The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter Uni - Full of posh people?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ed-
I'm sorry but I think this is ridiculous. People moan that there aren't enough opportunities for social mobility and then squander the opportunities that they are given because they feel they think don't fit in?

I get the comparison you make to someone from Shrewsbury or Teddies (etc.) ending up at BCU or Bolton (etc.) in that it's also a culture shock but I think that's as far as similarities go. Someone from a deprived comprehensive who ends up at a Russell group has an amazing opportunity to better themselves. Not just academically, but they can also climb the social ladder and make useful contacts for after graduation. The person at the bottom 10 university doesn't have these opportunities so I think the comparison is unfair.

It does come down to a chip on the shoulder when a person doesn't seize these opportunities because they don't feel good enough. What else is it? Although it's probably not their own fault that they have it; it is their own fault if they don't get rid of it and put aside their inferiority complex for the sake of improving their future prospects!

edit; Also, do you not think that this is quite offensive?

If someone said they didn't want to go to a uni because it was overrun with paupers and plebs they'd be absolutely hammered.

I think I agree with just about everything you say, with the exception of your insistence upon describing this as a 'chip on the shoulder'. I think that's very unfair when it comes to prospective students, not even 18 years old yet, who in some cases may be just about the only person in their life who thinks they should go to university.

As for the thing you quoted, yes it is quite offensive. It's one thing to be concerned about fitting in, being able to afford to 'keep up socially', etc. It's quite another to start using language like 'overrun with' and epithets like 'sloanes'. I think it's often hard to know who's asking these questions and using this kind of language. Genuinely hard-up people from deprived areas? Or middle class applicants who like to imagine themselves further down the ladder than they actually are?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 21
Now apparently its the upped class who are getting discriminated against :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by Espley123
Ive heard from a few different places that exeter uni is overrun with/has lots of posh people (sloanes or whatever you wanna call them) although some of those reviews were quite dated (2001)

Im considering accepting them as my firm choice for this september, so it would be helpful if a current/recent student of exeter uni could help me out

Cheers :smile: x

How's that a relevant criterion for choosing them as a firm? It seems like it should raise its entry standards though (based on this thread's OP).

:u:
Reply 23
Original post by Espley123
Ive heard from a few different places that exeter uni is overrun with/has lots of posh people (sloanes or whatever you wanna call them) although some of those reviews were quite dated (2001)

Im considering accepting them as my firm choice for this september, so it would be helpful if a current/recent student of exeter uni could help me out

Cheers :smile: x

Another thing; why is it that you think inverted snobbery is socially acceptable? Or, at least, more acceptable than snobbery? If I were to create a thread titled 'Exeter Uni- Full of chavs?' I'd receive a barrage of negs, no doubt.

:angry::confused:
Reply 24
Who cares?
Reply 25
Original post by Iron Lady
Who cares?

Insecure people with a chip on their shoulder.

:biggrin:
Reply 26
Original post by Charlatan?
Insecure people with a chip on their shoulder.

:biggrin:

The funny thing is, I would be willing to bet quite a few people on TSR are from "comfortable" backgrounds, though they have a harsh and petty hatred against "rahs" (a stereotype they're obsessed with). They preach how everyone should accept each other, but make threads bashing them. So yeah, you're 100% it's chips on their shoulders and inverted snobbery. :smile:
State school, state college, low enough family wage to qualify for exeters access bursary. Love it at exeter, my friends are about 50/50 private/state school, its a nice mix. I don't really see how it matters tbh, no ones judged me for going to a crappy state comp so why would I judge people because their parents chose to send them private?
Reply 28
Original post by Serentonin
State school, state college, low enough family wage to qualify for exeters access bursary. Love it at exeter, my friends are about 50/50 private/state school, its a nice mix. I don't really see how it matters tbh, no ones judged me for going to a crappy state comp so why would I judge people because their parents chose to send them private?

Yh that's true I'm going Exeter and on the offer visit day a lot of the people I met were from fairly deprived areas in London such as Enfield so I think there will be a fair proportion of working class students. Having said that I did meet some rich prospective students who u would rather stay clear of

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by yg95
Yh that's true I'm going Exeter and on the offer visit day a lot of the people I met were from fairly deprived areas in London such as Enfield so I think there will be a fair proportion of working class students. Having said that I did meet some rich prospective students who u would rather stay clear of

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd rather stay clear of you...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by ed-
I'd rather stay clear of you...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd be happy to stay away from you mate you seem to be a sad person

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by Serentonin

How long have you been there? your first sentence sums me up too haha + also where you from?
Original post by SagarG
How long have you been there? your first sentence sums me up too haha + also where you from?

Me too! Hello busary! :biggrin:
Reply 33
Original post by Bodger & Badger
Me too! Hello busary! :biggrin:

haha i know right... Really happy they're helping people like us out, thats an extra 2.5K a year !

.... did i mention on top of student finance bursaries? :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
It would be inaccurate to say that it is 'overrun', but it certainly has a higher number of privately educated students than most other universities. Exeter is popular with private schools (for many reasons) and will therefore seem to be more 'posher' than other universities like Manchester where the number is relatively low. For 2011-2012 entry the proportion of privately educated admitted to Exeter was 32.6%. However, this is nothing compared to the likes of Oxbridge, Durham and Bristol who are around the 40%+ mark.

See the statistics: http://www.palatinate.org.uk/?p=38263
Original post by SagarG

One more exam and I've finished my first year :smile: I moved to north devon for college, then exeter for uni.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by yg95
I'd be happy to stay away from you mate you seem to be a sad person

Posted from TSR Mobile

Coming from the person who has such a chip on his shoulder he has something against all rich people.
Not even bothering with the 'anti snobbery' pretence...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SagarG
haha i know right... Really happy they're helping people like us out, thats an extra 2.5K a year !

.... did i mention on top of student finance bursaries? :wink:

That would be the loan and grant yes? approx £7k for moi. Thankyou please!!:cool:
Reply 38
Original post by Bodger & Badger
That would be the loan and grant yes? approx £7k for moi. Thankyou please!!:cool:

haha yeah! i'm entitled to an excess scholar where i can get an extra 1K in cash, if i suceed my offer and get 3A's

8/9k for me ! :wink: (if i get 3a's ofcourse....)
Original post by SagarG
haha yeah! i'm entitled to an excess scholar where i can get an extra 1K in cash, if i suceed my offer and get 3A's

8/9k for me ! :wink: (if i get 3a's ofcourse....)

Same!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending