The Student Room Group

1 Bedroom Flat in Zone 1 London - close to SOAS

Hello!
[INDENT]
Thanks to all for the wonderful forum here.

I am an international student commencing my MSc at SOAS this September. I would prefer to live in private housing off-campus in Zone 1 but close to the SOAS campus. I am avoiding the SOAS houses because I have heard mixed reviews. Additionally, being an older student I want privacy, quiet and do not want to be bothered by roommates. At my age, one goes to school to study, not to party!!!

Kindly please share with me tips, warnings, advice and recommendations on how to secure a 1bedroom flat (maybe a studio) in London's Zone 1 close to the SOAS campus or the Marble Arch area.

I prefer a furnished 1 BR (not a room to be shared, but a truly private self-contained 1BR) in a safe area with "all bills" included in the rent. High speed broadband internet should also be available and the cost included.

Finally, what should I budget for such a 1BR? For a studio?

Many thanks! [/INDENT]
I think it will cost you at least £250 a week for a proper 1 bedroom flat.
I have a tiny bedsit in zone 1 for £150 a week.

My main advice is avoid any agency that wants you to pay for a subscription before viewing properties (the main ones are flatland, interlet and easylets), because they are generally all scams.
I find that the best places to find private rentals are zoopla.co.uk and rightmove.co.uk. Gumtree is also good but you've got to be wary of scammers.
Reply 2
Why live in zone 1? It's expensive as hell and the properties are crap unless you're a millionaire. I always sensed this fear of anything past zone 2 amongst university students in Central London
Reply 3
Original post by peter12345
Why live in zone 1? It's expensive as hell and the properties are crap unless you're a millionaire. I always sensed this fear of anything past zone 2 amongst university students in Central London

I am an international student only familiar with Central London - Zone 1 - so prefer to stay in the area I am most familiar with and also close to all the main sites.

However, I am not completely opposed to other areas. Where would you recommend with high quality properties and good commute times and connections to Central London?

Thank you
Reply 4
Original post by therisenmitten
I think it will cost you at least £250 a week for a proper 1 bedroom flat.
I have a tiny bedsit in zone 1 for £150 a week.

My main advice is avoid any agency that wants you to pay for a subscription before viewing properties (the main ones are flatland, interlet and easylets), because they are generally all scams.
I find that the best places to find private rentals are zoopla.co.uk and rightmove.co.uk. Gumtree is also good but you've got to be wary of scammers.

Thank you for this wise advice.

I will check out rightmove.co.uk
Original post by peter12345

It's just more convenient really.
The extra rent you pay is about the same as the cost of a weekly (cross zone) travel-pass for the tube. I prefer to be able to walk everywhere and not spend hours every day on the tube.
Plus I feel safer walking home at night because everything in zone 1 is pretty much 24 hours so there are no quiet, empty streets.
Just my preference though. I wouldn't live in zone 1 if my university wasn't in it.
Reply 6
Original post by aeuk
I am an international student only familiar with Central London - Zone 1 - so prefer to stay in the area I am most familiar with and also close to all the main sites.

However, I am not completely opposed to other areas. Where would you recommend with high quality properties and good commute times and connections to Central London?

Thank you

Islington?
Original post by aeuk
Hello!
[INDENT]
Thanks to all for the wonderful forum here.

I am an international student commencing my MSc at SOAS this September. I would prefer to live in private housing off-campus in Zone 1 but close to the SOAS campus. I am avoiding the SOAS houses because I have heard mixed reviews. Additionally, being an older student I want privacy, quiet and do not want to be bothered by roommates. At my age, one goes to school to study, not to party!!!

Kindly please share with me tips, warnings, advice and recommendations on how to secure a 1bedroom flat (maybe a studio) in London's Zone 1 close to the SOAS campus or the Marble Arch area.

I prefer a furnished 1 BR (not a room to be shared, but a truly private self-contained 1BR) in a safe area with "all bills" included in the rent. High speed broadband internet should also be available and the cost included.

Finally, what should I budget for such a 1BR? For a studio?

Many thanks! [/INDENT]

Avoid agencies like the plague. I went to LSHTM next to SOAS. I had agencies charging £187 just for signing a contract (a single piece of paper). Try out gumtree (beware of fakes) and if you get desperate spareroom.co.uk to share with only 1 other person. Expect to be paying approx £600PCM/ Obviously cheaper in Zone 2. You can find cheaper bedsits in Archway,Camden and Kentish Town.Definitely walkable to Bloomsbury in 30 mins.

Maida Vale and Paddington are options as well but start from £700 PCM

Quick Reply

Latest