The Student Room Group

Oyster Card 16-24

Hi,

I'm going to London soon and instead of borrowing my Dad's oyster card I was thinking of getting my own with 16-24 discount on it.

My question is: When I go to a ticket / travel office with my 16-24 travel card, will I get given my oyster there and then or will it have to be sent to me through the post?
(edited 10 years ago)
You can't get a 16-24 Oyster card unless if you're in full-time education within the London boroughs (Link). Of course if you are, you apply online and they ask for proof of enrollment from your Sixth Form.

I'd say your best bet is to buy an Oyster card (I think you can do so at the ticket machines now) yourself and use that, they cost about £2, and each journey costs something like £1-£2.
Reply 2
An Oyster card is £5 which is refundable if you return it.
How long are you going to be in London? Borrowing your dad's oyster would be better if you're only going for a week or so, but if you're going for longer then you should buy your own.
Original post by T'archer
Hi,

I'm going to London soon and instead of borrowing my Dad's oyster card I was thinking of getting my own with 16-24 discount on it.

My question is: When I go to a ticket / travel office with my 16-24 travel card, will I get given my oyster there and then or will it have to be sent to me through the post?

You'll need to apply online or by post since the card will need to have your photo and name printed on it. There is a 16-18 Oyster card or 18+ oyster card, so make sure you apply for the right one.

The 16-18 card gives free travel on buses and trams so long as you're in full time education and live in a London borough.

For an 18+ Oyster, you'll need to live in a London address during term time and also enrolled in full time education. Have a look at the TfL website for all the details and to apply: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14312.aspx

If you're just visiting for the day, it's not really worth getting a card. Rather get a standard oyster card and use that.
Reply 5
Original post by Bonoahx
You can't get a 16-24 Oyster card unless if you're in full-time education within the London boroughs (Link). Of course if you are, you apply online and they ask for proof of enrollment from your Sixth Form.

I'd say your best bet is to buy an Oyster card (I think you can do so at the ticket machines now) yourself and use that, they cost about £2, and each journey costs something like £1-£2.

Reply 6
Hi,

a lot of people have got confused. if you want the 16-24 rail discount on it you need to buy the oyster card first- this costs £5 (refundable), say that you want to register it= one form. then once you have the oystercard and its been registered you need to fill out another form to get the 16-24 railcard put on it.
Reply 7
Original post by Bonoahx

the OP wants to put a 16-24 railcard discount on an oystercard and oystercards cost £5
Reply 8
Original post by Hustler-1337
You'll need to apply online or by post since the card will need to have your photo and name printed on it. There is a 16-18 Oyster card or 18+ oyster card, so make sure you apply for the right one.

The 16-18 card gives free travel on buses and trams so long as you're in full time education and live in a London borough.

For an 18+ Oyster, you'll need to live in a London address during term time and also enrolled in full time education. Have a look at the TfL website for all the details and to apply: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14312.aspx

If you're just visiting for the day, it's not really worth getting a card. Rather get a standard oyster card and use that.

the op wants to put the 16-24 railcard on their oystercard
Reply 9
Original post by jelly1000
a lot of people have got confused. if you want the 16-24 rail discount on it you need to buy the oyster card first- this costs £5 (refundable), say that you want to register it= one form. then once you have the oystercard and its been registered you need to fill out another form to get the 16-24 railcard put on it.

Thats what I originally thought. I saw on the website that you save a 3rd on off peak times. Would it be a case off that I can buy a card on the day an immediately put the discount on to use it there and then?
the OP wants to put a 16-24 railcard discount on an oystercard and oystercards cost £5

Oh right, fair enough. Didn't know you could do that.
Thats what I originally thought. I saw on the website that you save a 3rd on off peak times. Would it be a case off that I can buy a card on the day an immediately put the discount on to use it there and then?

should be able to, just will take a few minutes to fill in forms.
Reply 12
should be able to, just will take a few minutes to fill in forms.

Do you have to fill a form in to get the railcard added?:s-smilie: I know with the disabled persons railcard, you can go to any London station, go to customer assistance and get it added there.
Original post by OU Student
Do you have to fill a form in to get the railcard added?:s-smilie: I know with the disabled persons railcard, you can go to any London station, go to customer assistance and get it added there.

yes thats what you do with the 16-24 railcard, maybe im getting mixed up but im sure i remember being given a form to fill in by the guy at the counter and after that he added my railcard

Quick Reply

Latest