The Student Room Group

Higher Biology 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Higher candidate
25 was B if it was the one about enzyme activity cos it decreased by half

Yeh Q25 was B not A - looked again at the paper this morning when I was less tired (at high copper concentration the enzyme was completely inhibited as it showed 100% of initial concentration) - changed the answers in my original post to show this. The correct answer was that at 2.5 enzyme activity was halved.

Also section B had around 30 marks of problem solving from a total of 80 marks in this section - this is normal for Higher - it just feels like there is more PS than there actually is when you sit the exam as you are desperate to show what you have revised.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 281
Original post by Nessie162
It wasn't Cyanide...
the question was "Why the population of green fly caused the fall in cyanic glucoside concentration" :tongue:

And the answer I wrote was
"Because the cyanic glucoside is broken down to cyanide"

I put because the greenflys were eating the leaf surfaces, the plant photosynthesised less, causing less atp to be formed which is needed for the synthesis of the cyanic glucoside??:redface: im sure I've done a few questions exactly like that before

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 282
Original post by hiimsophx
I put because the greenflys were eating the leaf surfaces, the plant photosynthesised less, causing less atp to be formed which is needed for the synthesis of the cyanic glucoside??:redface: im sure I've done a few questions exactly like that before

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it said using information from the graph... somehow I don't think you got that from the graph :smile:
see the one where you had to tick two boxes, either W X Y Z and then like 0-2 y 2-7 y 12-18 y extraaa...what boxes did yous tick?
Reply 284
Original post by lovechemistry
see the one where you had to tick two boxes, either W X Y Z and then like 0-2 y 2-7 y 12-18 y extraaa...what boxes did yous tick?

I remember ticking box X and I think I put 12-18.
Original post by CSM1996
I remember ticking box X and I think I put 12-18.

yay good! i changed it from 0-2 to that just at the end :biggrin:
Reply 286

I put 0-2 because even though 12-18 had the largest increase that was over a period of 6 years whereas if you devided that by 3 to see the increase for 2 years then it was less of that than 0-2 years but idk ):

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 287
Original post by hiimsophx
I put 0-2 because even though 12-18 had the largest increase that was over a period of 6 years whereas if you devided that by 3 to see the increase for 2 years then it was less of that than 0-2 years but idk ):

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think it said per year did it? I thought it just said the greatest increase.
Wait... I though we had to tick two boxes.

Then we had to choose one which proved that GH wasn't the only factor which contributed to growth.
it was only one box for the first one .... im sure
Original post by Robswilson
aww god! okay what about part b? What shows that it is resistant to the cyanide?

even though increased amounts of cyanide is being produced the population of green fly continued to increase so they weren't effected by it

this shows resistance, it was a mutation question.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 291
I think the sqa should upload the answer scheme straight away, would clear up so much confusion:frown:
Original post by CSM1996
I don't think it said per year did it? I thought it just said the greatest increase.

it was just what box shows that GH has an increase in body mass

pretty sure it was 12-18 because GH increased while body mass did. the others didn't show that, as in the next box the GA mass fell even though growth increased.

same with 0-2, the gh remained constant but growth happened which didn't support the statement.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Nessie162
Wait... I though we had to tick two boxes.

Then we had to choose one which proved that GH wasn't the only factor which contributed to growth.

one box, pretty sure it was just the one which best supported GH=bodymass increase

the next bit for not the only factor i said from 14-24 growth kept occuring but GH mass had fell rapidly in this time
Reply 294
Was light intensity a valid thing to say for the yeast variable question? I think yeast grow best in damp and dark conditions
Original post by JackoGeddes
it was just what box shows that GH has an increase in body mass

pretty sure it was 12-18 because GH increased while body mass did. the others didn't show that, as in the next box the GA mass fell even though growth increased.

same with 0-2, the gh remained constant but growth happened which didn't support the statement.

what did you put for the next part, where you had to tick w x y or z
what did you put for the next part, where you had to tick w x y or z

box X i think, it was the only box that had GH increasing AND body mass increasing fully, which supported the statement GH=increase body mass
Reply 297
Original post by Robswilson
aww god! okay what about part b? What shows that it is resistant to the cyanide?

i said because greenfly were still present at some levels of it, not sure if thats right
Original post by am16
i said because greenfly were still present at some levels of it, not sure if thats right

it was the fact that even though the plant was producing more cyanide (which would usually deter grazing) they kept increasing, so they must have been resistant.

pretty sure i wrote ''Increased production of cyanide by leaves but green fly population per leaf keeps increasing so they are resistant''
Reply 299
Original post by JackoGeddes
it was the fact that even though the plant was producing more cyanide (which would usually deter grazing) they kept increasing, so they must have been resistant.

pretty sure i wrote ''Increased production of cyanide by leaves but green fly population per leaf keeps increasing so they are resistant''

I'm pretty sure that it wasnt increasing, the levels were going in opposite directions but i may have looked at it wrong

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending