The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gnome :)
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2410-W-TRB-GOA-SEQ.PDF

EDIT: Negged? Just pointing out the official guidance on what AQA is suggesting the essay titles may be related to.

Just gave you a thumbs up.
Original post by erniiee
Congrats. Was it the June 12 paper?

Am I the only one a bit worried about what the grade boundaries will be this year? :lol: they went from 69 to 71 to 76 for an A* :eek:

Do you have any way of remembering which is temporal and which is spatial? I can't think of anything handy haha

All looks right to me except it releases potassium IONS into the cell, not phosphate molecules. Heres a nice summary of the Na+/K+ pump I found:

The pump, while binding ATP, binds 3 intracellular Na+ ions.

ATP is hydrolyzed, leading to phosphorylation of the pump and subsequent release of ADP.

A conformational (shape) change in the pump exposes the Na+ ions to the outside. The phosphorylated form of the pump has a low affinity for Na+ ions, so they are released.

The pump binds 2 extracellular K+ ions. This causes the dephosphorylation of the pump, reverting it to its previous conformational state, transporting the K+ ions into the cell.

The unphosphorylated form of the pump has a higher affinity for Na+ ions than K+ ions, so the two bound K+ ions are released. ATP binds, and the process starts again.

Spatial, I just remember it as space, so there's space for more pre-synaptic neurones.

Temporal is just the other one! (more neurotransmitter released in a short space of time).
Guys, I'm starting to do a mind map for what to discuss in an essay on cycles.

Would predator-prey relationships be classed as a cycle? Or is it too vague a concept?

It would be a nice way to bring in some ecology to the essay :s-smilie:
Original post by James A
Guys, I'm starting to do a mind map for what to discuss in an essay on cycles.

Would predator-prey relationships be classed as a cycle? Or is it too vague a concept?

It would be a nice way to bring in some ecology to the essay :s-smilie:

'twas in The mark scheme so yep put it in :smile:
Original post by Beth_L_G
'twas in The mark scheme so yep put it in :smile:

So it was in a recent paper? Damn, which paper was this? I'm on TSR via my mobile.

Original post by James A
So it was in a recent paper? Damn, which paper was this? I'm on TSR via my mobile.

June 2011.

"A cycle is a biological pathway or processes in which the end product of one cycle becomes the starting point for the next cycle. Write an essay about cycles in biology"
Original post by Mocking_bird
June 2011.

"A cycle is a biological pathway or processes in which the end product of one cycle becomes the starting point for the next cycle. Write an essay about cycles in biology"

:yy:
Reply 1127
Original post by erniiee
Congrats. Was it the June 12 paper?

Am I the only one a bit worried about what the grade boundaries will be this year? :lol: they went from 69 to 71 to 76 for an A* :eek:

Do you have any way of remembering which is temporal and which is spatial? I can't think of anything handy haha

All looks right to me except it releases potassium IONS into the cell, not phosphate molecules. Heres a nice summary of the Na+/K+ pump I found:

The pump, while binding ATP, binds 3 intracellular Na+ ions.

ATP is hydrolyzed, leading to phosphorylation of the pump and subsequent release of ADP.

A conformational (shape) change in the pump exposes the Na+ ions to the outside. The phosphorylated form of the pump has a low affinity for Na+ ions, so they are released.

The pump binds 2 extracellular K+ ions. This causes the dephosphorylation of the pump, reverting it to its previous conformational state, transporting the K+ ions into the cell.

The unphosphorylated form of the pump has a higher affinity for Na+ ions than K+ ions, so the two bound K+ ions are released. ATP binds, and the process starts again.

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1128
Yep

ahh okee thanks mate :biggrin:

Do you also know if action potential and nerve impulse are the same thing? I'm finding it a bit hard to understand
Reply 1129
Original post by thescientist17
I know it's a bit early but I'm going to try and revise as I go along so I thought there should be a place ready for any questions anyone might have as we go along and learn the content. :smile:

Also a place to discuss ISAs/ EMPAs, in my opinion the worst part!

For now, here's the answers to the exam style questions:

These are awesome- the comments are especially helpful thanks so much! :adore:
Reply 1130
Anyone think this is a good idea;
For someone (me) that has forgotten EVERYTHING SYNOPTIC RELATED i.e. everything from unit 1-4 (yeah I have bad long term memory lol) get the A2 NT Unit 5 section, and go through it, whenever it says 'Link' look at the synoptic and just revise them sections.
I have already began it, just finished stuff about the hear/cardiac cycle. Once I've finished it, Ill post it on this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1131
For the essay can you include topics that are completely off the specification such as excretion in kidneys? Would that count as the extra reading?
Original post by Gulzar
For the essay can you include topics that are completely off the specification such as excretion in kidneys? Would that count as the extra reading?

As long as its related to the question you can write about anything that's not on the spec
Original post by James A
Spatial, I just remember it as space, so there's space for more pre-synaptic neurones.

Temporal is just the other one! (more neurotransmitter released in a short space of time).

Ah okay. I'm thinking of temporal = temper..so one neurone getting up in my grill ahaha

June 2011.

Pisses me off so much when I read that in papers, its like go away AQA, I'm not doing English :rant:

No prob. Gotta love wikipedia!
Original post by Beth_L_G
As long as its related to the question you can write about anything that's not on the spec

Just make sure you know it in enough detail to talk about it and don't just throw in a random line about it :smile:
what do people find hard ???

i find
the last bit on DNA really hard
in vitro
in vivio
geen cloning

and muscles very hard

and the oestrogen cycle
Original post by noreaction

i find
in vitro
in vivio
geen cloning

and muscles very hard

and the oestrogen cycle

Same here, but I find muscles ok

Me :biggrin:
Original post by noreaction

i find
in vitro
in vivio
geen cloning

and muscles very hard

and the oestrogen cycle

I dislike all the action potential stuff to be honest. It'll be alright once I get it memorised but yeah.
I dislike all the action potential stuff to be honest. It'll be alright once I get it memorised but yeah.

oh i think that bit is ok

how confident are you on the dna bit towards the end and the essay in general

how can i better myself if i have no lessons to go to ??
Original post by erniiee
Ah okay. I'm thinking of temporal = temper..so one neurone getting up in my grill ahaha

Pisses me off so much when I read that in papers, its like go away AQA, I'm not doing English :rant:

No prob. Gotta love wikipedia!

Temper hahaha.

Latest

Trending

Trending