane = left exit and second exit but if there's 3 lanes = middle lane = second exit. We need pictures tbh.

Other than that, you should follow road markings rather than basing everything on training (i.e. I'm used to being in the left lane for middle exit so I will be in the left lane) always read signs and road markings.

Either way, it seemed you failed because of the other car having to brake severely. I didn't read how you failed for being in the wrong lane after being told you was going a certain way.
(edited 10 years ago)
As others have said, you got the major for cutting lanes and causing another driver to brake. You could have got a dangerous for it too, if the examiner was feeling particularly harsh (not that it matters as it's a fail either way, it just sounds worse). Wrong lane if handled correctly is a minor. Roundabouts can be a pain if you don't know the correct way to do them, but the main thing if you are not sure if to keep a good eye on your mirrors and make sure you don't cut anyone up or worse hit them if you have to change lanes. At difficult roundabouts, it's also useful to make sure that even if you know you are right, someone else doesn't make a mistake. Some roundabouts are just evil though, more so when markings are faded.
Original post by natalieoneill

what did he specifically say the major was for?
Reply 16
You would hve been in the correct lane if you was driving your own car, but you know what examiners are like, my instructors always told me 'left hand lane for left exit and for going over the roundabout' in a way you are right but in the examiners eyes you should have been in the left hand lane. Good luck for your next one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I just remember it like a clock, anything from 12 through to 6 is on the right lane, anything from 6 through to 12 is the left lane.
Original post by emmatays
You would hve been in the correct lane if you was driving your own car, but you know what examiners are like, my instructors always told me 'left hand lane for left exit and for going over the roundabout' in a way you are right but in the examiners eyes you should have been in the left hand lane. Good luck for your next one!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends entirely how big the roundabout is and how many exits there are.

There's a big roundabout not far from where I live and it's got four exits. The left exit is for the M25, so it would be a disaster if a learner went down the motorway (because of the fact that they were in the left lane). The signs painted on the road are your best bet and give you warning in good time.
(edited 10 years ago)
I failed my test today with 2 serious and 10 minors.
the 1st serious was observations in when manoevering a turn in the road. A car fastly approached me from behind and had to promptly brake meaning the examiner failed me for failing to see the car.....when it arrived after i had began!

the second serious was being too close to parked cars when turning into the test centre.

other than that the minors werent that bad, just nerves and i thought i drove reall well. A real shame to have to re-book :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending