The Student Room Group

AS-Level English Literature OCR Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by gvb
thanks for that! Is there any chance you could put this into another format, perhaps PDF, as i can't seem to open it

Yep sure, I only did it over the past day so I havent developed all the points but I hope its of some use
Does anyone have any idea what might come up for Frankenstein? I'm hoping women or something like 'Is the novel purely Gothic or a moral tale?'
Also, my teacher refuses to give us the exact mark for our coursework because she wants us to 'forget about it now and concentrate on the exam' but my other teacher said its a high B, so around how many marks do you think I'll need to get tomorrow to get at least a B overall?
Reply 282
Original post by DaniT12345
Does anyone have any idea what might come up for Frankenstein? I'm hoping women or something like 'Is the novel purely Gothic or a moral tale?'
Also, my teacher refuses to give us the exact mark for our coursework because she wants us to 'forget about it now and concentrate on the exam' but my other teacher said its a high B, so around how many marks do you think I'll need to get tomorrow to get at least a B overall?

For Frankenstein seems as though past questions have been based on male characters & suffering / destruction... maybe more direct Gothic or feminine questions this year
e.g:

'Tough on crime, tough on causes of crime' - is this true of frankenstein?
'Gothic Literature is primarily engaged with the anxieties of the age that produced it', true of frankenstein?

'In frankenstein, natural man is incompatible with natural beauty' Discuss
'The sleep of reason produces monsters' Discuss

How far do you agree with statement:
'Mary Shelley writes better men than women'
'The portrayal of women is disappointing because it reinforces female stereotypes'... etc.

If you were just on the B boundary, you'd need 46/60 to get a B. Here's my grade calculator attached.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by DaniT12345

it really is dependent on what you got on your coursework, around 35/40 for coursework would mean you would have to get 20/30 in both papers, so 40/60. i hate teachers that dont give marks for coursework:mad:. I didnt get my first draft mark for my second piece of coursework and my final ended up being 11/15! pretty sure I couldve done better if i knew what mark i had gotten.
Reply 284
Original post by madmax1234
it really is dependent on what you got on your coursework, around 35/40 for coursework would mean you would have to get 20/30 in both papers, so 40/60. i hate teachers that dont give marks for coursework:mad:. I didnt get my first draft mark for my second piece of coursework and my final ended up being 11/15! pretty sure I couldve done better if i knew what mark i had gotten.

Sounds like an awful situation. My teacher was quite funny with coursework, we had to give our first drafts in before the holidays, but only half the class bothered to do it and hand it it. when we came back she said "Well I'm so glad that so many of you are so confident with the standard of your coursework you didn't want to hand it to me to look over, that's a very good sign ":biggrin:

She didn't spend too long on the marks though, just told us the range and who got full marks (which was kind of obvious as it was just those who bothered to draft it)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 285
Did anyone lie about their word count for the coursework? I actually spend hours cutting my coursework down to the limit, but then so many other people were so over 3000 that the teacher told us to doctor it up, as OCR aren't going to word by word count a hard document - I was quite annoyed with that.
Reply 286
Original post by Ndella
Turn of The Screw is an absolute disaster for me, I'll probably fail that part of the exam. One of the English teachers at my school created a slideshow on how to structure a poetry essay. I could send it to you if you want

is this still available for me to have???
Original post by Piguy
For Frankenstein seems as though past questions have been based on male characters & suffering / destruction... maybe more direct Gothic or feminine questions this year
e.g:

'Tough on crime, tough on causes of crime' - is this true of frankenstein?
'Gothic Literature is primarily engaged with the anxieties of the age that produced it', true of frankenstein?

'In frankenstein, natural man is incompatible with natural beauty' Discuss
'The sleep of reason produces monsters' Discuss

How far do you agree with statement:
'Mary Shelley writes better men than women'
'The portrayal of women is disappointing because it reinforces female stereotypes'... etc.

If you were just on the B boundary, you'd need 46/60 to get a B. Here's my grade calculator attached.

Thankyou, this was really helpful! :biggrin:
Reply 288
anyone else doing Turn of The Screw?
Original post by ChrisP8
anyone else doing Turn of The Screw?

yep, worst book in history :mad:
Reply 290
Original post by Emma_F
Yep sure, I only did it over the past day so I havent developed all the points but I hope its of some use

thank you so much for this, do you happen to have any notes or key ideas on the Gothic theme for Dorian Gray?
Original post by Emma_F
Im sorry the essay is a bit of a mess structure wise and probably doesn't really make sense in places :s-smilie:
The cat and the moon, I know that would be awful if it came up, my teacher finds that poem frustrating and pointless, she cant understand why OCR put it in the specification when Yeat's wrote so many finer poems!
Haha yeah Lord Henry's pretty Great, ah thats true, maybe influence would be ok

Ahh thanks for doc - it's helped me expand my discussion on women :smile: also I've read that sibyl parallels dorian in terms of character and being a living work of art - e.g. You said something about sibyl being a caged thing so was dorian in the novel!! It's quite interesting aha :biggrin:
Good luck to everyone tomorrow!! :smile:
Reply 293
Can anyone give me a complete list of themes for dorian gray cuz I actually don't know what it's about or anything, I'm desperate pleaseee :redface: Thanksss
Original post by Piguy
Did anyone lie about their word count for the coursework? I actually spend hours cutting my coursework down to the limit, but then so many other people were so over 3000 that the teacher told us to doctor it up, as OCR aren't going to word by word count a hard document - I was quite annoyed with that.

Ouch. That's annoying. I was about 15 words below the limit. I know people who were bang on the limit and some who had huge difficulties in cutting it down. One of my teachers (apparently) did actually count the words of our 2000 word coursework! (Possibly the ones that looked like they were longer than others.) Not sure on the truth of that, but they were definitely strict on it. They said they/examiners have to stop marking at the 3000th word...:s-smilie:
Original post by lauralauraanne
'The novel is heavy with moral and spiritual corruption' (Victorian review)

How far and in what ways do you agree with this view of The Picture of Dorian Gray?

'Time is not really suspended, even for the novel's beautiful young hero'.

In light of this comment, discuss ways in which Wilde portrays time passing in The Picture of Dorian Gray

Hope this helps :-)

Thank you so much!
Reply 296
Original post by ChrisP8
is this still available for me to have???

Yeah of course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys, if we're struggling with critical quotes, could we literally write: Richard Smith said that "Sybil Vane is presented as a variety of characters - with the exception of herself". ?
On a scale of 1-10 (10 being most ready), how ready are you for tomorrow?
Reply 299
Original post by gvb
thank you so much for this, do you happen to have any notes or key ideas on the Gothic theme for Dorian Gray?

Yep sure, again sorry, I only wrote this in the last day sorry it doesnt make sense and some bits are unclear , hope it help

The bit at the end of the introduction I forgot to edit, I couldnt remember the quote at the time. Where its talks of Dorian's sins, Wilde once told an interviewer 'what Dorian Grays's sins are no one knows, he who finds them has brought them'

So he is Leaving to the Victorian public to, by their own imagination judge what they are. It’s a kind of bold thing to do as it quite easily implicates their own immorality and in much sense their hypocritic nature, (remember Lord Henry 'we are in the native land of the hypocrit'). Wilde does not have to say it but it is pretty clear what his sins are and that they in some way relate to homosexuality. Given the uproar at this novel by the public, its pretty clear they knew it as Victorian society as a whole in being so generally closeted over such matters it would take some form of first-hand knowledge to pick up on it. Even for a public as virtuous as the Victorians, they knew what he was talking about
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending