The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Natty.B
I agree, especially with Djokovic already having the upper hand in the mental department after MC. Rafa somehow needs to use the game plan that worked for him last clay season against Djokovic, this year. But when I compare 2012 to now the clear weakness is the BH, Rafa was able to get his BH to a level where he could actually stay with Djokovic and not get troubled (his main trouble in 2011 also) Anyway, I'll worry about that SF if it happens.

Moving on, some surprising results today, Delpo out and beaten by Benoit Paire. I think Fed's half is quite open but even before all those players went out I was sure he was getting to the finals no problem, it would be nice to see him win the title here, he hasn't won Rome before, I think.

Yh hope he gets there too. In 2006 he was as close as one can be, but was denied by "yours truly" in a 5th set tiebreaker! I think Rog took 1st set 7-6, Rafa took 2nd set 7-6 and the 3rd set 6-4, Fed raced through 4th set 6-2, let 4-1 in the fifth, had two match points at 6-5, 40-15, blew them both with shanked forehands, led 5-3 in the tiebreaker, and still lost.
He'll be happy to some extent with DelPo going out to Paire (though historically, DelPo has never fared well at Rome anyway), but his match vs Simon will be the one that really matters (until the final). Simon's playing quite well, their H2H is level at 2-2 - it won't be easy.
Original post by Krish4791
Yh hope he gets there too. In 2006 he was as close as one can be, but was denied by "yours truly" in a 5th set tiebreaker! I think Rog took 1st set 7-6, Rafa took 2nd set 7-6 and the 3rd set 6-4, Fed raced through 4th set 6-2, let 4-1 in the fifth, had two match points at 6-5, 40-15, blew them both with shanked forehands, led 5-3 in the tiebreaker, and still lost.
He'll be happy to some extent with DelPo going out to Paire (though historically, DelPo has never fared well at Rome anyway), but his match vs Simon will be the one that really matters (until the final). Simon's playing quite well, their H2H is level at 2-2 - it won't be easy.

I'd like to see Roger pick up the trophy, but it is unlikely. Although if he faces a weaker Nadal or Djokovic, anything goes if Fed is on form (especially with is new 'no-nonsense' hair). It would be nice to get his 8th out of 9 Masters' titles.
Original post by JOR2010
I'd like to see Roger pick up the trophy, but it is unlikely. Although if he faces a weaker Nadal or Djokovic, anything goes if Fed is on form (especially with is new 'no-nonsense' hair). It would be nice to get his 8th out of 9 Masters' titles.

Yep - that's the closest he'll get to winning all of them - Monte Carlo will always evade him unfortunately.
Original post by natty.b
like someone just said here, throwing all the punches doesn't win you the match alone

i'm famous :biggrin:
Reply 1624
Original post by hskjlclcn
i'm famous :biggrin:

Haha, but you said it perfectly, Gulbis should've kept those punches going to set himself up a match point but he never got there.
Original post by Natty.B
Haha, but you said it perfectly, Gulbis should've kept those punches going to set himself up a match point but he never got there.

Have you seen this? http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/05/20/Rome-Thursday-Gulbis-Reaction-On-Nadal-Loss.aspx
Reply 1626
So for Nadal to face federer in the final he must defeat ferrer in the quarters and djoker in the semis right?
Original post by ubi1
So for Nadal to face federer in the final he must defeat ferrer in the quarters and djoker in the semis right?

Most likely, yes - unless Ferrer or Djoko are upset along the way.
Reply 1628
Most likely, yes - unless Ferrer or Djoko are upset along the way.

What do you want to see nadal vs federer final or djoker vs federer? I really want nadal and federer final:frown:
Original post by ubi1
What do you want to see nadal vs federer final or djoker vs federer? I really want nadal and federer final:frown:

Don't really mind lol - as long as it's a good final and hopefully Federer is in it
Reply 1630
Don't really mind lol - as long as it's a good final and hopefully Federer is in it

I cant remember the last time nadal and fed wer in a final?
Original post by ubi1
I cant remember the last time nadal and fed wer in a final?

I think RG 2011 final was the last one they played.
Original post by Natty.B

exactly and that is what makes champions, champions! Don't get me wrong Gulbis played very well but nobody can say he deserved to win, if he didn't win! :tongue:
Reply 1633
I think RG 2011 final was the last one they played.

Thats bloody 2 years ago.I cant wait for them to play in a final again.Legendary rivalry!
Original post by ubi1
Thats bloody 2 years ago.I cant wait for them to play in a final again.Legendary rivalry!

Yep! Their last match at Rome was an absolute epic as well
Reply 1635

That 5 seter in 2006 i watched that live and also the 2005 rome final.
Reply 1636

Lol, well he is certainly a breath of fresh air on the tour, says what he thinks and I can't fault him for that. Rafa was lucky to get out of this one. As for what he says in this, well I agree, he outplayed Rafa at times, but it didn't just come down to the errors/mistakes, Rafa found solutions, or at least took chances when they came, that's what wins matches. If there was a seperate award for a player who makes the most winners, fastest ace etc. in a match then he would win that today because he clearly won in those areas, what he didn't win was the points that mattered. Rafa won those.
Reply 1637

I still haven't actually seen all of that match, perhaps I will do after my exams.
Original post by Natty.B
I still haven't actually seen all of that match, perhaps I will do after my exams.

Yh - it's a match to remember. Gd luck with your exams!
Reply 1639
Original post by Natty.B
Lol, well he is certainly a breath of fresh air on the tour, says what he thinks and I can't fault him for that. Rafa was lucky to get out of this one. As for what he says in this, well I agree, he outplayed Rafa at times, but it didn't just come down to the errors/mistakes, Rafa found solutions, or at least took chances when they came, that's what wins matches. If there was a seperate award for a player who makes the most winners, fastest ace etc. in a match then he would win that today because he clearly won in those areas, what he didn't win was the points that mattered. Rafa won those.

True even though Rafa doesn't produce a lot of winner his margin for error is very low compared to his opponents.

Latest