The Student Room Group

Anyone received a first at university with less than 70%?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
:beer::ahee:
This is good to hear. At least it seems to be worked out better than A* at Alevel. What annoys me about that is how it's possible for one person to get more UMS than another, but they can get an A and the person with less UMS can get an A* because of the UMS not being spread across AS/A2 in the right way :angry:

Although if different unis have slightly different policys I suppose one person could get a couple marks more than someone else but end up with a 2:1 and the person with less amrks gtting a 1st perhaps ??

I think we were all making that assumption ...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by TheRandomer
Wow, that's like, really unfair..

haha well depends what you get :tongue:
Original post by Bill_Gates
haha well depends what you get :tongue:

haha well I got a first, but because I had over 70% average. It seems a bit silly for people with 68% to get a first, you gotta make a cut off point somewhere! Then again, all university exams are different and at varying levels of difficulty so it'll never be a level playing field.
Reply 24
haha well I got a first, but because I had over 70% average. It seems a bit silly for people with 68% to get a first, you gotta make a cut off point somewhere! Then again, all university exams are different and at varying levels of difficulty so it'll never be a level playing field.

I guess so, i think its just as unfair giving someone a 2.1 who got 60% and someone who got 69% a 2.1 as well. But that's just how it is.
Last year a guy from my course got a 2.2 in second year but graduated with a first. Another boy got a third in second year and graduated with a 2.1. But on my course second:third year is weighted 1:2 so if you do significantly better in your last year you can still get the higher grade.

A neg for telling you how my uni works, without any subjective opinion whatsoever...new lows TSR, new lows.
(edited 10 years ago)

It is designed for those who just missed a first by a few marks in one/two modules to still get a first. If you got an average of 69.9%, failing to get a first by 5 marks in one module - is it fair you get the same classification as someone who had an average of 61%.

Original post by infairverona
Last year a guy from my course got a 2.2 in second year but graduated with a first. Another boy got a third in second year and graduated with a 2.1. But on my course second:third year is weighted 1:2 so if you do significantly better in your last year you can still get the higher grade.

Year weighting is different - usually the later years are weighted higher because they are considered more difficult.
My uni is that you have to be within 2% of the higher grade (so for a 1st, 68 or 69) and then have 120 credits, with at least 60 in final year, at 70+.

That seems pretty harsh. I'm having visions about ending up with something ridiculous like 69.4% overall with like 110 credits at 70+. :erm:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by heidigirl
My uni is that you have to be within 2% of the higher grade (so for a 1st, 68 or 69) and then have 120 credits, with at least 60 in final year, at 70+.

That seems pretty harsh. I'm having visions about ending up with something ridiculous like 69.4% overall with like 110 credits at 70+. :erm:

haha same! but lets see what happens
Original post by rmhumphries
It is designed for those who just missed a first by a few marks in one/two modules to still get a first. If you got an average of 69.9%, failing to get a first by 5 marks in one module - is it fair you get the same classification as someone who had an average of 61%.

But you could say that about anything - what happens if you make the cut off point 68.5% and someone gets 68.4% ? You can't just keep lowering it. A percentage only system would probably be better, and then you'd also see the difference between someone with a 61% 2:1 and a 69.9% one.

I only meant that it was unfair some universities have this and some don't.
I did point out that due to the way there is no universal 'exam board' style system, and all universities set their own exams, it's inherently unfair anyway.
(edited 10 years ago)
But you could say that about anything - what happens if you make the cut off point 68.5% and someone gets 68.4% ? You can't just keep lowering it. A percentage only system would probably be better, and then you'd also see the difference between someone with a 61% 2:1 and a 69.9% one.

I only meant that it was unfair some universities have this and some don't.
I did point out that due to the way there is no universal 'exam board' style system, and all universities set their own exams, it's inherently unfair anyway.

The point of the borderline system is it allows the examination board to make a decision, based on someone's performance, if to grant them a first or a 2:1. If they only get 66.9% - there are a fair distance from the 70% of a 1st. You have to remember as well that they need to have half their modules at 70% or higher - so it is going to be people who missed out on a 1st because of one or two modules at 60 something %, as opposed to people who just had an average which was too low.

Within CS @ Nottingham at least, each decision on borderline classifications is taken by the board of examiners, so it is basically where people who just missed out on a classification have a chance of getting it still, allowing human judgement on where leeway should be granted or not.
The point of the borderline system is it allows the examination board to make a decision, based on someone's performance, if to grant them a first or a 2:1. If they only get 66.9% - there are a fair distance from the 70% of a 1st. You have to remember as well that they need to have half their modules at 70% or higher - so it is going to be people who missed out on a 1st because of one or two modules at 60 something %, as opposed to people who just had an average which was too low.

Within CS @ Nottingham at least, each decision on borderline classifications is taken by the board of examiners, so it is basically where people who just missed out on a classification have a chance of getting it still, allowing human judgement on where leeway should be granted or not.

This is what I mean - my University didn't require the whole 'more than half your modules greater than 70' thing. Everywhere has a different system.
I thought the point was that the OP was suggesting it's good to give someone a first if they get just below - but by that logic why not make it just a little bit lower than 'just below'? Where do you draw the line? You'll always have a group of people that just miss out. If you're going for this system you have to choose a certain percentage to be a cut off point and stick to it. If people come just below, it sucks for them, but changing the system to more of a GPA style thing is the only solution to that.

Yes, a board of examiners decision on borderline candidates is best. Rather than putting extra rules in place about which percentage is what.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Forum User
At my university you can get a first with a 68% average as long as you got 70%+ in enough individual modules. I thought that some variant on this was pretty standard.

Sheffield do this. They call it a 'borderline first', but as far as I'm aware, it will just say 'first' on your degree certificate.

Year weighting is different - usually the later years are weighted higher because they are considered more difficult.

Yes? That's what I said is it not? First year doesn't count towards your overall grade at my uni, second year is one third and third year is two thirds. Lots of people leave with a first which isn't a 'true' first, apparently.
Yes? That's what I said is it not? First year doesn't count towards your overall grade at my uni, second year is one third and third year is two thirds. Lots of people leave with a first which isn't a 'true' first, apparently.

I think the thread is more based around borderline classifications than non-weighted averages. I don't think many people would think that a first is not a true first with a < 70% non-weighted average.

Yes, a board of examiners decision on borderline candidates is best. Rather than putting extra rules in place about which percentage is what.

You do still need some guidelines on what is put before the board of examiners though - they don't have the time, nor do they want to review every candidate.
I think the thread is more based around borderline classifications than non-weighted averages. I don't think many people would think that a first is not a true first with a < 70% non-weighted average.

You do still need some guidelines on what is put before the board of examiners though - they don't have the time, nor do they want to review every candidate.

Yeah so stick to - are they incredibly close to the 60 or 70% grade boundaries? Simples.

But that's what I'm saying...a lot of people leave my uni with a first even when they got a low grade in second year because their average is like 68 but if they got mostly firsts in third year they leave with a first. My uni rounds up a lot, a girl I worked with last year graduated with a first in english and she got 67 overall..
Yeah so stick to - are they incredibly close to the 60 or 70% grade boundaries? Simples.

Which is the case (with my example at least), just that they use numbers instead of the vague term 'incredibly close'.

But that's what I'm saying...a lot of people leave my uni with a first even when they got a low grade in second year because their average is like 68 but if they got mostly firsts in third year they leave with a first. My uni rounds up a lot, a girl I worked with last year graduated with a first in english and she got 67 overall..

The opposite side of this however is that if both years are weighted equally, you get no extra credit for the harder modules. You could then get 85% in your second year on the easier modules, and then get 56% in your final year, and get a first - despite getting only a 2:2 in the harder modules. It is harder to get a first in a weighted system simply because you have to get higher marks in the harder modules.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38
In Bournemouth if you got 67, 68 or 69 overall you can still get a first if you have 70% in 80 level H credits. But i personally think thats too generous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by medbh4805
For Classics mods at Oxford

I imagine things like this vary enormously however by university and course. :holmes:

This is true for Leeds as well.

[6.80-6.85), you might be able to get first class. 6.85+ is first class.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending