The Student Room Group

D1 (Decision 1) 17 May 2013 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Westeros
Good luck to you too! I'm sure we'll be fine. Do we have to wait 12 hours or what not to discuss it?

Yeah I think so, but hopefully there won't be much to discuss :biggrin:
Original post by posthumus
when it's for example < rather than =<

therefore the variables you find on the line, are not valid.
You have to draw a dotted line for this... I would be surprised if it came up

May 2010 Paper had one, let's hope it doesn't come up!
Guys..... stupid questions due to nerves kicking in :

So the numbering for my nodes in activity networks does not matter... right?

Should I be worried if my scheduling diagrams look nothing at all like the ones in the mark scheme? (the main thing that matters is the number of rows/workers... right?) :smile:

In Linear programming you don't always have to use integers but it's unlikely they would ever give you numbers which kind of look irrational, I hope you know what I mean :smile: : 5.242421

I should give at least 3 suggested routes for my post man to take in order to get my full marks in route inspection questions ? :smile:
I think you'll be just fine :smile: surely you haven't forgotten much, I think you'd just want to get through the definitions! But don't pressurize yourself too much.

And a B is very good, which obviously suggests you have the potential to get an A :smile: and you know you can...
Some people will just never do well in D1, I know people who get like over 90 UMS but end up with Es in D1 ! Also I got 50 UMS in January :tongue:

Thats like me, I can just never do well in it. Im confident this time though. I did the exam in january too and I got worse than you. :redface: I guess youre an A2 student too?
Original post by Nitrogen
Thats like me, I can just never do well in it. Im confident this time though. I did the exam in january too and I got worse than you. :redface: I guess youre an A2 student too?

Yup, it's our last chance brother... good luck !! :smile:

I am so stressed over this 1 exam, yet I have 3 next week which I haven't prepared for and 8 next month. Including 3 Chemistry exams, oh how will I cope :redface:

I am so stressed over this 1 exam, yet I have 3 next week which I haven't prepared for and 8 next month. Including 3 Chemistry exams, oh how will I cope :redface:

That sucks but don't worry I'm pretty sure everything will go well if you keep a clear mind and not worry about it then I can guarantee it will and even if it doesn't go well It's only a stepping stone if life.

Feelin' you both on this one. A2 student, done 8 resits, need 3As for sheffield, can't do C3 or C4 for ****. :confused:
Guys..... stupid questions due to nerves kicking in :

So the numbering for my nodes in activity networks does not matter... right?

Should I be worried if my scheduling diagrams look nothing at all like the ones in the mark scheme? (the main thing that matters is the number of rows/workers... right?) :smile:

In Linear programming you don't always have to use integers but it's unlikely they would ever give you numbers which kind of look irrational, I hope you know what I mean :smile: : 5.242421

I should give at least 3 suggested routes for my post man to take in order to get my full marks in route inspection questions ? :smile:

As far as I know (don't take these responses as gospel, I stand to be corrected!):

1. no they don't
2. correct
3. not sure what you mean, but with anything 3sf will do?
4. I've never heard of doing this, i only ever give one?
Original post by Dilzo999
That sucks but don't worry I'm pretty sure everything will go well if you keep a clear mind and not worry about it then I can guarantee it will and even if it doesn't go well It's only a stepping stone if life.

Original post by dannywhite
Feelin' you both on this one. A2 student, done 8 resits, need 3As for sheffield, can't do C3 or C4 for ****. :confused:

Thanks for the support! & it is nice to relate also :smile:

Let's put in the hard work now.... tomorrow we shall dine in hell !
Original post by dannywhite
As far as I know (don't take these responses as gospel, I stand to be corrected!):

1. no they don't
2. correct
3. not sure what you mean, but with anything 3sf will do?
4. I've never heard of doing this, i only ever give one?

I do this when I'm panicking :biggrin: Thank you for replying...

I guess the third question was kind of inappropriate

But I was told today you do get marks, and I looked in the mark scheme and there are A1 marks for suggesting other routes :smile: so make sure you put down at least 1 more ! It is an algorithm after all so they expect you to go through a certain procedure.
Reply 790
I do this when I'm panicking :biggrin: Thank you for replying...

I guess the third question was kind of inappropriate

But I was told today you do get marks, and I looked in the mark scheme and there are A1 marks for suggesting other routes :smile: so make sure you put down at least 1 more ! It is an algorithm after all so they expect you to go through a certain procedure.

i write down all the routes, you do get marks for writing them down. If the odd vertices are lets say A,B,C,D
i would write the shortest routes for
AB + CD
AC + BD
AD + BC
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dizzie31
i write down all the routes, you do get marks for writing them down.

Thanks for confirming this ! I only just found this out today :tongue: Thank god ! And apparently you also get marked for the working values in Dijkstra. Every mark counts :smile:

Good luck!

I thought I had a lot of exams. Good luck! What grades do you need?
Reply 793
Thanks for confirming this ! I only just found this out today :tongue: Thank god ! And apparently you also get marked for the working values in Dijkstra. Every mark counts :smile:

Good luck!

Just write literally EVERYTHING you do in the damn exam.
Ace it.
Original post by Nitrogen
I thought I had a lot of exams. Good luck! What grades do you need?

same to you :smile: AAB for Computer Science at King's College London, yourself ?

Original post by Dizzie31
Just write literally EVERYTHING you do in the damn exam.
Ace it.

aha yh that would be my best bet ! :tongue: Thanks
same to you :smile: AAB for Computer Science at King's College London, yourself ?

aha yh that would be my best bet ! :tongue: Thanks

AAB for Chemical Engineering at University College London :tongue:
Reply 796
good luck for tomorrow lads! <3 :smile:
All the best guys ! :smile:
Good luck for tomorrow guys!
I am confused at how you are supposed to format a trace table for a flow chart.

For example, in January D1 (2010), Q5(a)

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/GCE%20January%202010%20-%20QP/6689_01_que_20100115.pdf

I filled the table out like this:

The mark scheme is filled out like this:

I looked at the text book and in the example in the book it puts each instruction (or box of instructions) on it's own new line. The mark scheme doesn't follow the format of the book's example so I'm not sure how to format it at all.

The mark-scheme seems to fill out the whole first row of the table until a new row is required, and then every new instruction after this goes on a new line. But I don't know if that's why it is set out like this.

Can anyone clarify how to fill out the table?

It is out for 5 marks and it looks like my answer would only get 1 mark. :l

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending