The Student Room Group

OCR M3: Systems of Rigid Objects - Question 2

Hi, I am not sure how to solve this question, any help is appreciated.

Two uniform rods XY and YZ, each of weight 20N and length 80cm, are connected by a smooth pin joint at Y. They rest symmetrically on two smooth pegs P and Q at the same level, with angle XYZ =90 degrees. Show that P and Q are approximately 28 cm apart and find the magnitude of the force from the pin on each rod.

Thanks for the help
Original post by HashBrowns

Diagram.

Then what are you able to deduce from the question?
Reply 2
Both reaction forces are equal? And how would I know which direction they would be in?
Both reaction forces are equal? And how would I know which direction they would be in?

Which reaction forces are you refering to?

Edit: Hinge or pegs?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Pegs
Reply 5
Original post by ghostwalker
Which reaction forces are you refering to?

Edit: Hinge or pegs?

Pegs
Pegs

And the pegs are smooth, so what direction is the reaction?

PS: I presume you've drawn a diagram.
Reply 7
And the pegs are smooth, so what direction is the reaction?

PS: I presume you've drawn a diagram.

I think it would be perpendicular to the rods.
I think it would be perpendicular to the rods.

Yep. It can't have any component along the rod, as the peg is smooth.
Reply 9
Yep. It can't have any component along the rod, as the peg is smooth.

How about the reaction forces at the hinge?
How about the reaction forces at the hinge?

Bearing in mind the symmetry of the situation, consider, can there be a vertical component to the reaction at the pin?
Reply 11
Bearing in mind the symmetry of the situation, consider, can there be a vertical component to the reaction at the pin?

I think there isn't a vertical component as otherwise the forces wouldn't balance out considering each rod separately. Not sure though.
I think there isn't a vertical component as otherwise the forces wouldn't balance out considering each rod separately. Not sure though.

That's correct.

If there was a vertical component in one rod, there would have to be a similar vertical component in the other by symmetry, but equally there would have to be an equal and opposite force, by Newton's Laws.

So, V=V and V=-V hence V=0.

So only a horizontal force exists.
Reply 13
That's correct.

If there was a vertical component in one rod, there would have to be a similar vertical component in the other by symmetry, but equally there would have to be an equal and opposite force, by Newton's Laws.

So, V=V and V=-V hence V=0.

So only a horizontal force exists.

I got F = 20N, and think this is correct. Could you answer the question on my new thread? Thank you very much for the help.
I got F = 20N, and think this is correct. Could you answer the question on my new thread? Thank you very much for the help.

Agreed.

Quick Reply

Latest