The Student Room Group

AS-Level English Literature OCR Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
I'm getting scared now :frown: :s-smilie:
Original post by sophie5
I hope Lights Out comes up perhaps Aspens? I don't really want no one so much as you

I hope the team heads brass that would be good
Just took the paper.
Ran out of time!
I found it quite difficult. I chose option a for Jane Eyre. What about you guys?
I did Yeats and Frankenstein, I was so happy with the questions that came up! The only problem is, I had so many ideas that I was rushing to scribble them all down and I think my essays ended up pretty badly written as a result.. oh well, at least its over with now! How did everyone else's go?
I did Yeats and The Picture of Dorian Gray :smile: thought the exam was good!! Questions looked hard at first but was lucky I had planned a similar question for 'The Second Coming' yesterday and I wrote an essay n Lord Henry as a manipulator and role in DG before so fingers crossed!! However like others my writing wasn't the best because I wated to get everything down :wink:
Original post by Charlotte1801
I did Yeats and The Picture of Dorian Gray :smile: thought the exam was good!! Questions looked hard at first but was lucky I had planned a similar question for 'The Second Coming' yesterday and I wrote an essay n Lord Henry as a manipulator and role in DG before so fingers crossed!! However like others my writing wasn't the best because I wated to get everything down :wink:

What did you write for the second coming?
I put about his vision of gyres and related it to change in Ireland at time then I linked blood dimmed tide to Easter 1916 connoting the violent change in world and alluded the sphinx and biblical allusions to cold heaven as well at rhetorical question showing apocalyptic change. Also touched on innocence and stolen child :smile: how bout you - how did u find it??
Forgot to write about language on the prose part! How many marks am I likely to lose?
Not many as long as you mentioned AO1/3/4 - I'm worried I didn't put sufficient context but I put quite a bit of critical analysis to balance :/ I think I did better on the poetry :smile:
I put about his vision of gyres and related it to change in Ireland at time then I linked blood dimmed tide to Easter 1916 connoting the violent change in world and alluded the sphinx and biblical allusions to cold heaven as well at rhetorical question showing apocalyptic change. Also touched on innocence and stolen child :smile: how bout you - how did u find it??

This was one of the only poems I didn't revise!

I had to make up things :frown:

I said that the blood dimmed tide line was about Maud Gonne getting involved in revolutionary politics and having blood on her hands because of the violence, etc.

Talked of biblical language, Jesus came back to life (Second Coming) at Easter - reference to Easter Rising?

Context of the poem - After war - cautionary tale to stop future wars.

Repetition of turning and turning, and surely. Repetition starts both stanzas. Stanza 1 represents the descent into chaos, Stanza 2 is the chaos. Starting both stanzas the same shows it is the same world.

Really worried - are these good points?
Not many as long as you mentioned AO1/3/4 - I'm worried I didn't put sufficient context but I put quite a bit of critical analysis to balance :/ I think I did better on the poetry :smile:

Good! :smile: I did lots of context, quotes and explanations. What what are the AOs exactly? Context/quotes/language/????
Original post by Phil Dunphy

I said that the blood dimmed tide line was about Maud Gonne getting involved in revolutionary politics and having blood on her hands because of the violence, etc.

Talked of biblical language, Jesus came back to life (Second Coming) at Easter - reference to Easter Rising?

Repetition of turning and turning, and surely. Repetition starts both stanzas. Stanza 1 represents the descent into chaos, Stanza 2 is the chaos. Starting both stanzas the same shows it is the same world.

Dont worry that sounds good dont forget poetry is interpreted differently by everyone - n u did mention ao2 if u put stanza pattern so even though u didn't put lots of language in u did put sum other ao2 stuff in :smile:
AO1 is argument, critical terminology and fluency
AO2 is language imagery and verse form
AO4 is context

AO3 is critical interpretation

hope this helps :smile:
Dont worry that sounds good dont forget poetry is interpreted differently by everyone - n u did mention ao2 if u put stanza pattern so even though u didn't put lots of language in u did put sum other ao2 stuff in :smile:
AO1 is argument, critical terminology and fluency
AO2 is language imagery and verse form
AO4 is context

AO3 is critical interpretation

hope this helps :smile:

Thanks :smile: I made up critics (I doubt they'll check) :colondollar: I didn't mention language for my prose question at all :frown:
How can they check they aren't allowed to leave the document when marking it aha and it wud take forever :wink:
Reply 334
What did you write for the second coming?

Um my 3 points were:
Changing world is eternal (gyres and stuff)
Changing world is vexatious (indignant birds, sphinx, occult, golden dawn, loss of control (falconry in the middle ages))
Changing world is foreboding (WW1 Revolution of St John Angel poured blood, Russian revolution)

Linked to Leda- Transition in both poems revolutionary
Linked to Cat and Moon (Moon taken a new phase, eternality)
Linked to Easter- Was it needless death after all?

Was very happy with my Second Coming Essay, Dorian Gray was ok as well but I only wrote 1 sentence for conclusion I ran out of time :/ Did the Henry Dorian relationship one, talked about Aestheticism, Homoeroticism, Influence
Original post by maxtate
Um my 3 points were:
Changing world is vexatious (indignant birds, sphinx, occult, golden dawn, loss of control (falconry in the middle ages))
Changing world is foreboding (WW1 Revolution of St John Angel poured blood, Russian revolution)

Was very happy with my Second Coming Essay, Dorian Gray was ok as well but I only wrote 1 sentence for conclusion I ran out of time :/ Did the Henry Dorian relationship one, talked about Aestheticism, Homoeroticism, Influence

I linked to Leda, but said how innocent Maud Gonne's involvement in revolutionary politics (ceremony of innocence / blood dimmed tide I said was a reference to Maud Gonne and revolutionary politics - blood on her) and how the swan changed Leda's world :tongue:

I also linked it to the fisherman: best lack conviction... Fisherman didn't soeak up against revolutionaries.

Did you need to reference 3 poems :frown:

Could you take a look at my points (prev page) and see what you think?
Original post by maxtate
Um my 3 points were:

Why didn't I think of homosexuality aha!! Too obvious - I also put influence aestheticism and duality :smile: also u made some good points on Yeats :smile:
Reply 337

Your point about Maud Gonne is good! (not sure bout the blood on her hands) but the idea is good about her gettin involved in politics...
Yeahh it's good you linked to Easter rising, but small point, second coming in this case wasn't the return of christ, was about birth of anti-christ, cuz yeats says 'cradle' not 'manger' but yeah it's still really good context :P And yeah nice point about constant turning of gyres haha cuz that's basically context too..You'll do well don't worry!! xD
Reply 338
Why didn't I think of homosexuality aha!! Too obvious - I also put influence aestheticism and duality :smile: also u made some good points on Yeats :smile:

Hahaa I only thought of it cuz I read a critics 10 page essay on it yesterday so it was basically luck that I found it :biggrin: ahh yeah I forgot the duality :frown: Thanksss! I did this exact essay as a homework so I just remembered my points, I was so happy when I turned the page and saw this poem :P
Reply 339
did anyone do turn of the screw? I thought the questions were horrible :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending