The Student Room Group

Higher Biology 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by 1234!
What did people write for the yeast question where it said why was there still gas given off at oxygen conc of 0 ???? I put because oxygen was still present which is very wrong I think the answer might be because The reaction was still proceeding??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anaerobic respiration produced carbon dioxide even without oxygen :smile:
Reply 361
Does anyone remember what question 25 of the multiple choice was? It's really bothering me :/
Original post by CSM1996
Anaerobic respiration produced carbon dioxide even without oxygen :smile:

I can't forgive myself for forgetting this... I'm so gutted.
Was it worth 1 or 2 marks?
Original post by Nessie162
I can't forgive myself for forgetting this... I'm so gutted.
Was it worth 1 or 2 marks?

It was in two parts, one was "name the gas produced" and the other was "after 240s(?), why is the gas still produced?". I think both were 1 mark.

I'm really annoyed I didn't get the second mark. I said CO2 but then dismissed it as being produced during anaerobic respiration because in mamals CO2 is not produced during anaerobic respiration - only lactic acid. Gah, it was one of those heat of the moment things. I knew they made an alcohol but didn't realise CO2 also was produced.
Original post by lovechemistry
See the phototropism what was the advantage? Also was IAA the answer to the last part of te question?

The plant grows to face the sunlight, increasing its ability to photosynthesise.
Original post by JackoGeddes
do you get penalised in the essays for writing loads of maybe valid points?

I think for the first essay on pigments and light dependant I wrote like 10 for the first, just anything I could think of. think this was generally it;

light energy needed for photolysis
pigments contain chlorophyll
found in grana of chloroplast
primary and secondary pigments - chlorophyll a primary, chlorophyll b secondary
primary absorb red/blue
secondary pigments used for absorbing wider range of wavelengths of light

light stage:

Occurs in grana of chloroplasts
photolysis splits water into hydrogen and oxygen
oxygen bi-product
hydrogen carried by NADP to be used in calvin cycle
ATP is produced (ADP+PI>ATP)
temperature dependant

i was aware i repeated myself a bit, what do you guys think?

Usually you have to mention all pigments, carotene, xanthanol, chlorophyll a & b to get a mark for that on other papers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hoobacious
The plant grows to face the sunlight, increasing its ability to photosynthesise.

would I get the mark for saying 'lets the plant curve towards light source for photosynthesis thus growth'?
Reply 367
Original post by Hoobacious
I was surprised that was just a 2 mark question - it's featured in essays before for either 4 or 6 marks (can't remember which, probably 4).

I just remembered "ROSE" from a study book I had (regulator, operator, structural, enzyme) and talked about how the repressor molecules cannot bind to the operator because of lactose, the inducer. Thus the operator turns the structural gene on and the structural gene produces beta-galactosidase which then breaks down the lactose. Repressor molecules can the bind to the operator, turning off the structural gene and production of beta-galactosidase. (Fitting all that in was a challenge).

yeah that's what I wrote but since it was so long I panicked a bit. ps (rose) how to pass higher biology? great book haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 368
Original post by JackoGeddes
would I get the mark for saying 'lets the plant curve towards light source for photosynthesis thus growth'?

Mm I don't know, I did a past paper where they wouldn't give the mark for curve they wanted grow towards the light source but I think it was an old past paper so it might be outdated

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
What did yous put for that question when it was speaking about birds going into turogy or something - I can't remember the word..
anyone got multiple choice answers yetttt, desperate to find out my mark,
Reply 371
What was the answer to what was the advantage to why beta-galactosidase was not produced by E-coli. Can't find it anywhere
Original post by rich7gers
What was the answer to what was the advantage to why beta-galactosidase was not produced by E-coli. Can't find it anywhere

I said because it saves energy and resources

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by am16
yeah that's what I wrote but since it was so long I panicked a bit. ps (rose) how to pass higher biology? great book haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used ROSE aswell, I remembered MED-C, GA-AIM, SAM, DIGSI DICTD, that book was great!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put that it saved amino acids being used to produce the enzyme when it wasn't required and therefore conserved energy.
Reply 375
Original post by OliviaTurner
I said because it saves energy and resources

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks very much
Reply 376
Was IAA an answer to any of the questions
Reply 377
Was IAA an answer to any of the questions

Yes the very last question in section B :smile:

For the advantage of the e-coli question I just wrote "saves energy" because that is what it says in all the marking schemes :lol:
Reply 378
One last question guys, what do you think in the genetic engineering question on why the person would still not be immune to the diease, do you think if I said because the blood-clotting gene replaced the majority of the original gene and this switched the gene off, would get me the 2 marks? Thanks again
One last question guys, what do you think in the genetic engineering question on why the person would still not be immune to the diease, do you think if I said because the blood-clotting gene replaced the majority of the original gene and this switched the gene off, would get me the 2 marks? Thanks again

weird question, had an answer along those lines. something like it had been split up by human blood clotting gene and wouldn't be coded for

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending