The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Im stuck on this c4 question normlyy i just find t and then sub in but for this one im stuck can anyone help plss1368720360422.jpg i cant do it:frown:
Reply 921
Original post by annaridgway95
1 - 2sin^2x but I don't understand where that fits in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

cos(x)2sin2(x)cos(x)sin(x)\dfrac{\cos(x) - 2\sin^2(x)\cos(x)}{\sin(x)}
Now you need to work in a 12sin2(x) 1 - 2\sin^2(x)
Can you see how?
Original post by joostan
cos(x)2sin2(x)cos(x)sin(x)\dfrac{\cos(x) - 2\sin^2(x)\cos(x)}{\sin(x)}
Now you need to work in a 12sin2(x) 1 - 2\sin^2(x)
Can you see how?

Yeah I get it now, I'm being stupid! Hahaha.
Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 923
Original post by annaridgway95
Yeah I get it now, I'm being stupid! Hahaha.
Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem :smile:
Reply 924
Original post by Revisionbug
Im stuck on this c4 question normlyy i just find t and then sub in but for this one im stuck can anyone help plss1368720360422.jpg i cant do it:frown:

Add x and y then substitute in :smile:
Negging me is somewhat unnecessary, no?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 925
Hi! I found something called the "common mistake "section in the c2 maths CD , there's one part that i dont understand

Whats meant by "not actually a mistake"?

I didnt know how to tackle this question ( to use the integration and equation L )

Can someone explain? Thanks loads!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 926
Original post by Revisionbug

x=(t+2t) x=(t+\frac{2}{t})
y=(t2t)y=(t-\frac{2}{t})
x2=(t+2t)2=t2+4+4t2 x^2=(t+\frac{2}{t})^2=t^2+4+ \frac{4}{t^2}
y2=(t2t)2=t24+4t2y^2=(t-\frac{2}{t})^2=t^2-4+\frac{4}{t^2}
x2y2=8 x^2 - y^2 = 8
(edited 10 years ago)
GAAH nevermind! Blonde moment there! sorry for wasting your time, people!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ScarlettFierce
GAAH nevermind! Blonde moment there! sorry for wasting your time, people!

i) P(X=5)=(115)(34)5(134)6\mathbb{P} (X = 5) = \displaystyle\binom{11}{5} \left(\dfrac{3}{4} \right)^{5} \left(1-\dfrac{3}{4} \right)^{6}

ii) P(X=0)=(110)(p)0(1p)11=0.05\mathbb{P} (X = 0) = \displaystyle\binom{11}{0} \left(p \right)^{0} \left(1-p \right)^{11} = 0.05

Var(X) for a binomial distribution = np(1-p)
2 weird but urgent questions but how do you know when to solve a quadratic equation using two brackets - also in a log table - is x at the top row or is it the other way round ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by krishkmistry
2 weird but urgent questions but how do you know when to solve a quadratic equation using two brackets - also in a log table - is x at the top row or is it the other way round ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the first one, if you are able to factorise it, then factorise it. But not all quadratics will be able to be solved that way. I'm not sure what you mean by the next part.
Original post by brittanna
For the first one, if you are able to factorise it, then factorise it. But not all quadratics will be able to be solved that way. I'm not sure what you mean by the next part.

Basically I'm asking how many terms do you need to solve quadratically - via brackets of qp - I'm also asking that when you get a table on a logs graph q - is the top row the x value or the y value when plotting it on a graph ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by krishkmistry
Basically I'm asking how many terms do you need to solve quadratically - via brackets of qp - I'm also asking that when you get a table on a logs graph q - is the top row the x value or the y value when plotting it on a graph ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you have something like x2+5x+4=0x^2+5x+4=0, you can write this as (x+4)(x+1)=0(x+4)(x+1)=0 \Rightarrow x=4,x=1x=-4, x=-1. However, if you have something like x2+2x+2=0x^2+2x+2=0, you would need to solve this by completing the square or by substituting into the quadratic formula. Only quadratics with at least two terms can be factorised.

Does it not tell you in the table which row is which?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MathsNerd1

Following on from my suggestion,, have you tried any STEP DE's/Induction? If so, how have you found it?
Original post by DJMayes
Following on from my suggestion,, have you tried any STEP DE's/Induction? If so, how have you found it?

I'm going to be honest with you and say I haven't yet as I've been practising on my Maths and Chemistry for the mocks I have but I'm devoting 3 hours tomorrow to STEP either for a mock or some questions and I'll make sure that I'll do one of those topics and let you know how I found them.
How do you work out normal distribution with quartiles?
Reply 936
Quick question:

Given

x=15(2sintcost+e2t)x=\frac{1}{5}(2sint-cost+e^{-2t})

show that x varies between

155-\frac{1}{5}\sqrt 5 and 155\frac{1}{5}\sqrt 5 for large positive values of t

I understand that the term involving e will tend to 0, and I understand what they have done to obtain the answer

Spoiler

Why do you do this? Apologise for the vague question, I just can't wrap my head around it.
(edited 10 years ago)
I've suddenly started getting email updates whenever someone posts on this thread, any idea how to stop it?
Original post by NJam
Quick question:

Given

x=15(2sintcost+e2t)x=\frac{1}{5}(2sint-cost+e^{-2t})

show that x varies between

155-\frac{1}{5}\sqrt 5 and 155\frac{1}{5}\sqrt 5 for large positive values of t

I understand that the term involving e will tend to 0, and I understand what they have done to obtain the answer

Spoiler

Why do you do this? Apologise for the vague question, I just can't wrap my head around it.

This in an idea called the harmonic functions. Essentially, we can express the sum of any sine and cosine as a single trig function:

asinx+bcosx=Rsin(x+c) asinx+bcosx = Rsin(x+c)

In order to do this, expand the RHS:

asinx+bcosx=Rsinxcosc+Rcosxsinc asinx+bcosx = Rsinxcosc+Rcosxsinc

Knowing your values of a and b, you can then solve for values of R and c in order to express it as a single function:

Rcosc=a Rcosc = a Rsinc=b Rsinc = b

You can then use a bit of re-arrangement to find a and b:

R2(cos2c+sin2c)=a2+b2 R^2(cos^2c+sin^2c) = a^2 + b^2

So R=a2+b2 R = \sqrt{a^2+b^2}

And you can work out C by dividing the two equations to get something involving tan only. This is how they've got the root 5; by expressing the function as a single trigonometric function.
Reply 939
Original post by DJMayes
This in an idea called the harmonic functions. Essentially, we can express the sum of any sine and cosine as a single trig function:

asinx+bcosx=Rsin(x+c) asinx+bcosx = Rsin(x+c)

In order to do this, expand the RHS:

asinx+bcosx=Rsinxcosc+Rcosxsinc asinx+bcosx = Rsinxcosc+Rcosxsinc

Knowing your values of a and b, you can then solve for values of R and c in order to express it as a single function:

Rcosc=a Rcosc = a Rsinc=b Rsinc = b

You can then use a bit of re-arrangement to find a and b:

R2(cos2c+sin2c)=a2+b2 R^2(cos^2c+sin^2c) = a^2 + b^2

So R=a2+b2 R = \sqrt{a^2+b^2}

And you can work out C by dividing the two equations to get something involving tan only. This is how they've got the root 5; by expressing the function as a single trigonometric function.

Fantastic, exactly what I needed! +rep :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending