The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4280
Huh? I can't even remember posting that :lol:
Original post by Mr Longbottom
how many years now??? 8 years and counting. OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH ROBIN VAN PERSIE.

You must be new. I remember when I was like this.
Original post by cheetahs56
Not really tbh, our game is meaningless (in terms of the season) and only sentimental to us United fans, whereas everybody wants to see the twists and turn of the final day and who will get CL football. I understand their decision, but yeah I agree with you that it's annoying for us united fans.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does everybody wants to see that? It's only fourth place, odds are most neutrals wont actually watch whichever one gets through in the Champions League and neither stand any chance whatsoever of being in that competition at the end next season.

United draw the most viewers in England on television. Partially because we have the largest fanbase but also because the majority of neutrals hate United and tune in hoping to see us lose. Fergie's last game would draw far more viewers than something that doesn't really have any impact on most football fans.
On another note, is anybody actually going to the "Red Heart United" event with United legends vs Madrid legends? They've advertised a few top names from the past, and JLS and a few other artists performing live before the game and the ticket sales are abysmal. I know literally nobody out of all the people that go United that are bothering with it, and the club are still marketing it hard to no avail.

It's a shame for the Foundation but it looks like this one is gonna be a major dud. :frown:
Original post by IanDangerously
On another note, is anybody actually going to the "Red Heart United" event with United legends vs Madrid legends? They've advertised a few top names from the past, and JLS and a few other artists performing live before the game and the ticket sales are abysmal. I know literally nobody out of all the people that go United that are bothering with it, and the club are still marketing it hard to no avail.

It's a shame for the Foundation but it looks like this one is gonna be a major dud. :frown:

Wasn't planning to, but my mate (who isn't a United fan) wanted to go so I said I'll go with him. How many tickets are sold, 25,000? Think the prices may be a bit steep for adults.
Does everybody wants to see that? It's only fourth place, odds are most neutrals wont actually watch whichever one gets through in the Champions League and neither stand any chance whatsoever of being in that competition at the end next season.

United draw the most viewers in England on television. Partially because we have the largest fanbase but also because the majority of neutrals hate United and tune in hoping to see us lose. Fergie's last game would draw far more viewers than something that doesn't really have any impact on most football fans.

True, tbf i'm not watching anyway as it's bang it middle of exams, if it's that much of an issue just stream it:tongue:
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Wasn't planning to, but my mate (who isn't a United fan) wanted to go so I said I'll go with him. How many tickets are sold, 25,000? Think the prices may be a bit steep for adults.

I think about 30,000 so far, about half the tickets available. Cant see it doing much more than that.

The prices are the thing putting me off, going to a few events in June already and the majority of remaining seats being £40 is a major turn off when I could go to a Premier League match for £29. Seen most of the players involved in it play before at OT anyway. I'll do my bit for charity by going to the Community Shield instead.

Hope its a good day for all those going and for the MU Foundation. Plus you get to listen to JLS before the game. :wink:

Original post by cheetahs56
True, tbf i'm not watching anyway as it's bang it middle of exams, if it's that much of an issue just stream it:tongue:

I might just go to Birmingham and join in the party in a pub somewhere with a dodgy foreign sattelite box, hundreds of people without tickets are going just for the sake of being there on Fergie's last day.

Of course its possible we'll all get in the ground anyway :cool:
I think about 30,000 so far, about half the tickets available. Cant see it doing much more than that.

The prices are the thing putting me off, going to a few events in June already and the majority of remaining seats being £40 is a major turn off when I could go to a Premier League match for £29. Seen most of the players involved in it play before at OT anyway. I'll do my bit for charity by going to the Community Shield instead.

Hope its a good day for all those going and for the MU Foundation. Plus you get to listen to JLS before the game. :wink:

They were the thing putting me off! Wonder how the Community Shield tickets will sell with it being against Wigan, but also Moysie's first competitive game.
Going to Berlin for the weekend with two housemates. Going to miss Fergie's last day in charge. Almost glad it isn't at OT so at least I've seen that.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
They were the thing putting me off! Wonder how the Community Shield tickets will sell with it being against Wigan, but also Moysie's first competitive game.

Haha there's a schedule for it up on .com and the JLS concert finishes around 2pm. Game doesn't kick off until 3 so you can miss them altogether if you wish ... nobody would blame you! :tongue:

Community Shield will sell out as usual I reckon but it's usually not in high demand either. Maybe the fact its Moyes' first game will increase it a little bit, but anyone that wants to go (as long as they have a membership and apply) should be OK.

I might just go to Birmingham and join in the party in a pub somewhere with a dodgy foreign sattelite box, hundreds of people without tickets are going just for the sake of being there on Fergie's last day.

Of course its possible we'll all get in the ground anyway :cool:

Haha, surprised you couldn't get tickets as you go to a lot of games. I don't have even have time tbh. Are you working or still a student? Exam season has to come at the end of the season:tongue:

And anyone feel free to see some butt-hurt Arsenal fans on Arsenal thread, me and Jam ****** them off to say the least....
One of our previous number 7's, David Beckham, announced his retirement today.

What's your favourite Beckham moment at United?

One that really sticks out in my mind is the free-kick he scored against Barca in the group stage of the 98-99 CL at home. It was a great free-kick, as they always are with Becks, and the celebration with the jolt to the dug-out and roll around and he sits up to soak the adulation. It was an entertaining battle and I remember the white shirts we wore, even though we were at home!
Original post by Aky786UK

Hmmm...hearing about his goal against Wimbledon from a stranger shouting to his mate which on a Minorcan beach, that'll probably stay with me for some time.

But either the FK against Leicester in injury time (as it was the first game of treble winning season - months after his WC sending off) or his winning goal in the Cup SF against Chelsea in the second double winning season.

The Chelsea goal was nothing special, though Burley's back pass/assist was awesome, but I just have fond memories of an interview he gave later (young, fresh faced Beckham saying "I just 'it it"). He also supplied the cross that led to the first, and hit the post earlier. It's probably the game that started to get him the national attention.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4293
I was surprised to see Beckham was playing for us in the 90's probably because I only noticed him after the Greece match plus I was a young lad back then

He's done very well I regularly talk about him with my family he's not the brightest man but he truly has marketed brand Beckham very well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4294
My favourite Beckham moment was him saying grassy arse to the Spanish press

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4295
My Beckham moment that sticks out is a weird one. Remember watching a game against Arsenal as a kid in a pub, he had a shot and saw it was hitting the post and moved to react to get it, while the rest of the penalty box stood still. Don't think a goal even came from it. Wasn't anything major but the contrast between his alertness and everyone else was remarkable. As much as his technical skill and his work rate, Beckham was a very intelligent player, and I think he's actually underrated by a lot of us.
Original post by Aky786UK

One that really sticks out in my mind is the free-kick he scored against Barca in the group stage of the 98-99 CL at home. It was a great free-kick, as they always are with Becks, and the celebration with the jolt to the dug-out and roll around and he sits up to soak the adulation. It was an entertaining battle and I remember the white shirts we wore, even though we were at home!

[video="youtube;Dri6LVJ0E4A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dri6LVJ0E4A[/video]

Probably the most talked about goal when I was young'un
I love david beckham, such an underrated player. His brand name overshadows his football talent I feel. His passes were just amazing.

I know this is not united. But at real madrid he did a 40 yard early cross to ronaldo who beat the offside trap and I think headed it or volleyed it home, possibly the most perfect route 1 goal I've seen.
(edited 10 years ago)
David Johnson has said Ronaldos going to Chelsea, said Ronaldo said it himself, and put a bet on it.

Latest