The Student Room Group

CCEA Maths C3 Friday 17th May

Anyone do this exam this morning? I did and I thought it was so hard! Very different from the past papers I did - question seven was a nightmare!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Caitlin_dj
Anyone do this exam this morning? I did and I thought it was so hard! Very different from the past papers I did - question seven was a nightmare!

Agree... 2nd part of Q7 made no sense...
Reply 2
I thought it was so twisted! In comparison to past papers! 7 just confused me! Does anyone remember any answers?
Reply 3
How did you do 5 part b? The Cartesian equation one.
Reply 4
It was ok until question 8 absolute nightmare as I couldn't prove it and as a result couldn't integrate. Couldn't finish 6ii in Time but had it started. Not sure about the question with the newton-raphson method, my answer was .2 out from everyone elses. :frown:

Worked it out that I lost up to 10 in question 8, lost 2-3 in 6ii and then up to 4 in the Newton Raphson one. If my equation was wrong then I'll have got the whole thing wrong potentially. :/ So worst (5+5+4+6+4)=51/75, best 66/75
(edited 10 years ago)
I did CCEA M1, was bloody deadly
Reply 6
Original post by bigdawg123
How did you do 5 part b? The Cartesian equation one.
I used natural logs and then subbed in to get some strange equation with a log in the power.
Reply 7
soooo much harder than the frickin past papers!!
Reply 8
Original post by upthegunners
I did CCEA M1, was bloody deadly

OMG I resat M1 on monday #cry
Reply 9
I agree with you all on question 7, it was absolutely awful. I wasn't too keen on the entire paper if we're being honest, though with CCEA I am not surprised (anyone who sat Physics A2U1 in January will understand). I'm just hoping I got most of the method marks even if my answers weren't entirely on point.

I also re-sat M1 on Monday and had a bit of a disaster with it, I stupidly mucked up the momentum question though I'm hoping I got most of the method marks for it & well as for the rigid bodies question (pole vaulter) don't even get me started...
Reply 10
What answers did you all get for the Cartesian equation q and 7(ii)?
Original post by RK94
What answers did you all get for the Cartesian equation q and 7(ii)?

I got y = 1/x^2 + 3 for the cartesian one :smile: And 1.16 for that stupid area one :/
Reply 12
Original post by jacksonriley
I got y = 1/x^2 + 3 for the cartesian one :smile: And 1.16 for that stupid area one :/

I got something like that but think I made x the subject stupidly :/ that area one was so hard!
Original post by RK94
I got something like that but think I made x the subject stupidly :/ that area one was so hard!

Nah, it doesn't matter what the subject is as long as you got rid of the 't's! You'll be fine! :smile: The area one was so weird, I stared at it for five minutes trying to figure out if there was an elegant way of doing it... In the end I did the bits either side of the intersection seperately and added them together, not sure how you were supposed to do it... :/
If anyone's interested:

1, i) cosx - xsinx
ii)(2x(sec^2of2x) - tan2x)/(x^2)
iii)2x/ln(x^2 + 3)

2, a) 2/2x+3
b)1<x<2

3, i) 1 - 2x/3 - (4x^2)/9
ii) 0.88 is 1 - 2x, so sub in x = 0.06 to 1 - 2x/3 - (4x^2)/9

5, a) 53.1 degrees
b) y = 1/x^2 + 3

6, a) i) A=2, B= -1, C= -2
ii) = (-4)/(2x - 5)^2 + 1/x^2 + 4/x^3

b) 1.25, 2.82, 4.39, 5.96

7, i) 0.596
ii) 1.16

8, ii) (tan2x)/2 - 3lnx + (e^2x)/2
Hi guys. I thought this paper was a joke! Way harder than all the past papers. For the area question I got 1.15 must have rounded too early :frown:. How did you guys answer it? I used Simpsons with 5 ordinates to find the area under the cosx graph then used a definitive integral to work out and subtract the area between the curves. Thanks.
Reply 16
I need an A*. Anyone think 65 out 75 would do it?
Original post by Steven2013
Hi guys. I thought this paper was a joke! Way harder than all the past papers. For the area question I got 1.15 must have rounded too early :frown:. How did you guys answer it? I used Simpsons with 5 ordinates to find the area under the cosx graph then used a definitive integral to work out and subtract the area between the curves. Thanks.

Cannot be legitimate to use exact integration.

The question asked us to use Simpson's rule. Each function was easy to integrate, and it would have been straightforward to find the area by integration of the functions using the POI found in part 1.

I don't know how to use Simpson's rule in the way they asked..... not for 6 marks (about 7 minutes)
Original post by Steven2013

I agree with you, the paper was a joke! :tongue: Perhaps the humour centred around the contrived pun between simpsons rule and the simpsons family from the popular comedy. That was the angle i tried to take an tackling this question. My personal opinion is that they will remove this question as it is not only impossible to do what they asked but it is not even clear what theyre asking. Did you get the rest of the paper correct?
Reply 19
Could someone please send me a picture or scan of this paper or even post it here if they have it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending