The Student Room Group

Aqa govp1 17/05/13

Any ideas on what to expect on this paper people?
wondering the same!
Reply 2
I think for this paper for Electoral Systems we need to know the +ve/-ve for all electoral systems and a good understanding of each one because it's bound to come as the 10 or 25 marker

For PG's you should know
Pressure group success
Pressure group roles i.e sectional, cause..
Pressure groups stance on the EU
Methods
And democracy

And Voting Behaviour and participation is usually to do with how and why people vote/don't vote, partisan alignment and dealignment, class alignment and dealignment, short term factors and long term factors, turnout, participation crisis, referndums

Hopefully this is ringing some bells

Remember there's only so much they can ask, so practise practise practise !

And make sure to use stats and the correct terminology. My teacher says the examiner needs to know you're a politics student not someone who just keeps up with the news.
Reply 3
how did people do? think it was a fairly nice paper! i picked voting behaviour and electoral systems. stumbled on the 10 marker but fared well overall and would I be correct to say the 24 marker on Voting Behaviour was pretty much long term (stability) and short term (volatility) factors of election voting behaviour?
Can we discuss this yet?
Reply 5
Original post by Rahdip
how did people do? think it was a fairly nice paper! i picked voting behaviour and electoral systems. stumbled on the 10 marker but fared well overall and would I be correct to say the 24 marker on Voting Behaviour was pretty much long term (stability) and short term (volatility) factors of election voting behaviour?

What did you put for the 25 marker(topic 1)? I said stability: still some link between class and voting and rational choice. Volatility: media, issue voting.

10 marker (topic 1): protest voting and floating voters :tongue:

5 marker was easy for topic 1.

Topic 2 5 marker was fairly easy

Topic 2 10 marker I put: FPTP requires a party to win a certain amount of support favouring two main parties. Also: PR system gives same share if vote to seat leading to third parties - those most common in coalitions - to getting a say. DIDNT GET THIS AT ALL.

Topic 2 25 marker. For referendums: democracy, involvement, stop divisions in government. Against: ill informed voters, apathy, allows government to shirk responsibility.

Are these good points? :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Phil Dunphy
What did you put for the 25 marker(topic 1)? I said stability: still some link between class and voting and rational choice. Volatility: media, issue voting.

10 marker (topic 1): protest voting and floating voters :tongue:

5 marker was easy for topic 1.

Topic 2 5 marker was fairly easy

Topic 2 10 marker I put: FPTP requires a party to win a certain amount of support favouring two main parties. Also: PR system gives same share if vote to seat leading to third parties - those most common in coalitions - to getting a say. DIDNT GET THIS AT ALL.

Topic 2 25 marker. For referendums: democracy, involvement, stop divisions in government. Against: ill informed voters, apathy, allows government to shirk responsibility.

Are these good points? :frown:

I did the same! I did question 1 and 2, for the 25 mark about stability and volatility I was a little unsure what they meant but I went for the same thing, I said about long term and short term factors, partisanship, class alignment and all that and concluding that the rise of short term factors means that I believe that the voting behaviour in the UK is actually more volatile now rather than stable.

I said the same thing for the other 25 marker, relating it to the referendums we have had recently. I also mentioned about how we only have constitutional referendums and why, just for good measure :P

The second ten marker I was so puzzled on, about the FPTP and how it tends not to produce coalition governments. Luckily the extract was full of the information so I just blagged my way through it I think.
Reply 7
Original post by jaimiellane
I did the same! I did question 1 and 2, for the 25 mark about stability and volatility I was a little unsure what they meant but I went for the same thing, I said about long term and short term factors, partisanship, class alignment and all that and concluding that the rise of short term factors means that I believe that the voting behaviour in the UK is actually more volatile now rather than stable.

I said the same thing for the other 25 marker, relating it to the referendums we have had recently. I also mentioned about how we only have constitutional referendums and why, just for good measure :P

The second ten marker I was so puzzled on, about the FPTP and how it tends not to produce coalition governments. Luckily the extract was full of the information so I just blagged my way through it I think.

I can't remember my conclusion :tongue: Pretty sure I messed that up. I talked about Major's sex scandal led to a decline in votes for Tories 1992 - volatile because the media changed a steady voting pattern (something along those lines) for the Cons.
Reply 8
I done Electoral Systems and Political Parties.

10 Mark Electoral Systems - Why does FPTP not usually result in coalitions in Westminister:

Background on FPTP - Majoritarian, Non-Preferential, Non-Transferable Vote

Majoritarian systems favour main parties, proportional systems allow minority parties to perform well

Voters for minority parties are spread out and not concentrated in one area, therefore minority parties find it hard to gain a majority in a constituency

Little voter choice as there is only really two real parties with a chance of winning so often people feel votes for minority parties are wasted

25 Mark Electoral Systems - Do Referendums benefit the UK:

What a referendum is and how they are used in UK, how they are brought about and referendums in other countries including initiative

Most pure form of direct democracy, 'power to the people', classic tool of direct democracy, enhances voter views being represented which can lead to increased participation

Prevent dangerous divisions within a party as they give a clear answer either way - discussed how some MP's in Conservative party want Referendum on Europe and how this would help to stop the disputes

Can provide answers in parliamentary deadlock and solve tricky moral questions - mentioned 1995 Referendum in Eire on whether to legalise divorce

Inconsistent with our representative democracy, undermining our traditions and taking the decisions out of the governments hands which is what we wanted as shown in the rejection of the AV system in 2011 in which we favoured a majoritarian system under representative democracy

Regular use can lead to apathy - discussed Switzerland averaging 4 per year and how voter turnout to these referendums has decreased

Most questions are too complicated for the general public to understand and many are too hard for a simple yes/no - discussed if public would know full implications of joining the Euro Currency or leaving the EU

Decisions are not always final - discussed the Referendum for a Scottish Parliament in 1979 and again in 1997

Conclusion summing up main points and suggested that they were in fact bad for UK as they could cause more harm than they are worth and we should let the Government make the decisions under our representative democracy

25 Mark Political Parties - Evaluate the roles and functions of Political Parties in the UK:

Summed up what a political party is - people with same ideological beliefs and principles seeking power through political office

Represent views of public - yes: many members join as they agree with their beliefs and policies - no: some believe parties are out of touch e.g bedroom tax

Formulate policy and manifesto - yes: Conservatives have managed to reduce welfare handouts through means testing and bedroom tax - no: Labour failed full electoral reform promised in 1997 manifesto and Liberal Democrats failed on their university fees promise

Political recruitment - yes: many members and many local councilors, MP's and let local supports get involved in canvassing and campaigning - no: some people are not allowed to run for election, discussed Emma Lewell-Buck being elected MP of Shields and her local council seat opening up in Primrose where Labour are proposing an all-women candidate list

Conclusion - summed up all parties perform roles well, but all parties also fail to perform these roles and functions at least once in history

Reply 9
Original post by William24
I done Electoral Systems and Political Parties.

10 Mark Electoral Systems - Why does FPTP not usually result in coalitions in Westminister:

Background on FPTP - Majoritarian, Non-Preferential, Non-Transferable Vote

Majoritarian systems favour main parties, proportional systems allow minority parties to perform well

Voters for minority parties are spread out and not concentrated in one area, therefore minority parties find it hard to gain a majority in a constituency

Little voter choice as there is only really two real parties with a chance of winning so often people feel votes for minority parties are wasted

25 Mark Electoral Systems - Do Referendums benefit the UK:

What a referendum is and how they are used in UK, how they are brought about and referendums in other countries including initiative

Most pure form of direct democracy, 'power to the people', classic tool of direct democracy, enhances voter views being represented which can lead to increased participation

Prevent dangerous divisions within a party as they give a clear answer either way - discussed how some MP's in Conservative party want Referendum on Europe and how this would help to stop the disputes

Can provide answers in parliamentary deadlock and solve tricky moral questions - mentioned 1995 Referendum in Eire on whether to legalise divorce

Inconsistent with our representative democracy, undermining our traditions and taking the decisions out of the governments hands which is what we wanted as shown in the rejection of the AV system in 2011 in which we favoured a majoritarian system under representative democracy

Regular use can lead to apathy - discussed Switzerland averaging 4 per year and how voter turnout to these referendums has decreased

Most questions are too complicated for the general public to understand and many are too hard for a simple yes/no - discussed if public would know full implications of joining the Euro Currency or leaving the EU

Decisions are not always final - discussed the Referendum for a Scottish Parliament in 1979 and again in 1997

Conclusion summing up main points and suggested that they were in fact bad for UK as they could cause more harm than they are worth and we should let the Government make the decisions under our representative democracy

25 Mark Political Parties - Evaluate the roles and functions of Political Parties in the UK:

Summed up what a political party is - people with same ideological beliefs and principles seeking power through political office

Represent views of public - yes: many members join as they agree with their beliefs and policies - no: some believe parties are out of touch e.g bedroom tax

Formulate policy and manifesto - yes: Conservatives have managed to reduce welfare handouts through means testing and bedroom tax - no: Labour failed full electoral reform promised in 1997 manifesto and Liberal Democrats failed on their university fees promise

Political recruitment - yes: many members and many local councilors, MP's and let local supports get involved in canvassing and campaigning - no: some people are not allowed to run for election, discussed Emma Lewell-Buck being elected MP of Shields and her local council seat opening up in Primrose where Labour are proposing an all-women candidate list

Conclusion - summed up all parties perform roles well, but all parties also fail to perform these roles and functions at least once in history

Similar points to you on the referendum Q. Didn't talk about initiatives though. Do we need to? I gave a quick definition.
Reply 10
Original post by Phil Dunphy
Similar points to you on the referendum Q. Didn't talk about initiatives though. Do we need to? I gave a quick definition.

Wouldn't of thought so, just wanted to pad it out a bit and compare referendums in the UK to referendums in other countries.
Wouldn't of thought so, just wanted to pad it out a bit and compare referendums in the UK to referendums in other countries.

The fptp question was very hard! I said it favours main two parties and isn't proportional so doesn't give third parties (those who form coalitions) a chance to cause a coalition
Reply 12
Couldn't sleep the night before this exam (vomiting..) and completely failed the exam!

Does anyone know if I could retake in Jan? It was really bad I only did two 5 marker, 2 10 marker (both ****) and 1 horrible essay on VB.

My hand was shaking so bad I had to respell my name 3 bloody times!!

Also will me retaking this 1 unit affect my chances of getting into uni ? As in when I send them my politics AS results do they know I'm resitting?

Sorry about all the q's but I need answers, felt like such a failure since this mornings exam
Original post by Hodan1996
Couldn't sleep the night before this exam (vomiting..) and completely failed the exam!

Does anyone know if I could retake in Jan? It was really bad I only did two 5 marker, 2 10 marker (both ****) and 1 horrible essay on VB.

Also will me retaking this 1 unit affect my chances of getting into uni ? As in when I send them my politics AS results do they know I'm resitting?

Sorry about all the q's but I need answers, felt like such a failure since this mornings exam

Me too :tongue: I couldn't sleep.

Luckily I finished but my VB essay was also scrappy and unbalanced.

Unfortunately there are no more Jan exams :frown: Thanks to Gove...

If you don't get the result you want retake next May :smile:
Reply 14

Aw I'm so sorry to hear that! I was quite nervous for this exam too and feeling rather ill also :frown: Sounds like you had it a lot worse than me though! You won't be able to retake the exam in January as those resits have been scrapped, but you should be allowed to resit it next Summer?

As far as I know, sixth forms arent doing january exams next year so we have to sit all of our exams in the summer.. thats gonna make it so much harder :frown:
Reply 16
Aw I'm so sorry to hear that! I was quite nervous for this exam too and feeling rather ill also :frown: Sounds like you had it a lot worse than me though! You won't be able to retake the exam in January as those resits have been scrapped, but you should be allowed to resit it next Summer?

Yeah that's what I was dreading. Do you know if this bad grade would affect me getting into Uni at all ?
Reply 17
Yeah that's what I was dreading. Do you know if this bad grade would affect me getting into Uni at all ?

I wouldn't of thought so, as long as you resit it to bring it up you should be fine :smile: It would only be a problem if you began resitting every exam you took.
Reply 18
I wouldn't of thought so, as long as you resit it to bring it up you should be fine :smile: It would only be a problem if you began resitting every exam you took.

Oh ok I've been sooo worried, yeah this'll be my only retake. I just need to focus on my other exams. Thanks
Reply 19
Bump

Does anyone know what the 5 marker definitions were for this paper?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending