The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
I do OMAM and AIC, do you guys do an introduction and plan?
Original post by lolaaa96
Hey this may sound a little silly, but do you need to include page numbers in reference to quotes you include in answers?
I've always been under the impression it is not necessary (I also feel it interrupts the fluency of an essay) but as I have my exam on monday I want to be sure!
:smile:

My teacher told us that we should NOT include the page numbers and make sure you use only short quotes! :smile:
Reply 262
If anyone is doing The Woman in Black, can you share with me how you are revising for it? Thanks. :smile:
Reply 263
Is anyone else doing Martyn Pig and Of Mice & Men?

I know that it is likely that either Slim or Curley may pop up for Of Mice and Men, but does anyone have any predictions for Martyn Pig? o.O
Reply 265
Original post by DenchmanFrimmy
I find making my own questions much more effective, I'm not studying those books, but often if you pick a theme or character and make your own title this can often be effective.

Also what is a good way to revise, is outline a load of questions that have a similar structure to what will come up in the exam, and begin to just plan your points that you would make, similar to how you would do in an exam situation, this is really helpful in allowing you to think quickly and is the best way to replicate the speed of thought required in an exam

That is some DENCH advice right there.
Reply 266
Original post by ryanb97
Hey...

Suggestion:

Start sticking resources on the first post??

ive got a lot of OMAM stuff

ive attached it all in a ZIP

there should be :

- About 15/16 essays in total
- A 36/36 essay for OMAM jan 2013 paper
- 3 Sets of revision guides
- 4/5 files on context and stuff

and there is an example language paper on there as well
- 73/80 - language paper
oh its only 4 mb....

here is the link :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h9fw2vhxaudcbrh/OMAM%20-%20FULL.zip

hope that helps

ryan

Thank you so much!
Reply 267
Original post by ryanb97
Hey...

Suggestion:

there should be :

- 73/80 - language paper
oh its only 4 mb....

here is the link :

oh and i dont really own any of the items on the attched link .... i just found them online

but the majority are teachers resources so they sort of put it online for free for people to use
as students are people..we should use :biggrin: :biggrin:

i have attached the majority here though if you want...

hope that helps

ryan

Some great resources there. Thanks.
Reply 268
Original post by milly15
Is anyone else doing Martyn Pig and Of Mice and Men for exploring modern texts? I'm really struggling to find any revision help on Martyn Pig at all and I'm dreading the exam on Monday... I don't have a clue how to answer the questions!

Im doing Martyn Pig and Of Mice & Men too, M & M is fine to get revision notes on, (the mostly likely things to pop up apparently are Slim or Curley (so i've been told))

On the other hand i can't revise for Martyn Pig..but, the past exams have been..
June12-
a) Aunty Jean or b) martyns control or lack of control.

January 12
a) ideas on right & wrong or b) visit to the beach

June 2011
a) the ending, surprising or not surprising or b) the importance of the relation between atleast 2 of these characters
Martyn and his father Martyn and Alex
Martyn and Aunty Jean
how brooks presents this?

January 2011
a) “Home is home, I suppose. No matter how much you hate it, you still need it. You need whatever you’re used to. You need security.”
How does Brooks show Martyn’s feelings about his home in the novel?
or b) “You told me once that badness is a relative thing you said that something’s only
wrong if you think it’s wrong.”
How ‘bad’ do you think Alex is and how does Brooks present her in the novel?

I have absolutely no predictions for what it could possibly be on Monday... any ideas?
Original post by ryanb97
Hey...

Suggestion:

there should be :

- 73/80 - language paper
oh its only 4 mb....

here is the link :

oh and i dont really own any of the items on the attched link .... i just found them online

but the majority are teachers resources so they sort of put it online for free for people to use

hope that helps

ryan

This might just save my life. Thank you! :smile:
Reply 270
Original post by BP_Tranquility
Also, just wondering, but to revise, do you think it would be better to go through the past papers or should I make up my own questions that could come up (e.g. a question about Danforth for The Crucible) and then answer that? :smile:

EDIT: Just had a thought but is there any likelihood of there being a question on the masculinity of the different characters- e.g. Carlson, Slim, Lennie etc for Of Mice and Men?

Masculinity is not a central theme in the novel. I would say Friendship, for these three characters in particular.
Reply 271
Original post by ryanb97
Hey...

Suggestion:

there should be :

- 73/80 - language paper
oh its only 4 mb....

here is the link :

hope that helps

ryan

Appreciate it bro!
Original post by farhan96
that is some dench advice right there.

DENCHTASTIC advice from frimmy
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 273
I see not a lot of people are doing Kindertransport and Purple Hibiscus...
I'm dreading Purple Hibiscus. If the question is not on religion, I am pretty much eff'd.
Also, we're doing Moon on the Tides Anthology - Relationships cluster. I hate every single poem in that. Especially In Paris With You.
Reply 274
Original post by Rosaknows
I am doing the anthology, Mr Pip and the crucible :frown:

I AM DOING THE SAME BOOKS :O (AQA Anthology-Conflict)

I don't know why we are forced to do Mr Pip, there are no revision guides or any helpful information on it because it is so recent :frown: The Crucible is alright, I can usually bluff my way to a 26/30 or above.
Reply 275
Original post by ryanb97
Hey...

Suggestion:

there should be :

- 73/80 - language paper
oh its only 4 mb....

here is the link :

hope that helps

ryan

This is super helpful thank you!
Original post by cycahm
I do OMAM and AIC, do you guys do an introduction and plan?

make sure you do a plan - it's the best way to make sure you get a good grade because the examiner's will look at how you structure your essay or if it's just a load of waffle. Once you've done your plan, and know generally the gist of what the essay is going to be about, base your intro, short and sweet, about all the themes you'll talk about in the essay - then link all your ideas back to the question! good luck and hope this helped xD
Anyone got any example writing for The Crucible? Not sure how to revise for it, and not as confident on it as OMAM.
Original post by Pieroshky
I see not a lot of people are doing Kindertransport and Purple Hibiscus...
I'm dreading Purple Hibiscus. If the question is not on religion, I am pretty much eff'd.
Also, we're doing Moon on the Tides Anthology - Relationships cluster. I hate every single poem in that. Especially In Paris With You.

poetry is pretty much what you make of it. Just as long as you back up your own interpretation of the poem with plenty of quotes with word-level analysis you should be fine. Poetry is all down to your own interpretation - make it up if worst comes to worst :redface: good luck
Reply 279
Original post by scarlettp
Doing Woman In Black - super hard finding stuff to revise from!

There's actually some really good stuff from - getrevising.com , like the analysis and but, tbh im more prepared for OMAM - also finding a bit of difficulty to revise women in blackk :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending