The Student Room Group

Sick and tired of earning under £40k

I know this sounds silly but I am getting so jealous of my friends that earn more than me. I’m 25 and currently earn £34k, but I look at some of my friends that are earning £40k+ and I feel like a complete failure. I know I shouldn’t compare myself to others, but it’s really getting me down.

Anyone else get this?

I've been stuck on bloody £30something k since I left Uni and I'm getting frustrated when I see my friends move up and up.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
0/10
Reply 2
This has to be a troll thread.
Reply 3
Original post by DepressedMike
I know this sounds silly but I am getting so jealous of my friends that earn more than me. I’m 25 and currently earn £34k, but I look at some of my friends that are earning £40k+ and I feel like a complete failure. I know I shouldn’t compare myself to others, but it’s really getting me down.

Anyone else get this?

I've been stuck on bloody £30something k since I left Uni and I'm getting frustrated when I see my friends move up and up.

Ask your boss for a raise perhaps??
What did you do when you were at university?? And did your friends do something different to you??
Reply 4
well £34k isn't a bad weekly wage, im only on £20k per week so consider yourself lucky. fml
OP attempted this:

but failed miserably.

Cause the OP cannot be serious.
Reply 6
Original post by lexington7
well £34k isn't a bad weekly wage, im only on £20k per week so consider yourself lucky. fml

20K PER WEEK!
What's your job??
Reply 7
Original post by bahjat93
Ask your boss for a raise perhaps??
What did you do when you were at university?? And did your friends do something different to you??

What is wrong with using a single question mark? It looks so rude when people do this '??' all the time.
Reply 8
Original post by M1011
What is wrong with using a single question mark? It looks so rude when people do this '??' all the time.

It adds more emphasis on the question.
Also how does it look rude?? Please explain.
20k per week :lolwut:
Reply 10
Yeah I remember how that felt bro back when I was first starting my job at 12 years old. I eventually caught up and started earning 60K at 16, now I'm 22 and earning around 2.5 million a year. Still gets me down sometimes though.
Reply 11

Anyone else get this?

Pffft, you English grads. Never satisfied.
Reply 12
Original post by bahjat93
It adds more emphasis on the question.
Also how does it look rude?? Please explain.

It doesn't add emphasis, it adds impatience. That's the reason literate people don't use it.
Reply 13
What the hell? I asked for some advice and I get called a troll? Is it so hard to believe that I earn 34k?
Reply 14
What the hell? I asked for some advice and I get called a troll? Is it so hard to believe that I earn 34k?

I think you need to bear in mind that 34k is still a lot and there are many people who earn much less.

Anyone else get this?

Stop comparing yourself with others, if you want to earn more, work hard, try something innovative in your field, so you get attention of your boss or even other companies so eventually you will move ahead in life.

Many people will feel like that but understand the facts and live with it.

You've just graduated not long ago and you already earn more than the majority of the UK, that's why...
Reply 17

*Get some certifications which allow you to move to a higher level.
*Maybe work in another job in the evenings/nights/weekends such that your total earnings breach the GBP 40,000 barrier.
*Start up a business on the side which makes revenues in addition to your current job.
*Move to a jurisdiction where higher salaries (especially post-tax salaries) are on offer - I recommend Kuwait, Qatar or Bahrain (depending on your industry).\

Sound advice?
Original post by M1011

No it doesn't... Rude is the last word I'd use to describe the usage of two question marks.

Original post by M1011
It doesn't add emphasis, it adds impatience. That's the reason literate people don't use it.

How does it add impatience when they were offering advice and not asking for something? I use two question marks sometimes for emphasis or because I feel like it. Are you suggesting that I'm illiterate?

Stop being so touchy!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Freak Out
No it doesn't... Rude is the last word I'd use to describe the usage of two question marks.

How does it add impatience when they were offering advice and not asking for something? I use two question marks sometimes for emphasis or because I feel like it. Are you suggesting that I'm illiterate?

Stop being so touchy!

The way I read it, it increases the speed at which you might read the question in your head, adds some emphasis and urgency, looks a little bit less mature and a lot more informal.

This may not necessarily be a bad thing; sometimes it might be the effect you want to put across.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending