The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by Instinct01
Commenting on a few posts doesn't prove that they are 'genuine' lol, what's your logic? It's more likely that by posting on such threads the 'teacher' intends to build up a reputable, trustworthy profile (and has successfully done so in many people's eyes!). Like I said before I would be skeptical about giving others your essays since there exists the probability that this is an A-level student who wants to get some free tips from others by collecting their essays and copying parts. If you want that to happen, go ahead: be my guest. But the advice you get shan't be genuine and appropriate to the mark scheme, just general waffle - i.e. 'be more detailed' and 'thanks for giving me your essay to steal some ideas'. Actually they will probably leave the latter of these two out in their reply.

i provided links to 3 essays to ''the teacher''

lets wait and watch.....

fair?

ryan
I'm doing journeys end on Monday :/ anyone got any notes/tips?
Reply 322
Original post by lilacwanda28
I'd try and aim for about 3 or 4 paragraphs, plus an intro and a conclusion. An introduction and a conclusion don't make your essay weaker, it just shows to the examiner that you have a good structure. But if you don't have time for a conclusion, don't sweat it, the intro and the rest of the essay is more important. If you have an extract question, annotate it before hand and label all the similes, metaphors, examples of personification, things like that and then give a paragraph for ONE of those. Then make sure you talk about context of the novel (i.e. women were very unimportant - only known as Curly's wife, black people were unimportant too, but we see how CW has more power over him bc she's married to the boss' son.) In the third one maybe talk about the relationship of the characters and how that links to the context of the novella, and if you don't have an extract question, talk about the importance of nature (the water-snake at the beginning and the end.) This will then lead you to talk about the cyclical nature of the novel, and how America worked at the time - migrant ranch hands. You could talk about the importance of it being a novella, instead of a play or an out there novel.
CONTEXT is very important. As long as you pick things out of quotes, using literary techniques and then link it to context and then back to the question you'll be fine. Hope this helped :redface:

Yes thank you so much! Do you do an inspector calls as well?? How should I set out that one?
Original post by cycahm
Yes thank you so much! Do you do an inspector calls as well?? How should I set out that one?

sorry I did Lord of the Flies but I guess our structure could apply for yours, I'm not sure. We were told to do about 5/6 paragraphs for that one - setting, imagery (religious, natural), main characters, key language (similes, metaphors) the overall main argument and themes of the novel. This might help with inspector calls, I'm not sure, I've never read it. But good luck :biggrin:
As Eric may come up in An Inspector Calls I made up a question and did an opening paragraph would anyone be willing to mark it???? Pm me!
Hi,

Could someone please list the method I should follow to revise for OMAM for the exam on monday.

E.G.
1.read the book

I don't know how many quotes I should learn and what questions i should expect

any help will be much appreciated

cheers
Hassan
Original post by BenAssirati
I AM DOING THE SAME BOOKS :O (AQA Anthology-Conflict)

I don't know why we are forced to do Mr Pip, there are no revision guides or any helpful information on it because it is so recent :frown: The Crucible is alright, I can usually bluff my way to a 26/30 or above.

WHOO you're like the only person here who's doing the same stuff ;0 well, in my school we only had a few lessons on the crucible so I need SO much help :'( do you have any useful crucible revision notes?

sigh at my life
Reply 327
sorry I did Lord of the Flies but I guess our structure could apply for yours, I'm not sure. We were told to do about 5/6 paragraphs for that one - setting, imagery (religious, natural), main characters, key language (similes, metaphors) the overall main argument and themes of the novel. This might help with inspector calls, I'm not sure, I've never read it. But good luck :biggrin:

hehe... im doing lord of the flies...

Have you got any good analysis points.. sharing is caring lol :crazy::worm2:

have you thought about:

the psychoanalytical approach to the novel?
the fact that simons death is also foreshadowed via the fact that he gives fruit, like jesus, so represents religion - but it hink the tree is set on fire>?

i havent actually read the novel yet.. but im still confident..ishhhh lol :biggrin::biggrin:

anyway... have you got any good analytic points???

ryan
Reply 328
Anybody got any ideas about what the question(s) will be for AN INSPECTOR CALLS?
Reply 329
HOW DO YOU STURCTURE YOUR ANSWER???
I have the knowledge and am ready to do pass papers but im not sure how to structure my answer...
Do i do 4 paras
with my intro
-first point
-another point
-another point
-my final point with my conclusion?
Reply 330
Original post by HASSANATOR
Hi,

Could someone please list the method I should follow to revise for OMAM for the exam on monday.

E.G.
1.read the book

I don't know how many quotes I should learn and what questions i should expect

any help will be much appreciated

cheers
Hassan

All you need to know is the main themes and what each character represents.They will give u a section for part a so dont worry too much a bout quotes.You should however know what happens in each section so that you can find quotes quickly for part b
Reply 331
Original post by Avor
Anybody got any ideas about what the question(s) will be for AN INSPECTOR CALLS?

Personally I think we might get: Eric, perhaps about the comparision between Erics and Geralds attitudes, differences in generations, gender e.g. the role of women.

What do you think we might get??
Reply 332
Original post by katt123
Personally I think we might get: Eric, perhaps about the comparision between Erics and Geralds attitudes, differences in generations, gender e.g. the role of women.

What do you think we might get??

might get Eva Smith as a character to analyse
Original post by Avor
might get Eva Smith as a character to analyse

Or maybe Edna if they're really really mean
Reply 334
Original post by memoona123456
Does anyone have any ideas what could come up for the 'Relationships' cluster. and to Alley Kat 606, yeh I am also doing An Inspector Calls and OFAM :smile:

I am doing all the same as you. I have a feeling that 'To His Coy Mistress' could come up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 335
Original post by Rosaknows
WHOO you're like the only person here who's doing the same stuff ;0 well, in my school we only had a few lessons on the crucible so I need SO much help :'( do you have any useful crucible revision notes?

sigh at my life

I do, and I will be making a thread on here today with a whole revision guide type thing :smile: I already have one up for Mr Pip if you want to check it out?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2353926
Original post by ryanb97
it normally has a extract for part A

Part A

dont use an introduction for this!
just go down the extract appropriated and methodically and just try to cover all the points
that will be your structure
oh and i normally plan my essay on the extract...

Part B

i normally write a one/2 sentences in the introduction... which is very long ... about 3 lines

in the matter of where to put in the context,,,, i would put it in part B
for example the crooks question in OMAM from jan 2013
in part A i would just write about how others viewed him on the ranch - the prejudice
then in part B - link the prejudice to the microcosm of america

hope that helps!

btw that structure tends to work :
this essay got full marks (30/30) and this person did it

ryan

In the example given here, the full marks pdf file where the student does Curley's wife question on OMAM.
Why has the person only done part a and gotten 30/30 without completing the context question?
I'm really confused as to how the person's got 30/30 by only doing part a?
Reply 337

Thank you so much! Also I was just wondering do I include things like structure and form in both part a and b? And if yes then what kind of things do I write about?
Reply 338
Original post by cleveradam
In the example given here, the full marks pdf file where the student does Curley's wife question on OMAM.
Why has the person only done part a and gotten 30/30 without completing the context question?
I'm really confused as to how the person's got 30/30 by only doing part a?

they did do both parts

on page 8 of the file -sheet

the person uses indents for indication of paragraphs
but when they moved to part B they misses out a line
when doing this the examiner wrote in the line .. something like: 6.1/6.2 in part A

they did do both

hope that helps

ryan
Original post by ryanb97
they did do both parts

on page 8 of the file -sheet

the person uses indents for indication of paragraphs
but when they moved to part B they misses out a line
when doing this the examiner wrote in the line .. something like: 6.1/6.2 in part A

they did do both

hope that helps

ryan

O I understand it now. Do you get 15 marks for each part? Or can you achieve like 20 marks in part a and 10 mark on part b? (my teacher has not made this clear)

Also do you have any idea on what could come up on OMAM?
And if you do An Inspector Calls?

Also say for example I get 28/30 for section A then I get like 12/30 for section B. Would they add the two marks together to give me an overall of 40/60 which is a middle A? Or do they work out an average of bands giving me a middle B?

Sorry for all the questions!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply