The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by cleveradam
O I understand it now. Do you get 15 marks for each part? Or can you achieve like 20 marks in part a and 10 mark on part b? (my teacher has not made this clear)

Also do you have any idea on what could come up on OMAM?
And if you do An Inspector Calls?

Also say for example I get 28/30 for section A then I get like 12/30 for section B. Would they add the two marks together to give me an overall of 40/60 which is a middle A? Or do they work out an average of bands giving me a middle B?

Sorry for all the questions!

15 each
no i do LOTF
ermm.... well i think it might be G/L or Candy tbh
no they add it together

thats not a lot of question

i do know that if you start writing about a lot of contextual stuff in part A they will mark you for it..even though it is explicitally written in part B.... since some people do both parts together... if you get what i mea???

ryan
Reply 341
If you made similar points in both questions would you lose marks? (I do OMAM and AIC)
Original post by ryanb97
15 each
no i do LOTF
ermm.... well i think it might be G/L or Candy tbh
no they add it together

thats not a lot of question

i do know that if you start writing about a lot of contextual stuff in part A they will mark you for it..even though it is explicitally written in part B.... since some people do both parts together... if you get what i mea???

ryan

hi,

i am also doing lord of the flies with omam and ahve you get any perecptive poeints for LOTF and what do you think could come up

cheers
Original post by Instinct01
Ermm, an A-level English teacher who cannot even use commas or apostrophes (in your next post) correctly... yeah right! More likely to be a troll just bored. Why would a teacher come onto a student forum and offer to mark everyone’s work for free?! Yeah, ‘cause they don’t have enough of their own students’ work to be marking!

But even if you are a teacher - which I highly doubt - I think it is quite naive to rule out Curley or Slim just because you've been with AQA "since 2011". I mean what kind of a feat is that anyway? My teacher, with many years of experience as an examiner, says it's a real possibility that these characters will come up.

Hello Instinct01,

I'm pleased to see that people are reading my posts, and showing such an optimistic interest - like yourself. Your post has enlightened me with the truth - I didn't place commas in the correct place, in that post. However, I wrote that post at such a high speed, so that I could reply quickly, that I didn't take into consideration the accuracy of my writing. I never planned for my, unaccurate, comment to become the 'talk-of-the-thread.'

Obivously it has!

I merely chose to offer help, so that I can help students prepare for the exam, but it is now evident that some students don't appreciate that. At the moment, I don't have much marking to do, so I'm sorry to ruin your preconception of me.

Where in my post did I say that Slim or Curely will never come up? I only stated my opinion, which I never knew would hurt someone's feelings in such a peculiar way. Moreover, did I say I never had experience? I only said that I've been with AQA since 2011 and I am I marker with them, so there is no difference there, between me and your teacher.

Also, may I ask you when the new specification for English Language was released?

It was released in January 2011. Guess what? The English department at my school have been with them since, so there is no point of comparision between your teacher and me now, is there?

Once again, I'm awfully sorry to have hurt your feelings, merely because of my urge to reply to a student quickly.

Mr Derby.
Reply 344
Original post by HASSANATOR
hi,

i am also doing lord of the flies with omam and ahve you get any perecptive poeints for LOTF and what do you think could come up

cheers

look at the psychoanalytical approach - that is big one!

ryan
Original post by BP_Tranquility
Thanks for offering to help us :smile:
I'm not sure if you've studied the crucible or not, but it you have, do you have any ideas on which questions may come up? Or any other general tips/advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

At my school, we don't teach The Crucible, so I don't know what type of question you can expect to be asked - sorry!

My advice to you would be to make sure your answer is well structured. Make sure you plan your answer, to avoid repetition in your answer. Another advantage of planning, is that you won't miss out key elements in your essay, like structural analysis, for example.

You have sent me a message and I will provide you with more information in my reply.

Mr Derby.
Original post by teacherforall
Hello Instinct01,

I'm pleased to see that people are reading my posts, and showing such an optimistic interest - like yourself. Your post has enlightened me with the truth - I didn't place commas in the correct place, in that post. However, I wrote that post at such a high speed, so that I could reply quickly, that I didn't take into consideration the accuracy of my writing. I never planned for my, unaccurate, comment to become the 'talk-of-the-thread.'

Obivously it has!

I merely chose to offer help, so that I can help students prepare for the exam, but it is now evident that some students don't appreciate that. At the moment, I don't have much marking to do, so I'm sorry to ruin your preconception of me.

Where in my post did I say that Slim or Curely will never come up? I only stated my opinion, which I never knew would hurt someone's feelings in such a peculiar way. Moreover, did I say I never had experience? I only said that I've been with AQA since 2011 and I am I marker with them, so there is no difference there, between me and your teacher.

Also, may I ask you when the new specification for English Language was released?

It was released in January 2011. Guess what? The English department at my school have been with them since, so there is no point of comparision between your teacher and me now, is there?

Once again, I'm awfully sorry to have hurt your feelings, merely because of my urge to reply to a student quickly.

Mr Derby.

Hello Mr Derby’,

Funny how you talk about the English Language specification when you have offered English Literature help on this thread dedicated to English Literature. Definitely a teacher who knows what they're doing, right? Wrong!

Hah! Your excuse of not using commas properly because you wrote at “such a high speed” is fairly pathetic. You’re not the only one who types quickly and even so, how do you inadvertently place commas in the wrong place by doing so? But that excuse is redundant given the fact you made the same mistake many, many times in your reply, which you would surely have scrutinised for errors so as not to undermine your cocky and patronising tone. Within this quote below there are numerous examples of the incorrect usage of commas:

“However, I wrote that post at such a high speed, so that I could reply quickly, that I didn't take into consideration the accuracy of my writing. I never planned for my, unaccurate, comment to become the 'talk-of-the-thread.'”

For example, ignoring the fact that 'unaccurate' is not even a word there should be no comma placed before it.

Hence, since my teacher can actually use commas correctly and understands the difference between unaccurate and inaccurate, I guess it’s safe to say that there is a “point of comparison” between the two of you she’s a teacher and you’re a pathetic troll or student seeking to steal others’ ideas through manipulative methodologies.

Instinct01

Edit: Oh yeah - this too:

Original post by teacherforall
The January 2013 papers are confidential, and I can't publish them on here because it would defeat the purpose of my school having English mock exams - most of my students will see the exam paper, before we do the internal mock assessments, so unfortunately, I will not post the papers on here.

...the exam is on Monday. When are you planning on doing these 'internal mock assessments'? :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ndean1sc

Original post by andersson

Original post by katt123

Original post by Farhan96

Guys, read my posts in this thread. You'll realise 'teacherforall' is not actually a teacher. Whilst there does exist the probability that it may be a troll it is more likely that this is a bait-and-switch or student (perhaps A-level) that is seeking others' essays so as to essentially steal the ideas. Don't give him/her your essay!

If you think I'm just paranoid, it's not just me who thinks this - here are some quotes from other TSR members on one of teacherforall's threads:

Original post by xStaceyy
Are you currently employed?
How do you have the time to mark random students work on a website if you're a teacher?

Original post by British-Student
I'm calling shenanigans here, it sounds more like a (very clever, granted) scheme for an A-Level student to get some free tips from others by gathering up their essays...

Original post by nonswimmer
+1 on your shenanigans.

No teacher would do this, least of all at 11:10pm on a schoolnight.

My guess is this is bait-and-switch advertising for a paid proof-reading service.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ryanb97
hehe... im doing lord of the flies...

Have you got any good analysis points.. sharing is caring lol :crazy::worm2:

have you thought about:

the psychoanalytical approach to the novel?
the fact that simons death is also foreshadowed via the fact that he gives fruit, like jesus, so represents religion - but it hink the tree is set on fire>?

i havent actually read the novel yet.. but im still confident..ishhhh lol :biggrin::biggrin:

anyway... have you got any good analytic points???

ryan

yeah - my favourite thing to talk about when either doing setting or themes is the quote: 'unknown indigo of infinite possibilities' which is talking about the sea. As indigo is a dark colour and the colour of the sea surrounding them, you could say how darkness surrounds them. However, for extra kudos points you could say that because indigo is a dark colour and how the alliteration of the 'n' sound, it seems like the darkness is inside the characters, instead of encompassing them, representing Golding's view of evil being inherent. Hope this is what you were looking for xD
Reply 349
Original post by Instinct01
Guys, read my posts in this thread. You'll realise 'teacherforall' is not actually a teacher. Whilst there does exist the probability that it may be a troll it is more likely that this is a bait-and-switch or student (perhaps A-level) that is seeking others' essays so as to essentially steal the ideas. Don't give him/her your essay!

If you think I'm just paranoid, it's not just me who thinks this - here are some quotes from other TSR members on one of teacherforall's threads:

Nice sustained answer with quotes there LOL.
Reply 350
Are you guys revising for crooks and curley's wife at all since they've came out already?
Original post by Farhan96
Nice sustained answer with quotes there LOL.

Haha! Well when I saw it was clearly a fake teacher and that there were lots of people buying into it, I knew it was necessary to put up a convincing argument for anyone to believe me over a 'teacher'!
Original post by cycahm
Thank you so much! Also I was just wondering do I include things like structure and form in both part a and b? And if yes then what kind of things do I write about?

definitely include form and structure in both parts. But don't stress yourself out looking for examples if there's nothing there, you'll just waste time and then you'll be stressed which won't help at all. For structure, look at how the extract starts and ends and see if that is worth talking about - like if the extract starts with some characters talking about their dream and then ends with one character crying in the corner after almost slaughtering his boss' son you could show how it's an inevitable cycle that those characters don't achieve their dream...things like that. Also for structure it's good to see if long sentences are used or short ones, what word the extract ends on...like it it ended on 'the dream' what is the significance of that....things like that for structure. That goes for section a and b.
For form think about the conventions of that genre. Like, do novel chapters usually start off with massively long descriptions, or usually describing what characters are doing? If the writer is subverting these conventions, then it must mean something significant....again I hoped this helps (I haven't thought about this exam for over a year now, so sorry of it's a bit rusty :colondollar:)
Original post by cycahm
Are you guys revising for crooks and curley's wife at all since they've came out already?

I got Curley's Wife last year, so you may be safe with that, but I don't think there's much harm in revising both if I'm honest. What could you lose? Now think what you could gain if the scene with Crooks and CW comes up. I'd say revise both, but that's just me. (Plus I don't know how much work you have going on else where. It's just my advice, but if you have other things to revise for, browse over those two, but don't focus on them too much then) good luck xD
Reply 354
Original post by lilacwanda28
I got Curley's Wife last year, so you may be safe with that, but I don't think there's much harm in revising both if I'm honest. What could you lose? Now think what you could gain if the scene with Crooks and CW comes up. I'd say revise both, but that's just me. (Plus I don't know how much work you have going on else where. It's just my advice, but if you have other things to revise for, browse over those two, but don't focus on them too much then) good luck xD

Thank you so much for your help! I understand a lot more now and yes since I need to revise chemistry as well I think I'll just quickly read through crooks thank you :smile:
Reply 355
Hi, I have just seen this. Have you already sent your work to 500 readers? If not how do I get a copy please? Thanks.:smile:
I do 'The Crucible' for Section A and 'Purple Hibiscus' for Section B. Am I like the only one doing these books?:O Our teacher said she specifically chose to study these as hardly any 'centres' do them and examiners will look upon them with fresh eyes after marking so many OMAM and LOTF essays*rolls eyes*... still i'd rather do OMAN/LOTF so I could take advantage of all these fantastic discussions and resources! lol anyway this is basically a shout ou tto anyone doing The Crucible and Purple Hibiscus for this paper and if you would like to dicuss what is likely to come up etc
Reply 357
Original post by lilacwanda28
yeah - my favourite thing to talk about when either doing setting or themes is the quote: 'unknown indigo of infinite possibilities' which is talking about the sea. As indigo is a dark colour and the colour of the sea surrounding them, you could say how darkness surrounds them. However, for extra kudos points you could say that because indigo is a dark colour and how the alliteration of the 'n' sound, it seems like the darkness is inside the characters, instead of encompassing them, representing Golding's view of evil being inherent. Hope this is what you were looking for xD

wow thats exactly the stuff i wanted to talk about

a good one i like to use is when talking about the conch as a vesal for legitimate authority and symbolic representation of Democratic power
and also the proverb, that man has an innate universal illness which leads it to destruction and brutal endeavours

also i try to link in the fact that jack told the choir to wear black hats and black coats therefore mimicking what a judge would wear inthose times when sentancing someone to death - foreshadowing him as a link to death

oh and the fact that jack is linked to allthe deaths in the novel:
littlun with the birth mark - fire
simon who fainted a lot
piggy with his glasses

through this one could say that golding uses jack as a figurative representation of Hitler, as the only people jack killed had physical defects - just as hitler wanted to get rid of those with physical defects

hope those help

have you got anymore because i thought the encapsulation of the island thing was really really good!!!
:biggrin: :biggrin:

ryan
Original post by cycahm
Thank you so much for your help! I understand a lot more now and yes since I need to revise chemistry as well I think I'll just quickly read through crooks thank you :smile:

yey!! glad I've helped xD :biggrin: lol big cheesy grin xD
Reply 359
Original post by grammar12
Hey, if anyone needs any revision resources for OMAM or Inspector calls, pm me your email address and I will send them all to you. I scored 80/80 in the OMAM Inspector calls units with these so they should be very useful to you. Im doing Macbeth and Animal farm this year on the 23rd and i'm somewhat worried about them. If anyone has any resources for these, can you maybe pm me or quote this post. Thank you!

Yes please. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending