The Student Room Group

AQA Physics Unit 1 PHYA1 20th May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by x-Sophie-x
I swear there are 8 markers...right?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes! there could be one 8marker. Look at question 5(b). http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA1-W-QP-JAN10.PDF
Reply 121
Original post by StalkeR47
Yes! there could be one 8marker. Look at question 5(b). http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA1-W-QP-JAN10.PDF

Thats not an 8 marker! its a 6 marker with a diagram worth 2 marks!
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Could you tell me why you do that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey Jimmy! Do not worry! I will tell you how to tackle this sort of question (3 marks). Even I was stuck on this question when I read your post. Here we go------ So you have time base 1.5ms right? You have been asked to calculate the frequency for the ac given. Your first step is to calculate the number on blocks for 1 wavelength. I think it is about 6.8 blocks. Agree? Now, time this by the time base given. you get---- 6.8 times (1.5 x 10^-3) = 0.0102. (The reason why it is 1.5 x 10^-3 is because it is 1.5ms (milliseconds) so convert 1.5ms to s). so our period id 0.0102. since f=1/t, you have f=1/0.0102 = 98HZ. (NOTE: The mark scheme allows +-3Hz, so answer between 97Hz to 103Hz is acceptable). Hope you understood this clearly! Any more questions? Let me know! Jimmy, have a look through this website also! http://physicsnet.co.uk/a-level-physics-as-a2/current-electricity/oscilloscopes/
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey Jimmy! Do not worry! I will tell you how to tackle this sort of question (3 marks). Even I was stuck on this question when I read your post. Here we go------ So you have time base 1.5ms right? You have been asked to calculate the frequency for the ac given. Your first step is to calculate the number on blocks for 1 wavelength. I think it is about 6.8 blocks. Agree? Now, time this by the time base given. you get---- 6.8 times (1.5 x 10^-3) = 0.0102. (The reason why it is 1.5 x 10^-3 is because it is 1.5ms (milliseconds) so convert 1.5ms to s). so our period id 0.0102. since f=1/t, you have f=1/0.0102 = 98HZ. (NOTE: The mark scheme allows +-3Hz, so answer between 97Hz to 103Hz is acceptable). Hope you understood this clearly! Any more questions? Let me know! Jimmy, have a look through this website also! http://physicsnet.co.uk/a-level-physics-as-a2/current-electricity/oscilloscopes/

Thanks soo much for that :biggrin: the other way to do it would be to find out how many blocks there are for the whole 1.5 waveform and times this by the time base then you would divide by 1.5 to find out time period of 1 wave as there are 1.5 cycles. Am i right? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's a semi-conductive component? It's not a diode is it?

I dont think LEDs will come up because the ISA was based on that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah like a diode, actually I think it was a metallic conductor, it was something. And an LDR is different to an LED so it could come up :smile: And yeah mechanics helps A LOT but mechanics in maths is A LOT harder and different to physics mechanics
Original post by BayHarborButcher
Yeah like a diode, actually I think it was a metallic conductor, it was something. And an LDR is different to an LED so it could come up :smile: And yeah mechanics helps A LOT but mechanics in maths is A LOT harder and different to physics mechanics

Ah right.

Ah yeah I know that haha. Was just making the comment because I think someone said something about LEDs.

Yeah, I've seen the mechanics the further maths set at our school does...all these equations, seems crazy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks soo much for that :biggrin: the other way to do it would be to find out how many blocks there are for the whole 1.5 waveform and times this by the time base then you would divide by 1.5 to find out time period of 1 wave as there are 1.5 cycles. Am i right? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

YES, Your are absolutely correct! But remember (10x1.5/1.5=10ms) to convert 10ms into s which is 0.010. so, 1/0.010 is 100 Hz. However, I prefer my method as I find it much easier that that lol! Good luck for the exam:smile::u:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you should do it the 1.5 way as youd get a much more accurate answer, and some makschemes require you to be really precise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Goods
Thats not an 8 marker! its a 6 marker with a diagram worth 2 marks!

This is a 1 single question that requires a diagram within. So it is 8 marker!:angry:
I think you should do it the 1.5 way as youd get a much more accurate answer, and some makschemes require you to be really precise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are right! But I think my method is easier. :biggrin:
I am currently revising unit 1 physics. What is everyone else's doing?
I am currently revising unit 1 physics. What is everyone else's doing?

Maths for the core 2 exam tomorrow :s-smilie: so scared, I don't feel prepared.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths for the core 2 exam tomorrow :s-smilie: so scared, I don't feel prepared.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I did my core 1 and core 2 AQA on 13th of may. Found it really easy however, there were some question which I could not do. But I will definitely get an A if I smash my mechanics exam on 24th of may also. Good luck to you for tomorrow :wink:. Hope you smash core 2 onto the examiners face:eek:.
Hey, I did my core 1 and core 2 AQA on 13th of may. Found it really easy however, there were some question which I could not do. But I will definitely get an A if I smash my mechanics exam on 24th of may also. Good luck to you for tomorrow :wink:. Hope you smash core 2 onto the examiners face:eek:.

Ah right, I'm with OCR MEI, and did core 1 back in January.

Thank you! xD and best of luck with the upcoming exams too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah right.

Ah yeah I know that haha. Was just making the comment because I think someone said something about LEDs.

Yeah, I've seen the mechanics the further maths set at our school does...all these equations, seems crazy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, there is no formula sheet in mechanics aha. Some of it is hard though, in our exam we had a realllllly touch question worth 14 marks on moments! Physics makes it look piss haha, but there is a lot of different stuff in physics too.
Original post by BayHarborButcher
Yeah, there is no formula sheet in mechanics aha. Some of it is hard though, in our exam we had a realllllly touch question worth 14 marks on moments! Physics makes it look piss haha, but there is a lot of different stuff in physics too.

Isn't there? My friends have one for M1..

I can imagine! Enjoy! xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Isn't there? My friends have one for M1..

I can imagine! Enjoy! xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

We're with edexcel, no formula sheet. But tbf if you needed a formula sheet then you probably hadn't been revising enough, we do have one for C1 and C2 but I just know it all from practice... You can never enjoy mechanics! :angry:
I'm so worried for this exam! I've struggled all year with physics and its literally around the corner! Ugh!

Posted from TSR Mobile
With a filament lamp, if you decrease the voltage, looking at an IV graph the current would increase as the lamp is less hotter and there is less resistance, so would the power be greater than expected? Someone clarify this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 139
With a filament lamp, if you decrease the voltage, looking at an IV graph the current would increase as the lamp is less hotter and there is less resistance, so would the power be greater than expected? Someone clarify this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

the current would decrease. however as you said the resistance would also decrease and so the power would be greater than expected for lower currents and voltages as the resistance is lower

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending