The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS English Literature - 17/5/13 exam help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kara91783
You're welcome it's no problem since I need to revise over all this.

I don't think this is the best way to do it but we were taught to introduce the question with Pride and Prejudice and then link The Yellow Wallpaper into it by stating the way the common theme is presented in both novels. For example 'In Pride and Prejudice Jane Austen presents marriage as... Using (state some narrative techniques like epistolary devices, dialogue, free indirect style...). Charlotte Perkins Gilman also explores the theme of marriage using... ' Then getting into the main body of the essay answer the question in relation to Pride and Prejudice. Make all your points to do with Pride and Prejudice and then establish your argument for The Yellow Wallpaper answering the question in relation to The Yellow Wallpaper. In the conclusion again just like in the introduction conclude both texts together linking them using the theme they have in common.
The reason this isn't the best way to do it is just in case you run out of time you need to have included both texts in your essay.

Ah I see! So when you're doing this essay would it be recommended that I concentrate more on the "proposition"/opinion or the part where it says "explore the way in which writers..." and so on?
Original post by kara91783
My poetry sections on work too. I wrote land in my other post by accident oops.

Oh Lol! I hope Iago Prytherch doesn't come up or Father... :/
Reply 22
Original post by xxnetanyaxx
Ah I see! So when you're doing this essay would it be recommended that I concentrate more on the "proposition"/opinion or the part where it says "explore the way in which writers..." and so on?

I would concentrate more on ' exploring the way in which writers...' but definitely keep making sure what you're saying is relevant to the 'proposition/opinion' by continually referring back to the question.
Reply 23
is anyone doing Victorian literature for section A tomorrow? or have done in the past??
Original post by xxnetanyaxx

I usually just focus on the methods, but in my intro and conclusion,i mention the proposition. For instance the question might say, "Pride and Prej is only important because of the marriages", i would mention that the other than marriage, it is the development of the characters which maintains readers interest etc. ANd the rest of the essay would be the methods in which the marriages are portrayed etc...
Original post by os20
is anyone doing Victorian literature for section A tomorrow? or have done in the past??

Is section A not the Unseen Poetry or Prose?
Reply 26
Im doing Turn of the Screw and Edward Thomas.

So far Im cramming quotes and grabbing critcs from places - I should probably have prepared all this a week ago :rolleyes:
Original post by Herucles
Im doing Turn of the Screw and Edward Thomas.

So far Im cramming quotes and grabbing critcs from places - I should probably have prepared all this a week ago :rolleyes:

I do Pride and Prej, but we need critics?! :s-smilie:
Reply 28
please can someone tell me what raw mark i need to get an A with 100% in coursework please!
Original post by lululemons
please can someone tell me what raw mark i need to get an A with 100% in coursework please!

I would aim for mid 70s or 80 out 0f 100. In Jan exams you need around 72 to get an A but in June, you need about 78-79...

Hope that helps, and good luck, let's just hope and pray for a good paper :smile:
Reply 30
Good luck all! See you on the other side :biggrin:
Reply 31
How did everyone find it? My teacher was so angry at the section C question for Brighton Rock he is going to complain to the exam board! I thought the unseen was straight forward but didn't like the essay questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same!! What did essays did people write for wuthering heights? I though they were okay? How about you?
Original post by jess2703
How did everyone find it? My teacher was so angry at the section C question for Brighton Rock he is going to complain to the exam board! I thought the unseen was straight forward but didn't like the essay questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
serious? i did brighton rock and A clockwork orange and i rather liked the question about "bleakness". I basically just talked about why the book was crappy and conveyed futility. What did you guys think about the Land poetry question? It was kinda meh :/
Reply 34
Original post by hermajestyjo
serious? i did brighton rock and A clockwork orange and i rather liked the question about "bleakness". I basically just talked about why the book was crappy and conveyed futility. What did you guys think about the Land poetry question? It was kinda meh :/

i didnt like the poetry question :frown: im so worried now.. hopefully i can retake this exam next year in the summer.. is that possible?
Reply 35
Original post by Pocketsofdoom
Same!! What did essays did people write for wuthering heights? I though they were okay? How about you?

I done the first question about the character's choices. The other option completely threw me! Argh
Yes same, i thought it was a good question. But very broad! Did u talk about how bronte explores how the characters make their choices ie the destructive nature of love and the society versus the individual?
I thought that the exam was OK... I mean I did Work poetry, and everyone in my school hated the poetry, but we all agreed that the Pride and Prej questions were pretty good.. But in the Pride and Prej essay, I forgot to mention my second text in the introduction!!! :frown:
Original post by priya8D
I done the first question about the character's choices. The other option completely threw me! Argh

Yes same, i thought it was a good question. But very broad! Did u talk about how bronte explores how the characters make their choices ie the destructive nature of love and the society versus the individual?
Original post by Hannah196
i didnt like the poetry question :frown: im so worried now.. hopefully i can retake this exam next year in the summer.. is that possible?

What poetry section do you do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending