The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'd propose 14. But still, 16 is rather high.
Oh wow! Here the age of consent is 17 and I think that is low! I didn't lose mine until 20!!
13 is just sick... they're too young to even know about it properly!
Original post by xXHolly_90Xx
Oh wow! Here the age of consent is 17 and I think that is low! I didn't lose mine until 20!!

In the UK it's 16 for boys and girls

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DannySmyth29
In the UK it's 16 for boys and girls

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I was not aware that it had been lowered since I last lived here lol Northern Ireland used to be 17 not that long ago. 16 is worse! lol
"She said that "touching a 17-year-old's breast, kissing a 13-year-old, or putting one's hand up a 16-year-old's skirt" are not crimes comparable to gang rapes and murders and "anyone suggesting otherwise has lost touch with reality"."

Personally I think she's lost touch with reality. Stupid stupid woman.
I think the age of consent should definitely NOT be changed! There's lots of reasons why I think it would be really wrong - 13 is too young to deal with that kind of intimate relationship, it would increase teenage pregnancy rates which are already ridiculously high, as someone else said it would make 11 and 12 year olds think well we are only a bit too young and it would legalise a 13 year old having a sexual relationship with, say, a 25 year old man.
Reply 26
Oh my gosh. 13 years old is WAY too young; if you've seen how immature kids these ages can be then you'd agree.
Original post by Vikki1805
A 16 year old can (currently) have sexual intercourse.
Although they can't watch other people have sex for another 2 years.

:lol: it's kind of a redundant law anyway, nearly every 15/16 year old has broken it...
No way. They may be physically developed at 13, but they are definitely not mentally developed. For some people, even 16 is too young.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
The reasons she uses for this are appalling (she seems to want to protect paedophiles), but I have believed for a long time that the age of consent should be lowered or even scrapped altogether. The idea that two 15 year olds who want to have sex are told that they're "too young to know what they want" by the state is abhorrent and patronising. What is even more preposterous is that if two fifteen year olds do have sex, then one of them is a criminal (I won't go into the hideous injustice of making this the boy almost exclusively). Which suggests that they are "emotionally mature" enough to decide they want to commit a crime by having sex, but not emotionally mature enough to know that they want to have sex? This is ridiculous. Yes it is true that in cases like that the law is rarely enforced, but it can and does happen that people are convicted for having consensual underage sex; basically destroying somebody's life for absolutely no reason.

In an ideal world I'd scrap the age of consent entirely and state simply that sex with prepubescent children is illegal (since they are literally incapable of having sexual urges, and physically unprepared). However, this becomes muddy because it would be hard to determine whether or not the victim was pubescent at the time of the crime, and how exactly do you define puberty etc. a better solution would be to reduce the age of consent to 13; above 13, you are certainly emotionally mature enough to know what you want sexually, and at 12 or below most people are just starting puberty and are probably physically incapable of having sex or even having sexual desires.

I'd like to point out that such a change would not protect paedophiles or child rapists; above 13, the "victim" would still need to consent. The possibility of coercion would have to be taken into account, but unlike now it shouldn't just be automatically presumed. That said, it may be prudent to include some kind of "maximum age gap" clause (perhaps 3 years) until 16 to prevent much older partners who could more easily manipulate the would-be victim.

It's all very well for people to say "I don't think kids should be having sex before 16." but that's quite frankly irrelevant. If two people want to do something together that influences nobody else, then it is no place of anyone else to tell them they cannot.

TL;DR: 13/14/15 year olds are perfectly capable of deciding if they want to have sex. Preventing them from doing so is unjust and wrong.
When I was 13, I was still clueless about how to use a tampon, let alone make a decision to have sex.
The law is fine as it is.
I lost my virginity at age 15, with another 15 year old, and we wouldn't have gotten into any legal trouble for it, so what's the point of lowering it anyway?
I think this serves as a lesson that even in high level professions there are people that are simply completely out of touch with reality. I'm glad that this barrister has put her views on the record so that now we know she shouldn't be taken seriously on this topic ever again.
I do think the laws should be changed

Id say it should be lowered to 14 years old but they should only be allowed to have sex with someone born within 2 years of them (i.e upto 16) , at 15 that should be made 3 years and at 16 that should be upped to 4 years, 17 upped to 5 years and 18 you are then officially an adult and can have sex with whoever you want.

The reason I would do this is because while i'm still quite uneasy about 14/15 year olds having sex I know for a fact that they do when I was that age I knew quite a few people were having sex now if the boy happens to be 16 when he has sex with her and they get caught that means he will be put on the sex offenders register which is absoloutley ridiculous. I feel my proposal would cater to the reality of what's going on in the real world but still protect young people from older people taking advantage of them. I read about a father who caught his 15 year old daughter having sex with her 16 year old boyfriend so he called the police and reported it now that boy will be stuck on the sex offenders register for the rest of his life his chances of getting a job will go down infact it could ruin his whole life due to the stupidity and the rigidity of the law (and the father being a scumbag).
Reply 33
Original post by NotACat
Honestly, I agree with her. Society has an incredible neurosis and double standard when it comes to sex. I'm not going say much more because it's a really touchy issue and people are prone to get emotive about it. All I will say is I had sex when I was 9, and it was a wonderful experience.

I recommend those interested in actually objectively thinking about the issue instead of reverting to a knee-jerk, automatic response like everyone else does to have a look at these books:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harmful-Minors-Perils-Protecting-Children/dp/0816640068

http://www.amazon.com/The-Trauma-Myth-Children-Aftermath/product-reviews/0465022111/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one/182-3678584-2052947?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

Lol, I seriously doubt that's true and anyway why would making something ridiculous like that up help your argument (unless of course you mean masturbation, then that would be more believable):rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
I think 13/14 is fine, though perhaps with a sliding scale (they can go two years above, but above that is abusive) until the age of 18, with restrictions put on people on positions of authority (e.g. teachers, police officers etc).

Original post by xXHolly_90Xx

The age of consent has been 16 in Northern Ireland for nearly 5 years :erm:
Reply 35
15 maybe but not 13.
Reply 36
Jesus Christ. Has anyone commenting on here actually read through the original article on Spiked? She doesn't even mention lowering the age of consent to 13 until the very last line of the article. Okay, I personally think 13 is way too young as an age of consent, I'll grant you. However, amid all the people here saying 'she's out of touch with reality', she actually makes very valid legal points in her article about the way in which sexual abuse is dealt with - the disregard for the presumption of innocence, the way in which a bit of groping (which is still very wrong) can be treated the same as gang rape, 'child-friendly' courts moving away from proving guilt to therapy. It is a problem for rule of law. 13, again, I think is too young (should be 18-21), but aside from that, I agree with everything she says in that article.

EDIT: http://www.spiked-online.com/site/article/13612/ also makes an interesting read on the matter.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by Katie_p
I think her attitude and reasoning is appalling.

However, I think 16 is a little old, since many people are emotionally ready to have sex before this. I think 14, with an additional rule (although perhaps only prosecution guideline rather than statutory law) that until both parties are over 16, there cannot be an age difference of more than 2 years between the parties.

Speak for yourself.
Original post by MancBoy
Speak for yourself.

Well that's the point, isn't it? :curious:

People mature at different ages. Some people are sexually precocious. They should not be criminalised for that. It's not like having the age of consent at 13 makes it compulsory to start having sex at 13 :nothing:
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending