The Student Room Group

How many sexual partners

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Redolent
To each their own. As far as I'm concerned people who don't respect me have earned no favours from me.

I get what you mean but for a one night you're using each other no? I don't actually have one night stands, I just don't judge those that do.
I've read the majority of the posts in this thread and it seems there is often great misinterpretation of what is being said.

When people say 23 or 38 people is 'a lot' they are not necessarily saying there is anything wrong with that. They are stating a fact and backing it up with evidence (eg, citing studies which say the average number is 7 etc..).
I wonder if people would be saying its a lot if this were a guy talking?
Reply 123
all a bunch of hoes^
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I get what you mean but for a one night you're using each other no? I don't actually have one night stands, I just don't judge those that do.

Yes you are both getting something out of it, but if it comes at the price of letting someone think they've just "conquered" you like some sort of obedient animal, I don't think that is a good deal at all. That is why people say "self respect" comes into it - you may be getting pleasure out of it, but why let some douchebag think of you as his little conquered slut at all? Is a bit of sex worth that? And besides, it's not like that's your only option when it comes to getting sex. If I had a one night stand with someone I would respect them and so would many others, but there's really no shortage of men who just see the women they sleep with as a wet hole with legs, and if I was a girl I wouldn't want to be seen as that by anyone.
Reply 125
Original post by Kabloomybuzz

funny because people have already mentioned that it would still be bad if it was a guy we are talking about.
(edited 10 years ago)
Yes you are both getting something out of it, but if it comes at the price of letting someone think they've just "conquered" you like some sort of obedient animal, I don't think that is a good deal at all. That is why people say "self respect" comes into it - you may be getting pleasure out of it, but why let some douchebag think of you as his little conquered slut at all? Is a bit of sex worth that? And besides, it's not like that's your only option when it comes to getting sex. If I had a one night stand with someone I would respect them and so would many others, but there's really no shortage of men who just see the women they sleep with as a wet hole with legs, and if I was a girl I wouldn't want to be seen as that by anyone.

I think there's a bit of illogical thinking here. "Self-respect" is what the title implies: having respect for yourself. It could not matter less what someone else thinks of you. All that matters is that you aren't ashamed of your actions. What the guy's opinion on the matter is is irrelevant. And in fact, acting on how you think it appears to him or society is caused by a lack of self respect, lack of confidence and desperation for other people's approval. Pretty much the opposite.
Reply 127
Original post by Kabloomybuzz

If you look up a bit, yes, they are.
Original post by MelanieDickson
I think there's a bit of illogical thinking here. "Self-respect" is what the title implies: having respect for yourself. It could not matter less what someone else thinks of you. All that matters is that you aren't ashamed of your actions. What the guy's opinion on the matter is is irrelevant. And in fact, acting on how you think it appears to him or society is caused by a lack of self respect, lack of confidence and desperation for other people's approval. Pretty much the opposite.

Yeah I see what you mean, but I see self-respect as being linked to pride, and it would be my pride in myself that would stop me from sleeping with somebody who had no respect for me. I would respect myself enough to believe that I deserve better than that.
It's just a personal thing, it depends on how much emotion you attach to sex.

Some people see it as a very intimate emotional thing and would only do it with someone they love, so their number would be 1/2.
Some people see it as a purely physical act and so would have many sexual partners.

Personally I see it as somewhere in between, hence my number is in between (6). I don't have to be in love with someone to sleep with them, but I have to know them well and like them a lot as a person.

Any STD arguments on this thread are completely irrelevant. These days catching STDs is more closely related to how careful you are with condoms and how often you get tested than how many people you've slept with.
Reply 130
Original post by Anonymous
Something that happened at work today got me thinking. Basically there were 6 of us having lunch together (all female) and one was saying about a guy she had pulled last weekend. This made one of the others ask her how many people she had slept with and she answered 23. This caused shock among 3 of the group who seemed to think it was a massive amount with 1 saying she had only slept with 2 people and another saying she could count on 1 hand.

Me and another girl kept quite quiet after that but I didnt think it was all that many. I had a private word with the other girl that had been quiet later and turned out she hadnt said anything because she was 'just into double figures'.

My total is more than 23 and Ive never thought that was a particularly big number. Im questioning that after today so would appreciate some views from here.

So, would you admit your a slag?
Reply 131
23 and you haven't got AIDS yet, gotta respect you.
preparing for the negs... but thats actually pretty disgusting and I don't see why you'd be proud of that or publicly want to announce it ...:/
what happened to decency, self respect and modest? :confused: each to their own I guess..
Yeah I see what you mean, but I see self-respect as being linked to pride, and it would be my pride in myself that would stop me from sleeping with somebody who had no respect for me. I would respect myself enough to believe that I deserve better than that.

I see what you're saying and don't see any problem with you living your life this way, but I don't think that means its applicable to other people. I can't see any reason why directing your pride towards sexual partners is any more 'self-respecting' than directing it towards, say, taste in television. I hate soaps because I think I deserve a better class of television but I would hardly call anyone who watches them 'lacking in self-respect.' The phrase is far more to do with how you see yourself and what your own priorities in being the person you want to be than other people's.

If you place high value on sex and high value on your physical form, then sleep around people out of desperation, that might be a sign of no self-respect. But if sex isn't very important to you and you place higher values on other areas of your life (say education, career, culture, travel etc) then why the hell shouldn't you sleep around? What difference does that make to your value in these areas? There's nothing wrong with preserving your body if that is important to yourself, but implying that its a necessary priority for all women is really just a shoutback to the days when women were considered nothing more than a vessel for sex and children.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 134
I think it's too many - but that's just my opinion.

There's so many people who have said that there's nothing wrong with enjoying sex and sleeping with a large number of people. Surely sex is more enjoyable when somebody actually takes the time to know what you enjoy - especially for women. I mean, when you're with someone and you trust them, you can try new things and experiment. Maybe some women are just more easily pleased, or they're just kidding themselves that having meaningless, quick sex with someone you barely know is actually enjoyable.

I think there's too many girls these days who are so easily pleased, and will happily jump into bed with any guy who pays them a compliment, so they start to get this 'easy' reputation - it's easy to get them to have sex with you and it's easy to please them. I think there's a lot of men who think they'll do for the time being, but they're not really long term girlfriend material. My boyfriend waited a long time for me, and I know he'd be put off if I'd slept with loads of people before. This is just my opinion though, obviously each to their own.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 135
Original post by wildbluesun
I read a survey once that said lifetime average is ~10. So. Um. Make of that what you will.

Mine is 38. I wonder if anyone will neg me for enjoying sex? :P
Although I haven't had sex in about a month now. Been off it because of exams.

(Quick FAQ: Yes, I am capable of being in loving relationships. No, I don't have any STDs. No, I've never been pregnant. No, I don't have trust/commitment/daddy issues. Yes, I do have self respect.)

Oh really?
Reply 136
Girl posts thread about quitting education
- Hardly anyone cares
- Couple of responses about "do what's right for you" "think about it"

Girl posts thread about having sex
-Hundreds of responses
- "Slag"
- "Worthless"
- "No Self-Respect"

Seriously, **** society. You should all be ashamed.
Original post by MelanieDickson
I see what you're saying and don't see any problem with you living your life this way, but I don't think that means its applicable to other people. I can't see any reason why directing your pride towards sexual partners is any more 'self-respecting' than directing it towards, say, taste in television. I hate soaps because I think I deserve a better class of television but I would hardly call anyone who watches them 'lacking in self-respect.' The phrase is far more to do with how you see yourself and what your own priorities in being the person you want to be than other people's.

If you place high value on sex and high value on your physical form, then sleep around people out of desperation, that might be a sign of no self-respect. But if sex isn't very important to you and you place higher values on other areas of your life (say education, career, culture, travel etc) then why the hell shouldn't you sleep around? What difference does that make to your value in these areas? There's nothing wrong with preserving your body if that is important to yourself, but implying that its a necessary priority for all women is really just a shoutback to the days when women were considered nothing more than a vessel for sex and children.

I'm not at all saying that not sleeping around should be a "priority for all women", I don't really care what people do with their personal lives (beyond my previous statement that I'd prefer a romantic partner who doesn't sleep with strange men on a regular basis). This really isn't much about what "women should do" at all, I just don't see why you would want to sleep with someone who sees you as an object, you're allowing someone to belittle you and indulging them.

That's what I don't get. The way this attitude of "I'm not an object, I can sleep with whoever I like and it doesn't reflect anything about me!" seems to come from women who are happy with the idea of sleeping with random men in clubs, men who moreso than anyone else do see them as a sex object (not all of them by any means, but many of them). I mean wouldn't the point come through a bit better if they refused to sleep with men who had such objectified views of women, thereby not rewarding their misogyny with female attention? And yet all of the contempt seems to be reserved for the ones who say, "Hey, I don't think you should sleep with guys like that, they have no respect for you."

Which just gets a, "Hey, don't tell me what to do with my body!" Well I don't think sleeping with misogynists really proves any point at all.

If I had a male friend who was going to sleep with a woman who had a ****ty attitude towards him, I would warn him off too.
Original post by Misstery
Girl posts thread about quitting education
- Hardly anyone cares
- Couple of responses about "do what's right for you" "think about it"

Girl posts thread about having sex
-Hundreds of responses
- "Slag"
- "Worthless"
- "No Self-Respect"

Seriously, **** society. You should all be ashamed.

I will never date a girl who is not educated. And personally frown on it by calling them dimwitted bimbos.

So you are wrong
That's what I don't get. The way this attitude of "I'm not an object, I can sleep with whoever I like and it doesn't reflect anything about me!" seems to come from women who are happy with the idea of sleeping with random men in clubs, men who moreso than anyone else do see them as a sex object (not all of them by any means, but many of them). I mean wouldn't the point come through a bit better if they refused to sleep with men who had such objectified views of women, thereby not rewarding their misogyny with female attention? And yet all of the contempt seems to be reserved for the ones who say, "Hey, I don't think you should sleep with guys like that, they have no respect for you."

That's fair, but again only applicable to women who prioritize this kind of thing. Not every women is out there to prove anything or "make a point" regarding sex.

For example my priority in life is my degree program and hopefully further scientific research. I have all the pride and self-respect I need from this. I'm content with who I am. I am proud of my skill and achievements. Sex is a tertiary priority at very, very best. The idea that I would care about some random guy in a club's opinion of me for that is actually laughable. If one guy sees me as a sex object, who cares? I don't mean to sound arrogant, and I'm saying this to making a point only, but I'm probably doing better than him. I'm probably more intelligent than him. Realistically, if he considers me as a sex object only, that's his loss, not mine. I know I have more to offer than that and I really couldn't care less if a stranger recognizes that or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending