The Student Room Group

OCR M3: Rigid Objects Question 4

Hi, I've drawn a diagram and derived that
0.2 * R = sin alpha * X + 0.5 cos alpha * W. where R is the normal reaction force where the drum meets the rod, W is the weight alpha is the angle the rod makes with the ground. I did this by taking moments at the point where the rod touches the ground. I also know that a vertical force destroys symmetry, I am just stuck at this point. Thanks for the help.

This is the question:

Two uniform rods AB and BC, each 1 metre and W newtons in weight, are connected at P by a smooth pin joint. The rods rest symmetrically in equilibrium in contact with a smooth cylindrical drum of radius 0.8 metes with its axis fixed and horizontal. Explain why the force from the pin on each rod is horizontal, and calculate the angle between the rods.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Edit: they don't actually touch the ground ( the rods)
Reply 2
I think
Reply 3
Could someone please help me out? I am quite stuck.
Original post by HashBrowns
Hi, I've drawn a diagram and derived that
0.2 * R = sin alpha * X + 0.5 cos alpha * W. where R is the normal reaction force where the drum meets the rod, W is the weight alpha is the angle the rod makes with the ground. I did this by taking moments at the point where the rod touches the ground. I also know that a vertical force destroys symmetry, I am just stuck at this point. Thanks for the help.

OK, how did you get that equation first of all, as it doesn't look right.

PS, the more info the better - I don't want to play 20 questions.
Reply 5
I presume you knew why forces I was referring to? I also mentioned how I derived it
Reply 6
Original post by ghostwalker
OK, how did you get that equation first of all, as it doesn't look right.

PS, the more info the better - I don't want to play 20 questions.

Please see above
I presume you knew why forces I was referring to? I also mentioned how I derived it

Yes, sorry you did say how you'd derived it.

Though in your later post, you realised they don't actually touch the ground - which is true, they don't.

Also where does the 0.2 come from?
Reply 8
The length of the rod is 1m, and the radius is 0.8m , from the diagram the distance to R from the bottom of the rod is 1-0.8m.
Reply 9
Yes, sorry you did say how you'd derived it.

Though in your later post, you realised they don't actually touch the ground - which is true, they don't.

Also where does the 0.2 come from?

Please see above.
The length of the rod is 1m, and the radius is 0.8m , from the diagram the distance to R from the bottom of the rod is 1-0.8m.

Here's my drawing.
Reply 11
Here's my drawing.

So if you construct two radii to the points you should see why. I think
Reply 12
Sorry I am wrong!
Sorry I am wrong!

OK.

I'd resolve vertically initially, so you can find R in terms of W and the angle.

Then take moments about the pin.

PS: Don't worry about keep quoting me; I normally only look at this forum, and I check the threads I've posted on already.
Reply 14
Ok so do I take moments about the pin for separate rods or for the whole system. I ask because the question is asked before the topic of whole systems is mentioned - it is mentioned later.
Ok so do I take moments about the pin for separate rods or for the whole system. I ask because the question is asked before the topic of whole systems is mentioned - it is mentioned later.

Just take moments about the pin for one of the rods.
Reply 16
So x * R = 0.5 cos a * W and R * cos a = W
So x * R = 0.5 cos a * W and R * cos a = W

OK, so we now need to get rid of "x".

Can you see a triangle involving x, that would allow you to express it in terms of a, and some constant?
Reply 18
I used the sine rule for the triangle with two radii as sides two show the length of the longer side is 1.6 cos a. From there I used another triangle to show x = 0.8. Is this wrong?
Reply 19
It may help if you show me your solution.

Quick Reply