The Student Room Group

Why is rate of CO2 production higher during ANaerobic respiration

My question basically asks why rate of CO2 pruduction is higher for apples slices in a nitrogen atmosphere compared to a natural atmosphere.

I understand that anaerbic respiration will be taking place, so the only source of ATP will be from glycolysis. Which means that the whole process will be much more ineffecient than if o2 was present.

However I also know that CO2 is produced in the link reaction and Krebs cycle, as well as in the anaerobic conversion of pyruvate to ethanol.

Is the answer purely because the efficiencecy of anaerobic respiration is so much worse than aerobic respiration that so much CO2 will be produced during the conversion of pyruvate, despite more CO2 actually being produced in one cycle of aerobic respiration?
I think it's to do with how much more quickly anaerobic respiration proceeds compared to aerobic respiration.

The link reaction and the Kreb's cycle are aerobic processes!
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
I think it's to do with how much more quickly anaerobic respiration proceeds compared to aerobic respiration.

The link reaction and the Kreb's cycle are aerobic processes!

Where did I say they weren't?
Well you mentioned it in your post but it wasn't clear if you were aware so I was just bringing it to your attention. Calm down :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
Well you mentioned it in your post but it wasn't clear if you were aware so I was just bringing it to your attention. Calm down :smile:

No problem, I was just making sure I had explained myself clearly. Obviously I hadn't.

Anyway, I think my original assumtion was right, and it matches your answer too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending