The Student Room Group

Feasibility of learning a new language alongside my degree?

Hi all,

I have an offer to read PPE at Oxford for October 2013 entry. I am not much of a linguist, but have always been interested in learning a second language, so was just wondering how realistic it would be to learn a language alongside my course?

I know Oxford definitely offers its students this opportunity, but I'm not really sure what my average working hours will be, and whether I'll have any additional time to learn a language from scratch.

Has anyone successfully managed this? Or does anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers
Reply 1
Its definitely possible for most people. The workload is as heavy as you make it for yourself, within reason. Your current tendency to revise long/short hours is probably a good predictor of how busy you will be at Ox. Average workload is probably around the 35-40 hour per week mark, based on surveys, so plenty of time for extracurriculars for most people.
Reply 2
Cheers mate. I appreciate that its a pretty subjective question, and personally, I've never been one to give myself more work than I've needed to. At school I always found the 'recommended workloads' were grossly exaggerated, but I suspect it may be different at Oxford.

Nevertheless, even if I am working 40 hours a week, I guess it would still be possible to try and learn a language around this, just depends how bad I want it I guess.
Reply 3
Totally feasible. Just make it one of your top non-work priorities. There are loads of resoures available at Oxford for learning another language as well.
I definitely don't work 40 hours per week :tongue: If you manage your time well it will definitely be feasible - you'll just need staying power.
Reply 5
I do PPE and I've done an OPAL language course which is the 'serious option' of the two language courses. Even so it doesn't take up much of my time, you could definitely do it, and if you want to get more out of it just spend more than a few hours a week preparing for each session. You'll definitely have time to do lots of different things alongisde your degree.
Reply 6
Original post by Adotdems
I know Oxford definitely offers its students this opportunity...

Out of interest, what exactly are you referring to when you say this? Is there an official university language-learning scheme (as in, do they provide facilities and education), or are you talking about learning a language in your own time outside of the university? Not too sure whether I've made it clear what I mean here...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Hi all,

I have an offer to read PPE at Oxford for October 2013 entry. I am not much of a linguist, but have always been interested in learning a second language, so was just wondering how realistic it would be to learn a language alongside my course?

I know Oxford definitely offers its students this opportunity, but I'm not really sure what my average working hours will be, and whether I'll have any additional time to learn a language from scratch.

Has anyone successfully managed this? Or does anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers

I know a guy doing Engineering who does an Arabic course at the Oxford Language Centre on the weekends. It looks like he manages it, but obviously you have to be organised with your time, which seems to fall apart at university. The only problem he has with it is that the class goes really slowly, even at the Intermediae or Advanced levels.

Out of interest, which language are you hoping to learn?
Original post by tjf8
Out of interest, what exactly are you referring to when you say this? Is there an official university language-learning scheme (as in, do they provide facilities and education), or are you talking about learning a language in your own time outside of the university? Not too sure whether I've made it clear what I mean here...

http://www.lang.ox.ac.uk/courses/ Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by la-dauphine

Thanks!
Reply 10
Of course. Even at oxbridge - an undergrad degree is generally less work than a full time job. People who don't have time to do stuff are generally just disorganized or unmotivated.

I have been learning a foreign language whilst doing my PhD and also working part time although I am cheating - I am learning my missus' mother tongue so I try and get her to speak to me in it. I am hardly fluent yet but am at least at a point where I can sort of chat to her mum without just resorting to telling her my name, where I live and that I would like 2kg of potatoes please.
Reply 11
Haha, very true, cheers everyone.

I plan on trying to learn Mandarin Chinese.
Original post by la-dauphine

Do you know anything about the difference between the two types of courses?

I'd seen these before, and would like to either take up French again or start Russian from scratch, and both languages are offered by both types of courses.
Reply 13
Original post by Cellar Door
Do you know anything about the difference between the two types of courses?

I'd seen these before, and would like to either take up French again or start Russian from scratch, and both languages are offered by both types of courses.

I believe the LASR courses are intended primarily for people who need listening/oral skills for research and study purposes (and you get priority if that's the reason you're doing it)

The OPAL courses are certificated, cost more (though most colleges cover at least part of the cost) and I believe are intended for those who want a fast-paced language course.
Original post by Poppyxx
I believe the LASR courses are intended primarily for people who need listening/oral skills for research and study purposes (and you get priority if that's the reason you're doing it)

The OPAL courses are certificated, cost more (though most colleges cover at least part of the cost) and I believe are intended for those who want a fast-paced language course.

Thanks :smile: The OPAL seems like it'd be the one for me then.
Reply 15
Do you have to pay for the OPAL courses? I remember on an open day a student told me Oxford covered the costs...
Reply 16
Do you have to pay for the OPAL courses? I remember on an open day a student told me Oxford covered the costs...

Depends on your college I believe.

I think most contribute to at least half the cost.

Mine paid as long as you passed.
Reply 17
Haha, very true, cheers everyone.

I plan on trying to learn Mandarin Chinese.

Do you know any languages other than English yourself? I'm fluent in Chinese and would certainly be willing to trade teaching with you (say, if you knew German or something, you could teach me German and I could teach you Chinese). I'm also an offer-holder.

Thanks :smile: The OPAL seems like it'd be the one for me then.

Ah, another reason for me to contact you! I've been thinking of doing the OPAL for some European language... I'll PM you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending