The Student Room Group

Oxford gang found guilty of grooming and sexually exploiting girls

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Interesting opinion on the subject here: http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/commentandblogs/2013/05/15/the-oxford-asian-grooming-gang-were-not-in-fact-all-asian-but-they-were-all-muslim-is-this-a-problem-we-are-afraid-to-face/

Something I didn't know:

And these depraved men [in Rochdale] would never have been convicted had it not been for Nazir Afzal, the North-west’s Chief Crown Prosecutor, a Muslim of Pakistani origin

He must be another of those people who "Muslims don't take seriously" ^^
Original post by marcusfox
He must be another of those people who "Muslims don't take seriously" ^^

He doesn't claim to be a "scholar/imam" and then tell us some of the most stupid things about Islam. Nor does he make sweeping and bigoted generalizations (as far as I'm aware).

There's a big difference, something which you seemed to have somehow missed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Al-Mudaari
He doesn't claim to be a "scholar/imam" and then tell us some of the most stupid things about Islam. Nor does he make sweeping and bigoted generalizations (as far as I'm aware).

There's a big difference, something which you seemed to have somehow missed.

Sweeping and bigoted generalisations now? You mean a Muslim has said something about other Muslims, but you prefer to ignore it because it doesn't fit with your worldview?

And just who exactly are you in the Muslim world to unilaterally decide for all of Islam that this imam should be disregarded, the second coming of Mohammed? What was that you were saying about sweeping and bigoted generalisations again?

Curious, but I thought that these imams who had done all that study and all were supposed to be respected over those who haven't (those like yourself) and all. From the ouside it seems more to me that it smacks of cherry picking - selecting the bits you agree with and disregarding the bits you don't agree with. What precisely qualifies you to make that assessment?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 224
Sweeping and bigoted generalisations now? You mean a Muslim has said something about other Muslims, but you prefer to ignore it because it doesn't fit with your worldview?

And just who exactly are you in the Muslim world to unilaterally decide for all of Islam that this imam should be disregarded, the second coming of Mohammed? What was that you were saying about sweeping and bigoted generalisations again?

Curious, but I thought that these imams who had done all that study and all were supposed to be respected over those who haven't (those like yourself) and all. From the ouside it seems more to me that it smacks of cherry picking - selecting the bits you agree with and disregarding the bits you don't agree with. What precisely qualifies you to make that assessment?

Nail - on - head.
Original post by theonefrombrum
You wasn't really saying that though was you so I'm not sure why you're rewriting your personal TSR history. You said it now, when defending your post but you never said it or hinted at it and so my reply is still justified. I'm just sick of people banging on about how there's a huge problem with Pakistani sex gangs when there's really not. Most Pakistanis are hard working, religious people who have no desire to commit any of these heinous crimes and yet whenever one of these stories crops up, the vilification inevitably starts and resistance to ignorance quickly weakens.

I'm half Pakistani so I know what I'm talking about and I live in a community where the majority living here are Pakistani and most hate the kinds of bad Pakistanis who commit these sorts of crimes, can everyone please remember that.

But I was really saying that.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY ONE COMMUNITY.

Its the fact that you are getting x community 'bumping heads' with y community contionously. I was merely stating that we have an issue with this.

1. His beliefs and preaching (in the context of Islam), gives him no credibility. Maybe to a Non-Muslim who's clueless about Islam or Muslim perceptions it may be different, but to those who actually have a bit of common sense, whatever this man says tends to be a bit of a joke.

2. He doesn't know enough about the Islamic sciences to even be considered an "Imam". Basic grammar like knowing the plural of simple words shows he doesn't know Arabic adequately enough, which is one of the requirements of Scholar.

3. His bigoted generalisations includes his accusation that "Most Imam's contribute towards the so called brutish misogyny that a small minority of Muslims (like any group of people) show".

- It is pretty clear he has not been to "most of the sermons that imam's give in the UK". Speaking from personal experience, I've never ever, in all the sermons I've been to throughout London, ever heard any of the Imam's in the sermon speak about how; "oh women needs to cover up more, they're a disgrace"

Most sermons tend to be about a Islamic historical story, and how we can apply that into our modern day life (gender neutral). Or, depending on the politics of the current situation, talk about Palestine, Syria etc. to make people more aware of what's happening.

- I wouldn't be surprised if he has some bitterness towards most Imams in the UK, who all consider him a joke (like most Muslims do anyways).

He has no evidence whatsoever, that any of the well known Imams (forget "most") make any contribution towards any ill treatment towards women.

1. He's not an Imam, not according to most Muslims. Let's not make a joke out of the word.

2. Someone who actually knows more then just the basics of my religion, its theology and its different sciences, and the different interpretations. What the Orthodox interpretations and understandings are and what the requirements of a scholar is - to no this guy is a tool who has absolutely know clue about what he says.

And if you go to any Muslim community, be it on an online forum, or a mosque and start preaching what this guy does, you'll either get banned or kicked out.

Now if you want to define something else as "Islam", which supports what Taj Hargey says, then all the best. For most Muslims, we'll keep a tight grip on our beliefs thanks.

Curious, but I thought that these imams who had done all that study and all were supposed to be respected over those who haven't (those like yourself) and all.

There are many Imam's out there who people disagree with. Throughout Islamic history, Imam's would disagree with one another on many different matters.

There disagreements were based on deep theological issues, not on some very basics, like Taj Hargey is trying to dispute. For this reason, it's important that Muslims (And Non-Muslims if they care) to know that he's not representative of Islam or Muslims as a whole, and only speaks about what he thinks, which as far as I'm concerned, has no credibility.

From the ouside it seems more to me that it smacks of cherry picking - selecting the bits you agree with and disregarding the bits you don't agree with. What precisely qualifies you to make that assessment?

You don't even have any idea about Islam, so how on earth can you know if I'm "cherry picking" or not?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Al-Mudaari
1. His beliefs and preaching (in the context of Islam), gives him no credibility. Maybe to a Non-Muslim who's clueless about Islam or Muslim perceptions it may be different, but to those who actually have a bit of common sense, whatever this man says tends to be a bit of a joke.

2. He doesn't know enough about the Islamic sciences to even be considered an "Imam". Basic grammar like knowing the plural of simple words shows he doesn't know Arabic adequately enough, which is one of the requirements of Scholar.

3. His bigoted generalisations includes his accusation that "Most Imam's contribute towards the so called brutish misogyny that a small minority of Muslims (like any group of people) show".

- It is pretty clear he has not been to "most of the sermons that imam's give in the UK". Speaking from personal experience, I've never ever, in all the sermons I've been to throughout London, ever heard any of the Imam's in the sermon speak about how; "oh women needs to cover up more, they're a disgrace"

Most sermons tend to be about a Islamic historical story, and how we can apply that into our modern day life (gender neutral). Or, depending on the politics of the current situation, talk about Palestine, Syria etc. to make people more aware of what's happening.

- I wouldn't be surprised if he has some bitterness towards most Imams in the UK, who all consider him a joke (like most Muslims do anyways).

He has no evidence whatsoever, that any of the well known Imams (forget "most") make any contribution towards any ill treatment towards women.

1. He's not an Imam, not according to most Muslims. Let's not make a joke out of the word.

2. Someone who actually knows more then just the basics of my religion, its theology and its different sciences, and the different interpretations. What the Orthodox interpretations and understandings are and what the requirements of a scholar is - to no this guy is a tool who has absolutely know clue about what he says.

And if you go to any Muslim community, be it on an online forum, or a mosque and start preaching what this guy does, you'll either get banned or kicked out.

Now if you want to define something else as "Islam", which supports what Taj Hargey says, then all the best. For most Muslims, we'll keep a tight grip on our beliefs thanks.

There are many Imam's out there who people disagree with. Throughout Islamic history, Imam's would disagree with one another on many different matters.

There disagreements were based on deep theological issues, not on some very basics, like Taj Hargey is trying to dispute. For this reason, it's important that Muslims (And Non-Muslims if they care) to know that he's not representative of Islam or Muslims as a whole, and only speaks about what he thinks, which as far as I'm concerned, has no credibility.

You don't even have any idea about Islam, so how on earth can you know if I'm "cherry picking" or not?

And that, ladies and gentelmen, is called DENIAL.

That is why not only did we have Rochdale, but we had Derby and Telford and Oxford and all the rest. And there will be more

Because any old nobody Muslim can take whatever he sees out of Islam, justify it for himself and won't be told by anyone that he is wrong, least of all an imam.

If an imam tells him he is wrong, even though that man be educated and he will not, he will search for reasons in the holy scriptures that justify whatever position you want, and clutch at straws to tell himself that the imam is wrong in some way.

If you want to find in these scriptures, passages that will tell you that abusing white girls is OK, you will find them, no matter if the majority of Muslims agree that that is not a reasonable interpretation of that scripture.

Don't take my word for it, that actually happened, as per the Rochdale case, and he even used his religion as an attempt to justify what he has done.

All of that you posted is purely your own specious opinions and as far as I'm aware in the Muslim hierarchy, imam >> you, so once again, you have shown yourself to be out of your depth and when it comes to 'authority' on the 'correct position' in Islam, compared to his, your two cents is worth precisely zero.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 228
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jul/22/how-racism-takes-root

These grooming gangs are Asian men targeting WHITES they are racially motivated to everyone but those self hating white cuckolds who read the Guardian. They only see coloured people as victims of racism and whites as perpetrators while ignoring the fact it's mostly whites who are the victim of racial crime. Just look at American media as a prime example they love a good story about evil whitey picking on some poor minorities when black on white crime is ten fold what white on black crime is.

There would be mass race riots if whites were targeting Asian communities like this.

And what do white people do? nothing.
Reply 229
I have read this entire discussion, and frankly, I'm disappointed at the quality of debate here. I myself am a practicing Muslim, and I'm disgusted by the existence of these gangs (as any sane person should be) and annoyed at the way the media cover it.

I think it's fair to say that these scumbags had a Muslim background. By that, I mean someone in their family would have practiced Islam at some point. That does NOT make them Muslims. It's interesting, religious background only becomes an issue in the media when someone with a Muslim background commits a crime. If religious background were mentioned in EVERY news article, we'd be seeing expressions like 'Christian rapist' or 'Atheist abuser' much more frequently (as it is, we don't see that at all). What I'm trying to say is that these people are definitely NOT practicing Muslims.

It's funny how people here are blaming Islam for sexual repression etc etc and all the tired, lazy stereotypes about Muslims. These men belong to the drinking, drug-taking, clubbing, hedonistic subculture of their communities. Any Muslims on this board will know exactly the sort of people I'm talking about. The kind that you see twice a year at Eid prayers with zigzags shaved into their hair, but you will never see anywhere near a mosque for the remainder of the year. They were almost definitely getting laid on a regular basis and weren't suffering from any form of 'sexual repression'.

I read Dr Targey's article in the Mail yesterday, and I just laughed out loud. It was so abysmally poor, he is a shameless self-promoter, and will just say what the Establishment wants to hear to get ahead. Any Muslims here ever hear an Imam talk about white girls negatively? Any Muslims here ever heard an Imam even talk about sex?!?! No. I have been going to mosque for the better part of 20 years and never heard the sentiments discussed in that article mentioned by a scholar. And Dr Targey is implying these scumbags even attend mosque. What an idiot. I bet he can't name a single Imam that has said any of the things he says in that article. If he can, then he's complicit in all of this for not alerting the authorities. He is a brazen liar.

Are these people just 'targeting white girls'? I would argue that they target anything vulnerable with a vagina. There have been cases of these gangs raping Asian girls too. I recall Sheikh Ibrahim Mogra writing that Asian girls would be less likely to report any abuse because of the increased stigma associated with being raped in that particular culture. What no-one else is addressing is that Pakistanis are a close knit community. They all know each other. My wife is half-Pakistani and her dad seems to be related somehow or other to 70% of Bradford. If word had got out that a Pakistani man had raped a Pakistani girl, then that man would almost definitely find himself dismembered by the girl's brothers, uncles, cousins etc. I'm sure you've all heard the expression 'don't s*** where you eat'. That's why it may seem that they are targeting white girls specifically whereas in reality it is merely a logistical issue.

It's such a dumbass argument to say 'well, the Prophet's wife was a child, so child rape is permitted by Islam'. Utter nonsense. First of all, none of these men give a damn about religious teaching, so why would they give a damn about the Prophet's behaviour? Secondly, Aisha is considered by just about every Muslim to have been post-pubescent when she married the Prophet, so how does that legitimise sex with a child?

Funny, how when the papers show you the mug shots of 'Muslim terrorists', they're always beardy, stern looking men with hats and robes etc. And the supposed 'Muslim paedophiles' look nothing more than chavs. Why has no-one made this observation? If Islam encouraged paedophila, wouldn't we be seeing a lot of beardy, robed guys in these grooming gangs?

The bottom line is these people are nothing more than drug dealing, criminal scum. Islam is against any sexual activity outside marriage. Religion is a red herring here folks. Try to look at the story from a different angle.

Eb1234
Oh, look, what a coincidence. True to form you are employing another standard denial tactic. Firstly, it's 'No true Scotsman, and now it's 'What about the white paedophiles, there's more of them?'

Rep when I can rep you again.
Vile thugs :angry: although I hope this is not just a thread to make the Asian/Muslim communtity look bad, if it was racially motivated then yeah I do agree that it's harsher for whites then another ethnicity when the police deal with these sorts of crimes but we don't know yet. I think on the whole we should judge people as people first rather than on their ethnic background/religion etc or make any sweeping generalisations.
(edited 10 years ago)
Who would feed an 11 year old cocaine?

Man, that's so ****ed up
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Rep when I can rep you again.

Don't worry about it, I'm sure if you continue to read TSR you'll come across another (if I do say so myself) entertaining 'telling it like it is' post from me in the very near future.
Reply 234
I think it's funny how people are trying to twist this around..into making Muslims seem like the victims in all of this. Are we not allowed to take offence to anything at all?

it's just selfishness.

edit: lol..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 235
Original post by Multitalented me
I hope this not just a thread to make the Asian/muslim communtity look bad

Nah they do a good enough job of that themselves
Original post by Eb1234
I have read this entire discussion, and frankly, I'm disappointed at the quality of debate here. I myself am a practicing Muslim, and I'm disgusted by the existence of these gangs (as any sane person should be) and annoyed at the way the media cover it.

I think it's fair to say that these scumbags had a Muslim background. By that, I mean someone in their family would have practiced Islam at some point. That does NOT make them Muslims. It's interesting, religious background only becomes an issue in the media when someone with a Muslim background commits a crime. If religious background were mentioned in EVERY news article, we'd be seeing expressions like 'Christian rapist' or 'Atheist abuser' much more frequently (as it is, we don't see that at all). What I'm trying to say is that these people are definitely NOT practicing Muslims.

It's funny how people here are blaming Islam for sexual repression etc etc and all the tired, lazy stereotypes about Muslims. These men belong to the drinking, drug-taking, clubbing, hedonistic subculture of their communities. Any Muslims on this board will know exactly the sort of people I'm talking about. The kind that you see twice a year at Eid prayers with zigzags shaved into their hair, but you will never see anywhere near a mosque for the remainder of the year. They were almost definitely getting laid on a regular basis and weren't suffering from any form of 'sexual repression'.

I read Dr Targey's article in the Mail yesterday, and I just laughed out loud. It was so abysmally poor, he is a shameless self-promoter, and will just say what the Establishment wants to hear to get ahead. Any Muslims here ever hear an Imam talk about white girls negatively? Any Muslims here ever heard an Imam even talk about sex?!?! No. I have been going to mosque for the better part of 20 years and never heard the sentiments discussed in that article mentioned by a scholar. And Dr Targey is implying these scumbags even attend mosque. What an idiot. I bet he can't name a single Imam that has said any of the things he says in that article. If he can, then he's complicit in all of this for not alerting the authorities. He is a brazen liar.

Are these people just 'targeting white girls'? I would argue that they target anything vulnerable with a vagina. There have been cases of these gangs raping Asian girls too. I recall Sheikh Ibrahim Mogra writing that Asian girls would be less likely to report any abuse because of the increased stigma associated with being raped in that particular culture. What no-one else is addressing is that Pakistanis are a close knit community. They all know each other. My wife is half-Pakistani and her dad seems to be related somehow or other to 70% of Bradford. If word had got out that a Pakistani man had raped a Pakistani girl, then that man would almost definitely find himself dismembered by the girl's brothers, uncles, cousins etc. I'm sure you've all heard the expression 'don't s*** where you eat'. That's why it may seem that they are targeting white girls specifically whereas in reality it is merely a logistical issue.

It's such a dumbass argument to say 'well, the Prophet's wife was a child, so child rape is permitted by Islam'. Utter nonsense. First of all, none of these men give a damn about religious teaching, so why would they give a damn about the Prophet's behaviour? Secondly, Aisha is considered by just about every Muslim to have been post-pubescent when she married the Prophet, so how does that legitimise sex with a child?

Funny, how when the papers show you the mug shots of 'Muslim terrorists', they're always beardy, stern looking men with hats and robes etc. And the supposed 'Muslim paedophiles' look nothing more than chavs. Why has no-one made this observation? If Islam encouraged paedophila, wouldn't we be seeing a lot of beardy, robed guys in these grooming gangs?

The bottom line is these people are nothing more than drug dealing, criminal scum. Islam is against any sexual activity outside marriage. Religion is a red herring here folks. Try to look at the story from a different angle.

Eb1234

Fantastic post.
Original post by Eb1234

Funny you should mention that. You are forgetting of course the extensively documented and reported upon sexual abuse scandals in the Catholic church, aren't you?

When you get a thread called "Catholic church paedophile priests", no one comes along to say "I don't understand why it needs to be labelled 'Catholic' and/or 'priests', paedophiles come in all religions and occupations, this crime is down to the individual"

Even though we know full well that the vast vast majority of Catholics and priests (and even Catholic priests) are not paedophiles, the surprising number of incidents that have been uncovered always causes attention to be drawn to the fact that there have indeed been a number of Catholic priests turning out to be paedophiles, and consequently a not undeserved correlation to be drawn between Catholic priests and paedophilia, with multitudes of jokes and innuendos about them buggering altarboys.

No one seems to have a problem with pointing out the fact that those commiting these crimes were Catholic priests, indeed this fact is always relevant and important.

In this case (or number of cases) it was down to a single group, not an individual.

And in spite of these groups being widely dispersed around the country with no evidence of any two groups having had contact with each other, every single one of the members of these groups had certain ethnic minority racial characteristics in common and quite possibly religious beliefs too. As did their victims.

According to you, apparently why this is irrelevant and unimportant.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by meenu89
Poor girls, to think they weren't even believed by the Police or by Social services :frown: good riddance to bad rubbish.

I can't believe it took all these posts for someone to actually mention the girls. What the hell were the social services doing?

On a side note, another reason to support gay rights to adopt children. A child in a loving a caring home would be far less at risk to such a horrendous appeal. Clearly people who do not support gay adoption are so out of touch of what it's like living a care home.

Also, I'd like to know what will happen to the girls afterwards. Will they be let down by society again?
Reply 239
If these girls were not protected by social services, then that is a serious problem. These men probably have a Muslim background but that doesn't mean they were practicing Islam (we don't know for sure if these men in particular were practicing), but it is a concern that a lot of rapes recently are caused by men with a Muslim background, Islam is clear on rape and abuse so why is this the case? Is it because the Muslims communities are not really doing enough to educate Muslims on such behavior?

In my opinion, if there is a trend that Muslim men or men with Muslim background are getting together and committing such acts then I feel that Muslim communities should speak out to Muslims and remind them that such behavior is not allowed, educating and guiding Muslims is the best way to prevent them of even thinking about rape. It is important that both Muslim and Non Muslim communities should work together to drive this behavior out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending