The Student Room Group

Anyone else worry they will be stuck in a dead end job?

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share one of my worries and see if anyone could relate :smile:
I'm studying for a psychology degree at the moment, part time with the Open University and also work at a bakery for 3 days a week. I have a few ideas of things I could potentially want to do after my degree career-wise but I'm really not decided on one career path. I really worry because most people that get into either postgrad courses or good graduate jobs seem to have been sure what they wanted to do for ages, and have loads of voluntary or work experience in a similar sector to have got in.
I really worry that I will be stuck working in bakeries for the rest of my life. I would love it if my part time job was a career I could fall back on if my degree didn't work out or if I had an idea of a graduate job I wanted to do so I could do something about getting experience. But its just not how it is and careers are such a big worry for me.

Can anyone else relate?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can definitely relate, but I worry more about never getting out of working several part-time jobs. At this point any full-time position would be grand...
Thread title made me start singing "Dead End Street by the Kinks" in my head.

No but seriously, it's likely you'll eventually get some sort of permanent job with your degree, not working in a bakery forevermore. I've worried about this periodically too, but as I'm doing a Chemistry degree, I'll probably do a PhD after my Master's before worrying about finding permanent work.
Reply 3
I'm glad people can relate. other people in my family are quite successful in their careers and it worries me that I'll have wasted my time, as I could still end up in a job that only requires GCSEs. I try and reassure myself though by saying there's more to life than career!
Original post by SpottedZebra
I'm glad people can relate. other people in my family are quite successful in their careers and it worries me that I'll have wasted my time, as I could still end up in a job that only requires GCSEs. I try and reassure myself though by saying there's more to life than career!

Considering that even getting a dead end job is hard at the moment (seriously 6 months unemployment...).

You have to remember we are in a recession so walking into a career you love is extremely difficult. I am sending application after application for cleaning jobs to grad schemes and everything in between.
Reply 5
Original post by Politics Student
Considering that even getting a dead end job is hard at the moment (seriously 6 months unemployment...).

You have to remember we are in a recession so walking into a career you love is extremely difficult. I am sending application after application for cleaning jobs to grad schemes and everything in between.

I can really sympathise with that :frown: I was unemployed for a few months and it's horrible. What's your background - are you studying?
I can really sympathise with that :frown: I was unemployed for a few months and it's horrible. What's your background - are you studying?

Finished an MSc back in October. Had a temporary research assistant job (only a month due to them having limited funding) and been stuck unemployed since.

Good range of experience in admin and retail still having zero luck on the job hunt.
Hi everyone,

I'm studying for a psychology degree at the moment, part time with the Open University and also work at a bakery for 3 days a week. I have a few ideas of things I could potentially want to do after my degree career-wise but I'm really not decided on one career path. I really worry because most people that get into either postgrad courses or good graduate jobs seem to have been sure what they wanted to do for ages, and have loads of voluntary or work experience in a similar sector to have got in.
I really worry that I will be stuck working in bakeries for the rest of my life. I would love it if my part time job was a career I could fall back on if my degree didn't work out or if I had an idea of a graduate job I wanted to do so I could do something about getting experience. But its just not how it is and careers are such a big worry for me.

Can anyone else relate?

I'm the same. I used to be very driven toward a law conversion or postgraduate medicine but I've since lost it. I think people like you and me need to go with the wind a bit. Do what we know we enjoy and just see where it takes us. If you're driven for success you will find it somehow. Driven people always do.

One thing I'd recommend is changing jobs. Baking obviously isn't one of your long-term career plans so apply for internships and jobs in the sectors you can see yourself in in the long-term. Otherwise you may well be working in bakeries all your life!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Hi everyone,

Can anyone else relate?

Ed Milliband probably is!
Reply 9
Original post by Politics Student
Finished an MSc back in October. Had a temporary research assistant job (only a month due to them having limited funding) and been stuck unemployed since.

Good range of experience in admin and retail still having zero luck on the job hunt.

I hope you have more luck soon! That shows just how bad of a state the job market is in....
Original post by synvilla
I can definitely relate, but I worry more about never getting out of working several part-time jobs. At this point any full-time position would be grand...

I agree. Im kind of in that position as well.
I want to work with kids, but i hardly get any hours at the nursery i work at nowadays and im working at mcdonalds as well. Im looking for new jobs. So any permanent full time position working with kids would be great.
Reply 11
I really worry because most people that get into either postgrad courses or good graduate jobs seem to have been sure what they wanted to do for ages

I think you are under a slight misconception in that plenty of people seem to be stuck on the idea of a certain career or perhaps some idyllic notion of a generic 'graduate job' but plenty go to uni, get the job and then the reality of it hits them and it is different to what they thought it would be and they realise that they are in a dead end job (albeit maybe with an extra couple of quid and a fancy title).

Just stop worrying and see what happens. Most people either don't have very clear cut views about what they are going to do or end up changing paths anyway.

Don't base your whole life and happiness on career and work anyway - it is just one aspect of life needed to pay the bills. You can always concentrate on other aspects too like hobbies, friends, family etc.
Reply 12
Original post by Mark85
I think you are under a slight misconception in that plenty of people seem to be stuck on the idea of a certain career or perhaps some idyllic notion of a generic 'graduate job' but plenty go to uni, get the job and then the reality of it hits them and it is different to what they thought it would be and they realise that they are in a dead end job (albeit maybe with an extra couple of quid and a fancy title).

Just stop worrying and see what happens. Most people either don't have very clear cut views about what they are going to do or end up changing paths anyway.

Don't base your whole life and happiness on career and work anyway - it is just one aspect of life needed to pay the bills. You can always concentrate on other aspects too like hobbies, friends, family etc.

Thank you - I think that's very wise advice :smile: i suppose its about getting a bit of work experience in as many different fields as possible so i can get more of an idea what I want to do. At the end of the day career isn't everything :smile:
Reply 13
Hi everyone,

Can anyone else relate?

no i think if u peruse your career make an effort and belive you can do it you will succeed , people in jobs they dont like/dead end jobs tend to be people who either have no belief in themselves or just get into the habit of going to work at that job so they dont bother looking for anything better
as long as you still have your mind on the career you want and go after perusing that u will be fine
Yes and no. I'm worried about being stuck in a job I don't like (law), giving up after a few years and doing something that was a complete waste of my degree, which I also don't enjoy.

So I've decided to do something about it and look into medicine, because that's what I really want to do but haven't given myself the chance. I'm going to keep up with the legal work experience to see whether I can find my niche there, but if I can't, then I want to have an alternative.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Rascacielos
Yes and no. I'm worried about being stuck in a job I don't like (law), giving up after a few years and doing something that was a complete waste of my degree, which I also don't enjoy.

So I've decided to do something about it and look into medicine, because that's what I really want to do but haven't given myself the chance. I'm going to keep up with the legal work experience to see whether I can find my niche there, but if I can't, then I want to have an alternative.

How comes you didn't apply for medicine then?

Law seems to complete opposite, are you sure you want to switch fields?
Original post by James A
How comes you didn't apply for medicine then?

Law seems to complete opposite, are you sure you want to switch fields?

As a 15 year old choosing her A-levels, it was always between law and medicine and for whatever reason, I plumped for law. So I chose humanities and arts based A-levels (with the exception of Maths). When I was halfway through my A-levels I realised that law wasn't so appealing but I applied for it anyway because I assumed medicine wasn't an option.

It was a daft decision but I was young and naïve and expected myself to be the perfect candidate who wouldn't ever change her mind, would go to university, love it and achieve a string of firsts. In reality, although law is still interesting, I don't have enough enthusiasm for it that I want to pursue it as a career, and I often find myself distracted by reading up on science and medicine.

I'm going to do lots of voluntary work/work experience in both law and medicine to be absolutely sure, and I'm still going to finish my law degree and can always go back to law in the future. But yes, I think it will be the right decision.

(Excuse the long post - it partly served to rationalise everything for myself as well!)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Rascacielos
As a 16 year old choosing her A-levels, it was always between law and medicine and for whatever reason, I plumped for law. So I chose humanities and arts based A-levels (with the exception of Maths). When I was halfway through my A-levels I realised that law wasn't so appealing but I applied for it anyway because I assumed medicine wasn't an option.

It was a daft decision but I was young and naïve and expected myself to be the perfect candidate who wouldn't ever change her mind, would go to university, love it and achieve a string of firsts. In reality, although law is still interesting, I don't have enthusiasm for it anymore and I often find myself distracted by reading up on science and medicine.

I'm going to do lots of voluntary work/work experience in both law and medicine to be absolutely sure, and I'm still going to finish my law degree and can always go back to law in the future. But yes, I think it will be the right decision.

(Excuse the long post - it partly served to rationalise everything for myself as well!)

That's good, I was gonna suggest the same thing. Just finish the law degree and take it on from there. Stopping halfway during your degree now, may turn out to be a suicidal move.

What A-levels did you end up doing?

I'm pretty sure it's Chem and Bio that are compulsory for Medicine :s-smilie: Even then, shouldn't the third subject be a science related one? :eek:
Reply 18
I study English, so yeah, I'm buggered.
Original post by James A
That's good, I was gonna suggest the same thing. Just finish the law degree and take it on from there. Stopping halfway during your degree now, may turn out to be a suicidal move.

What A-levels did you end up doing?

I'm pretty sure it's Chem and Bio that are compulsory for Medicine :s-smilie: Even then, shouldn't the third subject be a science related one? :eek:

I agree. I don't want to be daft and drop out after 2 years and getting reasonably decent grades. I can't risk that.

I did Maths, Spanish, French and History.

The A-level thing is the key issue. The plan is to sit them as an external candidate if universities will accept that. If not, I will have to apply to the universities which don't require A-levels but lots of work experience (and a tough entrance exam).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending