The Student Room Group

D1 (Decision 1) 17 May 2013 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MyNameIsRay
I am confused at how you are supposed to format a trace table for a flow chart.

For example, in January D1 (2010), Q5(a)

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/GCE%20January%202010%20-%20QP/6689_01_que_20100115.pdf

I filled the table out like this:

The mark scheme is filled out like this:

I looked at the text book and in the example in the book it puts each instruction (or box of instructions) on it's own new line. The mark scheme doesn't follow the format of the book's example so I'm not sure how to format it at all.

The mark-scheme seems to fill out the whole first row of the table until a new row is required, and then every new instruction after this goes on a new line. But I don't know if that's why it is set out like this.

Can anyone clarify how to fill out the table?

It is out for 5 marks and it looks like my answer would only get 1 mark. :l

Bro this is real last minute.... a lot of us haven't prepared for these types of questions as it came up in January this year. I would leave it if I were you and get some sleep... assuming your exam is in the morning :smile: good luck
Reply 801
Original post by study beats
I am doing the may 2008 paper and it has some odd questions... can someone tell me if there part of the specification or not...? Like this one....

..1368683122953.jpg

No, that is now on D2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by posthumus
Bro this is real last minute.... a lot of us haven't prepared for these types of questions as it came up in January this year. I would leave it if I were you and get some sleep... assuming your exam is in the morning :smile: good luck

Meh, it's the only question I don't know to answer in all the papers I've done.
Reply 803
Original post by QwertyG
Is there a way to remember which area you reject with equations like 2y>3x and such. I always forget how...

Ignore everything apart from y and the inequality.

Y >

Y is greater.. Bigger.. Above. So shade below etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Before I go to sleep... I have no idea what part d) is asking, and it's only 1 mark but seems long and complex

I wonder what happens when theres a mistakes in the MS, because I genuinely found one in May 2011

Anyways night all :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Forgot to post the pic, part d) makes no sense to me... ImageUploadedByStudent Room1368743680.954991.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 806
I am going to fail so badly tomorrow. :frown:

This afternoon/evening is the only time I've had to revise for it, and the stats exam is tomorrow morning as well. There's so much I don't know. I can't decide whether to accept that I will fail and get some sleep now, or try and learn it within the next couple of hours.
Reply 807
Good Luck for tomorrow everyone! I'm calling it quits for tonight =)
Forgot to post the pic, part d) makes no sense to me... ImageUploadedByStudent Room1368743680.954991.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

You test each point as an integer to find the correct solution so you put them back into the equations and see if it still is within the constraints. So basically for part b the x and y values should have been some fraction non whole number and you basically test the rounded up version and rounded down version of those numbers.

Anyways good luck guys hope it's a nice exam tomorrow unlike M1 :biggrin:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That isn't a mistake, so you found the optimal value to be 24.7 using the point (120/17, 60/17) so then for an integer value, the closest points are (6,3) or (6,4), the one which maximises is (6,4)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Treeroy

This afternoon/evening is the only time I've had to revise for it, and the stats exam is tomorrow morning as well. There's so much I don't know. I can't decide whether to accept that I will fail and get some sleep now, or try and learn it within the next couple of hours.

It's never too late to cram :rolleyes: At least, that's what I'm telling myself :biggrin:
Reply 811
Original post by Treeroy

If I were you, I would forget about sleeping, and go revise now :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 812
Original post by Rrs17
If I were you, I would forget about sleeping, and go revise now :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think Imma go to sleep. I just hope everything comes flooding back to me in the exam...
(I'm resitting.)
Original post by LShirley95
Dummy variable? I don't recognise that phrase. Are you referring to a "dummy" arc when doing critical path analysis? In which case it is used to show precedence where it would not be possible otherwise. Eg if tasks X and Y both rely on A, however task Y also relies on B. A would connect into X and B would connect into Y, and then a dummy would come out of the end of A to the beginning of Y.

Look at your chart, and see what activities absolutely have to go through that time. You may be able to move around some activities within their float to get them out of the way. Conversely you may be asked what activites can be happening at a certain time, in which case you move them about in their float in order to pass through.

You can find a lower bound for workers by looking at a Gantt chart be seeing what the maximum number of activities are that ever have to be going on at one time. If that many activties need to be done at once, you need at least that many workers.

I use an objective line to find the maximum profit. Say you have P = 3x + 5 y. Change that to y = (3/5)x+C/5 and draw the objective line on your graph. You should clearly be able to see the vertex of your region with the maximum profit by imagining the line shifting up the graph (or down the graph if you wanna minimise your objective). Fin the coords of the intersection by simultaneous equations and smack those numbers into P.

I dont understand?
Original post by Dilzo999
Think about it midday is theoretically the middle of the day. Lets say you had a gantt chart the time of day when you reach that day is midnight. and midday is the middle then midnight again so it's in the middle of the day. Draw a line directly down and whichever one it cuts into has to be happening. Now check to see if you can clear it all the way e.g. move it to the late time and if it still cuts then it must be happening,

So if I shift the activitys duration to how far it can go into its late event time, and if it still cuts in that time period, then it must be happening? OK thanks...

But what about my other questions?
Original post by Westeros
That isn't a mistake, so you found the optimal value to be 24.7 using the point (120/17, 60/17) so then for an integer value, the closest points are (6,3) or (6,4), the one which maximises is (6,4)

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I meant in the mark scheme there's a mistake in part c) ... they have 120/17 when it should be 420/17 .... they also said 120/17 = 24.7 , but it clearly doesn't !!! I couldn't believe what I was seeing :tongue:

Original post by Dilzo999
You test each point as an integer to find the correct solution so you put them back into the equations and see if it still is within the constraints. So basically for part b the x and y values should have been some fraction non whole number and you basically test the rounded up version and rounded down version of those numbers.

Anyways good luck guys hope it's a nice exam tomorrow unlike M1 :biggrin:.

Thanks for the help both of you ! :smile: I think I should really just keep calm now :tongue: ... Already had my redbull though, got to make sure I don't have too much... one morning I had 4, and I got severe pancreas pains in my Chemistry unit 4 exam :redface:

EDIT: Ah I see ! I had to look at the graph and use some of my brain :tongue: I was testing x values 7 & 8
(edited 10 years ago)
good luck, I hope everyone does badly so the grade boundaries are low :wink:

only joking :afraid:
Best of luck everyone for this exam and just remember to be extremely careful with your methods as a little slip up can normally cost you greatly!

Go and ace this exam :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck everyone :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oli_G
Hey m4ths, didn't know you had a tsr account. Just wanted to say thanks for posting your videos, they've been a great help for pretty much all my A2 maths and further maths :smile: keep it up.

Thanks!
All the best with your exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending